Los Angeles, CA 90095 CHS
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Office Phone Number:
Member, Brain Research Institute, Interdepartmental Undergraduate Program, Molecular Pharmacology GPB Home Area, Molecular, Cellular & Integrative Physiology GPB Home Area, Neuroengineering Training Program, Neuroscience GPB Home Area
Dr. Spigelman is a neuropharmacologist conducting research on the mechanisms and relief of chronic pain, alcohol abuse, seizures and other neurodegenerative conditions such as stroke and brain trauma. His laboratory utilizes various multidisciplinary approaches to identify molecular targets for therapy of neuropathic pain. This includes studies on the alterations of voltage- and ligand-gated ion channels after peripheral nerve injuries, followed by the development of novel pharmaceuticals and non-viral gene delivery methodologies targeting the hyperexcitable sensory neurons which are involved in the transmission and processing of pain signals. The current focus of alcohol research is the GABA(A) receptor complex, which has been demonstrated to undergo profound molecular, functional and location-specific alterations in response to acute and chronic alcohol consumption.
A selected list of publications:
- Shen Yi, Lindemeyer A Kerstin, Spigelman Igor, Sieghart Werner, Olsen Richard W, Liang Jing Plasticity of GABAA receptors after ethanol pre-exposure in cultured hippocampal neurons Molecular pharmacology, 2011; 79(3): 432-42.
- Ruangsri Supanigar, Lin Audrey, Mulpuri Yatendra, Lee Kyung, Spigelman Igor, Nishimura Ichiro RELATIONSHIP OF AXONAL VOLTAGE-GATED SODIUM CHANNEL 1.8 (NaV1.8) mRNA ACCUMULATION TO SCIATIC NERVE INJURY-INDUCED PAINFUL NEUROPATHY IN RATS The Journal of biological chemistry, 2011; .
- Suryanarayanan Asha, Liang Jing, Meyer Edward M, Lindemeyer A Kerstin, Chandra Dev, Homanics Gregg E, Sieghart Werner, Olsen Richard W, Spigelman Igor Subunit Compensation and Plasticity of Synaptic GABA(A) Receptors Induced by Ethanol in ?4 Subunit Knockout Mice Frontiers in neuroscience, 2011; 5(3): 110.
- Díaz-Cintra Sofia, Xue Baogang, Spigelman Igor, Van K, Wong Alan M, Obenaus Andre, Ribak Charles E Dentate granule cells form hilar basal dendrites in a rat model of hypoxia-ischemia Brain research, 2009; 1285: 182-7.
- Thakor Devang Kashyap, Lin Audrey, Matsuka Yoshizo, Meyer Edward M, Ruangsri Supanigar, Nishimura Ichiro, Spigelman Igor Increased peripheral nerve excitability and local NaV1.8 mRNA up-regulation in painful neuropathy Molecular pain, 2009; 5(1): 14.
- Ribak Charles E, Shapiro Lee A, Perez Zachary D, Spigelman Igor Microglia-associated granule cell death in the normal adult dentate gyrus Brain structure & function, 2009; .
- Liang Jing, Spigelman Igor, Olsen Richard W Tolerance to sedative/hypnotic actions of GABAergic drugs correlates with tolerance to potentiation of extrasynaptic tonic currents of alcohol-dependent rats Journal of neurophysiology, 2009; 102(1): 224-33.
- Matsuka Yoshizo, Ono Takeshi, Iwase Hirotate, Mitrirattanakul Somsak, Omoto Kevin S, Cho Ting, Lam Yan Yan N, Snyder Bradley, Spigelman Igor Altered ATP release and metabolism in dorsal root ganglia of neuropathic rats Molecular pain, 2008; 4(1): 66.
- Jain Naveen K, Ishikawa Tomo-o, Spigelman Igor, Herschman Harvey R COX-2 expression and function in the hyperalgesic response to paw inflammation in mice Prostaglandins, leukotrienes, and essential fatty acids, 2008; 79(6): 183-90.
- Liang Jing, Suryanarayanan Asha, Chandra Dev, Homanics Gregg E, Olsen Richard W, Spigelman Igor Functional consequences of GABAA receptor alpha 4 subunit deletion on synaptic and extrasynaptic currents in mouse dentate granule cells Alcoholism, clinical and experimental research, 2008; 32(1): 19-26.
- Chandra Dev, Werner David F, Liang Jing, Suryanarayanan Asha, Harrison Neil L, Spigelman Igor, Olsen Richard W, Homanics Gregg E Normal acute behavioral responses to moderate/high dose ethanol in GABAA receptor alpha 4 subunit knockout mice Alcoholism, clinical and experimental research, 2008; 32(1): 10-8.
