Professor, Medicine, University of California Los Angeles
675 Charles E Young Drive S,
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Member, Molecular Biology Institute, Cell & Developmental Biology GPB Home Area, Molecular Pharmacology GPB Home Area, Molecular, Cellular & Integrative Physiology GPB Home Area, Cardiovascular Research Laboratory
Dr. Arjun Deb seeks to develop methods to augment wound healing and decrease scarring in the heart following heart attacks. More than 700,000 individuals have a heart attack every year in the United States and heart attacks account for more than 40% of all cases pf heart failure. Dr. Deb’s lab is interested in developing therapueitc targetign molecular mechanisms that perpetuate scarring and worsen heart failure. A professor in the Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology at UCLAs David Geffen School of Medicine, Dr. Deb earned his medical degree at the University of Calcutta, India, and completed his residency in internal medicine at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine in Minnesota where he also completed a fellowship in cardiovascular diseases. He then completed research fellowships at Mayo and at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. Besides the UCLA Broad Stem Cell Research Center, he is a member of the Cardiovascular Research Laboratory, the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center (Cancer and Stem Cell Biology Program), the Molecular Cellular and Integrative Physiology Program, and the Cell and Developmental Biology Program. He is also a member of the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology. Dr. Deb received the Louis N and Arnold M Katz Basic Science Research Prize awarded by the American Heart Association, the American College of Cardiology Foundation/Keating Career Development Award in Hypertension & Peripheral Vascular Disease, the Ellison Medical Foundation New Scholar in Aging Award, an NIH Pathway to Independence Award, a Glaxo Smith Kline Beecham Cardiovascular Research Foundation Young Investigator Award, the Medical Foundation of North Carolina Excellence Fund Award, and a Basic Science Young Investigator Award by the American College of Cardiology. His research is funded by the National Institutes of Health.
- Li S, Yokota T, Wang P, Ten Hoeve J, Ma F, Le TM, Abt ER, Zhou Y, Wu R, Nanthavongdouangsy M, Rodriguez A, Wang Y, Lin YJ, Muranaka H, Sharpley M, Braddock DT, MacRae VE, Banerjee U, Chiou PY, Seldin M, Huang D, Teitell M, Gertsman I, Jung M, Bensinger SJ, Damoiseaux R, Faull K, Pellegrini M, Lusis AJ, Graeber TG, Radu CG, Deb A. Cardiomyocytes disrupt pyrimidine biosynthesis in nonmyocytes to regulate heart repair.. The Journal of clinical investigation, 2022.
- Deb A. PLucKing at Vascular Fibrosis.. JACC. Basic to translational science, 2021.
- Hilser JR, Han Y, Biswas S, Gukasyan J, Cai Z, Zhu R, Tang WHW, Deb A, Lusis AJ, Hartiala JA, Allayee H. Association of serum HDL-cholesterol and apolipoprotein A1 levels with risk of severe SARS-CoV-2 infection.. Journal of lipid research, 2021.
- Li S, Ma F, Yokota T, Garcia G, Palermo A, Wang Y, Farrell C, Wang YC, Wu R, Zhou Z, Pan C, Morselli M, Teitell MA, Ryazantsev S, Fishbein GA, Hoeve JT, Arboleda VA, Bloom J, Dillon B, Pellegrini M, Lusis AJ, Graeber TG, Arumugaswami V, Deb A. Metabolic reprogramming and epigenetic changes of vital organs in SARS-CoV-2-induced systemic toxicity.. JCI insight, 2021.
- Wu R, Ma F, Tosevska A, Farrell C, Pellegrini M, Deb A. Cardiac fibroblast proliferation rates and collagen expression mature early and are unaltered with advancing age.. JCI insight, 2020.
- Yokota T, McCourt J, Ma F, Ren S, Li S, Kim TH, Kurmangaliyev YZ, Nasiri R, Ahadian S, Nguyen T, Tan XHM, Zhou Y, Wu R, Rodriguez A, Cohn W, Wang Y, Whitelegge J, Ryazantsev S, Khademhosseini A, Teitell MA, Chiou PY, Birk DE, Rowat AC, Crosbie RH, Pellegrini M, Seldin M, Lusis AJ, Deb A. Type V Collagen in Scar Tissue Regulates the Size of Scar after Heart Injury.. Cell, 2020.
- Yang H, Sun L, Cai W, Gu J, Xu D, Deb A, Duan J. DDR2, a discoidin domain receptor, is a marker of periosteal osteoblast and osteoblast progenitors.. Journal of bone and mineral metabolism, 2020.
