Los Angeles, CA 90095 Dept. of Physiology,
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Office Phone Number:
Associate Dean, Life Sciences
Member, Brain Research Institute, Center for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Molecular, Cellular & Integrative Physiology GPB Home Area
Dr. Grinnell received his B.A. in 1958 and his PhD in 1962, both from Harvard. He did postdoctoral training in the laboratory of Prof. Bernard Katz, University College London (1962-64) and with Prof. T. H. Bullock, UCLA, (1964-65). He was appointed an Assitant Prof. of Biology at UCLA in 1964, Assoc. Prof. in 1966, and Full Prof. in 1971. Since 1972 he has been a Prof. in the Dept. of Physiology. In 1977 he was named Head of the Ahmanson Laboratory of Neurobiology in the BRI, and from 1978-2002 was Director of the Jerry Lewis Neuromuscular Research Center. IN 1997 he joined the Dept. of Physiological Science and chaired that department until 2001. Since 1990, he has been a Researtch Associate of the Fowler Museum of Cultural History.
A selected list of publications:
- Yazejian Bruce, Yazejian Rita M, Einarsson Rachel, Grinnell Alan D Simultaneous pre- and post-synaptic electrophysiological recording from Xenopus nerve-muscle co-cultures Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE, 2013; (73): e50253.
- Kim Michelle H, Kay Danielle I, Rudra Renuka T, Chen Bo Ming, Hsu Nigel, Izumiya Yasuhiro, Martinez Leonel, Spencer Melissa J, Walsh Kenneth, Grinnell Alan D, Crosbie Rachelle H Myogenic Akt signaling attenuates muscular degeneration, promotes myofiber regeneration and improves muscle function in dystrophin-deficient mdx mice Human molecular genetics, 2011; 20(7): 1324-38.
- Sun Xiao-Ping, Chen Bo-Ming, Sand Olav, Kidokoro Yoshi, Grinnell Alan D Depolarization-induced Ca2+ entry preferentially evokes release of large quanta in the developing Xenopus neuromuscular junction Journal of neurophysiology, 2010; 104(5): 2730-40.
- Grinnell, A.D. Echolocation I: Behavior, New Encyclopedia of Neuroscience, ed. L. R. Squire, in press,, 2007; .
- Grinnell, A.D. How Muscle Stretch In fluences Neuromuscular Transmission, ed. L. R. Squire, in press, New Encyclopedia of Neuroscience, 2007; .
- Sun, X-P, Yazejian, B. and Grinnell, A.D. Electrophysiological properties of BK channels in Xenopus motor nerve terminals, J. Physiol, 2004; 557: 207-228.
- Sun, XP Yazejian, B Grinnell, AD Electrophysiological properties of BK channels in Xenopus motor nerve terminals The Journal of physiology. , 2004; 557(Pt 1): 207-28.
- Sun Xiao-Ping, Yazejian Bruce, Grinnell Alan D Electrophysiological properties of BK channels in Xenopus motor nerve terminals The Journal of physiology, 2004; 557(Pt 1): 207-28.
- Grinnell Alan D, Chen Bo-Ming, Kashani Amir, Lin Jennifer, Suzuki Kazuhiro, Kidokoro Yoshiaki The role of integrins in the modulation of neurotransmitter release from motor nerve terminals by stretch and hypertonicity Journal of neurocytology, 2004; 32(5-8): 489-503.
- Grinnell, A.D., Chen, B.-M., Kashani, A., Lin, J., Suzuki, K., and Kidokoro, Y. The role of integrins in the modulation of neurotransmitter release from motor nerve terminals by stretch and hypertonicity, J. Neurocytol, 2003; 32: 489-503.
- Suzuki, K Grinnell, AD Kidokoro, Y Hypertonicity-induced transmitter release at Drosophila neuromuscular junctions is partly mediated by integrins and cAMP/protein kinase A The Journal of physiology. , 2002; 538(Pt 1): 103-19.
- Sand, O Chen, BM Grinnell, AD Contribution of L-type Ca(2+) channels to evoked transmitter release in cultured Xenopus nerve-muscle synapses The Journal of physiology. , 2001; 536(Pt 1): 21-33.
- Kashani, A., Chen, B.-M., and Grinnell Osmotic modulation of transmitter release from frog motor nerve terminals: Ca++-independence and role of integrins, J. Physiol, 2001; 530: 243-252.
- Yazejian, B, Sun, X.-P, and Grinnell, A.D. Tracking presynaptic Ca++ dynamics during neurotransmitter release with Ca-activated K+ channels, Nature Neuroscience, 2000; 3: 566-571.
- Kalko, E.K.V., Schnitzler, H.-U., Kaipf, I & Grinnell, A.D. Hunting and echolocation behavior in Noctilio albiventris: the evolution of piscivory, Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, 1998; 45: 305-319.
- Chen, B.M and Grinnell, A.D. Kinetics, Ca++ dependence, and biophysical properties of integrin-mediated mechanical modulation of transmitter release from frog motor nerve terminals, J. Neuroscience, 1997; 17: 904-916.
- Yazejian, B DiGregorio, DA Vergara, JL Poage, RE Meriney, SD Grinnell, AD Direct measurements of presynaptic calcium and calcium-activated potassium currents regulating neurotransmitter release at cultured Xenopus nerve-muscle synapses The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience. , 1997; 17(9): 2990-3001.
- Harada, Y Grinnell, AD Regeneration of specific innervation in Xenopus pectoralis muscle Journal of neurobiology. , 1996; 31(4): 433-48.
- Grinnell, AD Harada, Y Specificity and development of innervation pattern of Xenopus pectoralis muscle Journal of neurobiology. , 1996; 31(4): 415-32.
- Grinnell, AD Dynamics of nerve-muscle interaction in developing and mature neuromuscular junctions Physiological reviews. , 1995; 75(4): 789-834.
- Chen, B.M. and Grinnell, A.D. Integrins help mediate the stretch-induced modulation of transmitter release from frog motor nerve terminals, Science, 1995; 269: 1578-1580.