- Mitrirattanakul Somsak, López-Valdés Héctor E, Liang Jing, Matsuka Yoshizo, Mackie Ken, Faull Kym F, Spigelman Igor Bidirectional alterations of hippocampal cannabinoid 1 receptors and their endogenous ligands in a rat model of alcohol withdrawal and dependence Alcoholism, clinical and experimental research, 2007; 31(5): 855-67.
- Liang Jing, Suryanarayanan Asha, Abriam Alana, Snyder Bradley, Olsen Richard W, Spigelman Igor Mechanisms of reversible GABAA receptor plasticity after ethanol intoxication The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2007; 27(45): 12367-77.
- Thakor Devang, Spigelman Igor, Tabata Yasuhiko, Nishimura Ichiro Subcutaneous peripheral injection of cationized gelatin/DNA polyplexes as a platform for non-viral gene transfer to sensory neurons Molecular therapy : the journal of the American Society of Gene Therapy, 2007; 15(12): 2124-31.
- Liang, J., Zhang, N., Cagetti, E. Houser, C.R., Olsen, R.W. and Spigelman, I. Chronic intermittent ethanol treatment-induced switch of ethanol actions from extrasynaptic to synaptic hippocampal GABAA receptors, Journal of Neuroscience, 2006; 26: 1749-1758.
- Liang Jing, Zhang Nianhui, Cagetti Elisabetta, Houser Carolyn R, Olsen Richard W, Spigelman Igor Chronic intermittent ethanol-induced switch of ethanol actions from extrasynaptic to synaptic hippocampal GABAA receptors The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2006; 26(6): 1749-58.
- Chandra, D., Jia, F., Liang, J., Peng, Z., Suryanarayanan, A., Werner, D.F., Spigelman, I., Houser, C.R., Olsen, R.W., Harrison, N.L. and Homanics, G.E. GABA(A) receptor alpha4 subunits mediate extrasynaptic inhibition in thalamus and dentate gyrus and the action of gaboxadol, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 2006; 103: 15230-15235.
- Spigelman, I. Physiologic mechanisms of inhibition and status epilepticus, In: Status Epilepticus, Mechanisms and Management, C.G. Wasterlain and D.M. Treiman editors, MIT Press, Cambridge,, 2006; Chapter 21: 281-293.
- Mitrirattanakul Somsak, Ramakul Navapoln, Guerrero Andre V, Matsuka Yoshizo, Ono Takeshi, Iwase Hirotate, Mackie Ken, Faull Kym F, Spigelman Igor Site-specific increases in peripheral cannabinoid receptors and their endogenous ligands in a model of neuropathic pain Pain, 2006; 126(1-3): 102-14.
- Olsen, R.W., Liang, J., Cagetti, E., and Spigelman, I. Plasticity of GABAA receptors in brains of rats treated with chronic intermittent ethanol , Neurochemical Research, 2005; 30: 1579-1588.
- Matsuka Y. and Spigelman, I. Hyperosmolar solutions selectively block action potentials in rat myelinated sensory fibers: implications for diabetic neuropathy, Journal of Neurophysiology, 2004; 91: 48-56.
- Matsuka, Y Neubert, JK Maidment, NT Spigelman, I Concurrent release of ATP and substance P within guinea pig trigeminal ganglia in vivo Brain research. , 2001; 915(2): 248-55.
- Spigelman, I., Gold, M.S., Light A.R. Electrophysiological Methods in Pain Research, Methods in Pain Research, 2001; Chapter 8: 147-168.
- Spigelman, I., Neubert, J.K., Matsuka, Y., Maidment, N.T. Extracellular Sampling, Methods in Pain Research, 2001; Chapter 7: 133-146.
- Neubert, JK Maidment, NT Matsuka, Y Adelson, DW Kruger, L Spigelman, I Inflammation-induced changes in primary afferent-evoked release of substance P within trigeminal ganglia in vivo Brain research. , 2000; 871(2): 181-91.
- Spigelman, I Yan, XX Obenaus, A Lee, EY Wasterlain, CG Ribak, CE Dentate granule cells form novel basal dendrites in a rat model of temporal lobe epilepsy Neuroscience. , 1998; 86(1): 109-20.
- Spigelman, I Obenaus, A Mazarati, A Wasterlain, CG Intravenously administered cell-permeant calcium buffer decreases evoked synaptic potentials in rat dentate gyrus in vivo Brain research. , 1998; 810(1-2): 269-73.
- Spigelman, I Tymianski, M Wallace, CM Carlen, PL Velumian, AA Modulation of hippocampal synaptic transmission by low concentrations of cell-permeant Ca2+ chelators: effects of Ca2+ affinity, chelator structure and binding kinetics Neuroscience. , 1996; 75(2): 559-72.