- Deb A. How Stem Cells Turn into Bone and Fat.. The New England journal of medicine, 2019.
- Huo R, Hu C, Zhao L, Sun L, Wang N, Lu Y, Ye B, Deb A, Li F, Xu H. Enhancement of β-catenin/T-cell factor 4 signaling causes susceptibility to cardiac arrhythmia by suppressing NaV1.5 expression in mice.. Heart rhythm, 2019.
- Shigeta A, Huang V, Zuo J, Besada R, Nakashima Y, Lu Y, Ding Y, Pellegrini M, Kulkarni RP, Hsiai T, Deb A, Zhou B, Nakano H, Nakano A. Endocardially Derived Macrophages Are Essential for Valvular Remodeling.. Developmental cell, 2019.
- Lin LY, Chun Chang S, O'Hearn J, Hui ST, Seldin M, Gupta P, Bondar G, Deng M, Jauhiainen R, Kuusisto J, Laakso M, Sinsheimer JS, Deb A, Rau C, Ren S, Wang Y, Lusis AJ, Wang JJ, Huertas-Vazquez A. Systems Genetics Approach to Biomarker Discovery: GPNMB and Heart Failure in Mice and Humans.. G3 (Bethesda, Md.), 2018.
- Yu J, Seldin MM, Fu K, Li S, Lam L, Wang P, Wang Y, Huang D, Nguyen TL, Wei B, Kulkarni RP, Di Carlo D, Teitell M, Pellegrini M, Lusis AJ, Deb A. Topological Arrangement of Cardiac Fibroblasts Regulates Cellular Plasticity.. Circulation research, 2018.
- Foulquier S, Daskalopoulos EP, Lluri G, Hermans KCM, Deb A, Blankesteijn WM. WNT Signaling in Cardiac and Vascular Disease.. Pharmacological reviews, 2018.
- Lluri G, Renella P, Finn JP, Vorobiof G, Aboulhosn J, Deb A. Prognostic Significance of Left Ventricular Fibrosis in Patients With Congenital Bicuspid Aortic Valve.. The American journal of cardiology, 2017.
- Monaghan MG, Holeiter M, Brauchle E, Layland SL, Lu Y, Deb A, Pandit A, Nsair A, Schenke-Layland K. Exogenous miR-29B Delivery Through a Hyaluronan-Based Injectable System Yields Functional Maintenance of the Infarcted Myocardium.. Tissue engineering. Part A, 2017.
- Seldin MM, Kim ED, Romay MC, Li S, Rau CD, Wang JJ, Krishnan KC, Wang Y, Deb A, Lusis AJ. A systems genetics approach identifies Trp53inp2 as a link between cardiomyocyte glucose utilization and hypertrophic response.. American journal of physiology. Heart and circulatory physiology, 2017.
- Pillai ICL, Li S, Romay M, Lam L, Lu Y, Huang J, Dillard N, Zemanova M, Rubbi L, Wang Y, Lee J, Xia M, Liang O, Xie YH, Pellegrini M, Lusis AJ, Deb A. Cardiac Fibroblasts Adopt Osteogenic Fates and Can Be Targeted to Attenuate Pathological Heart Calcification.. Cell stem cell, 2016.
- Wang Z, Zhang XJ, Ji YX, Zhang P, Deng KQ, Gong J, Ren S, Wang X, Chen I, Wang H, Gao C, Yokota T, Ang YS, Li S, Cass A, Vondriska TM, Li G, Deb A, Srivastava D, Yang HT, Xiao X, Li H, Wang Y. The long noncoding RNA Chaer defines an epigenetic checkpoint in cardiac hypertrophy.. Nature medicine, 2016.
- Murray IR, Baily JE, Chen WCW, Dar A, Gonzalez ZN, Jensen AR, Petrigliano FA, Deb A, Henderson NC. Skeletal and cardiac muscle pericytes: Functions and therapeutic potential.. Pharmacology & therapeutics, 2016.
- Brumm AJ, Nunez S, Doroudchi MM, Kawaguchi R, Duan J, Pellegrini M, Lam L, Carmichael ST, Deb A, Hinman JD. Astrocytes Can Adopt Endothelial Cell Fates in a p53-Dependent Manner.. Molecular neurobiology, 2016.
- Deb A, Wang Y. Hypertrophic preconditioning: short-term tricks for long-term gain.. Circulation, 2015.
- Ubil E, Duan J, Pillai IC, Rosa-Garrido M, Wu Y, Bargiacchi F, Lu Y, Stanbouly S, Huang J, Rojas M, Vondriska TM, Stefani E, Deb A. Mesenchymal-endothelial transition contributes to cardiac neovascularization.. Nature, 2014.
- Deb A, Ubil E. Cardiac fibroblast in development and wound healing.. Journal of molecular and cellular cardiology, 2014.
- Deb A. Cell-cell interaction in the heart via Wnt/β-catenin pathway after cardiac injury.. Cardiovascular research, 2014.
- Duan J, Gherghe C, Liu D, Hamlett E, Srikantha L, Rodgers L, Regan JN, Rojas M, Willis M, Leask A, Majesky M, Deb A. Wnt1/βcatenin injury response activates the epicardium and cardiac fibroblasts to promote cardiac repair.. The EMBO journal, 2011.
- Gherghe CM, Duan J, Gong J, Rojas M, Klauber-Demore N, Majesky M, Deb A. Wnt1 is a proangiogenic molecule, enhances human endothelial progenitor function, and increases blood flow to ischemic limbs in a HGF-dependent manner.. FASEB journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, 2011.
- Huang J, Zhang Z, Guo J, Ni A, Deb A, Zhang L, Mirotsou M, Pratt RE, Dzau VJ. Genetic modification of mesenchymal stem cells overexpressing CCR1 increases cell viability, migration, engraftment, and capillary density in the injured myocardium.. Circulation research, 2010.
- Deb A, Patterson C. Hard luck stories: the reality of endothelial progenitor cells continues to fall short of the promise.. Circulation, 2010.
- Zhang Z, Deb A, Zhang Z, Pachori A, He W, Guo J, Pratt R, Dzau VJ. Secreted frizzled related protein 2 protects cells from apoptosis by blocking the effect of canonical Wnt3a.. Journal of molecular and cellular cardiology, 2008.
- Deb A, Davis BH, Guo J, Ni A, Huang J, Zhang Z, Mu H, Dzau VJ. SFRP2 regulates cardiomyogenic differentiation by inhibiting a positive transcriptional autofeedback loop of Wnt3a.. Stem cells (Dayton, Ohio), 2007.
- Mirotsou M, Zhang Z, Deb A, Zhang L, Gnecchi M, Noiseux N, Mu H, Pachori A, Dzau V. Secreted frizzled related protein 2 (Sfrp2) is the key Akt-mesenchymal stem cell-released paracrine factor mediating myocardial survival and repair.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2007.
- Noiseux N, Gnecchi M, Lopez-Ilasaca M, Zhang L, Solomon SD, Deb A, Dzau VJ, Pratt RE. Mesenchymal stem cells overexpressing Akt dramatically repair infarcted myocardium and improve cardiac function despite infrequent cellular fusion or differentiation.. Molecular therapy : the journal of the American Society of Gene Therapy, 2006.
- Friday BB, Deb A. Images in cardiovascular medicine. Systemic complications of infective endocarditis.. Circulation, 2005.
- Deb A, Wang SH, Skelding K, Miller D, Simper D, Caplice N. Bone marrow-derived myofibroblasts are present in adult human heart valves.. The Journal of heart valve disease, 2005.
- Wolk R, Deb A, Caplice NM, Somers VK. Leptin receptor and functional effects of leptin in human endothelial progenitor cells.. Atherosclerosis, 2005.
- Caplice NM, Deb A. Myocardial-cell replacement: the science, the clinic and the future.. Nature clinical practice. Cardiovascular medicine, 2004.
- Deb A, Skelding KA, Wang S, Reeder M, Simper D, Caplice NM. Integrin profile and in vivo homing of human smooth muscle progenitor cells.. Circulation, 2004.
- Deb A, Caplice NM. Lipoprotein(a): new insights into mechanisms of atherogenesis and thrombosis.. Clinical cardiology, 2004.
- Deb A, Tefferi A. Images in clinical medicine. Systemic mastocytosis.. The New England journal of medicine, 2003.
- Simper D, Wang S, Deb A, Holmes D, McGregor C, Frantz R, Kushwaha SS, Caplice NM. Endothelial progenitor cells are decreased in blood of cardiac allograft patients with vasculopathy and endothelial cells of noncardiac origin are enriched in transplant atherosclerosis.. Circulation, 2003.
- Deb A, Wang S, Skelding KA, Miller D, Simper D, Caplice NM. Bone marrow-derived cardiomyocytes are present in adult human heart: A study of gender-mismatched bone marrow transplantation patients.. Circulation, 2003.