Kenneth A Dorshkind
Professor, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California Los Angeles
CAMPUS - 173216
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Member, Eli & Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine & Stem Cell Research, JCCC Cancer and Stem Cell Biology Program Area, Molecular, Cellular & Integrative Physiology GPB Home Area
B and T Cell Development The development of B and T lymphocytes occurs in the bone marrow and thymus, respectively, in association with a supporting framework of stromal cells. One aim of our work is to characterize immature lymphoid progeny derived from pluripotential hematopoietic stem cells. A current focus of the laboratory is on the characterization of a B/macrophage progenitor that has recently been identified in adult bone marrow. The origin of these cells and the contribution of their progeny to the adult immune system is being assessed. Another major aim of the laboratory is to define the basis for thymic involution during aging and to develop protocols for rejuvenation of that organ. Multiple in vitro and in vivo systems have been developed to facilitate these studies. Students who enter the laboratory receive state of the art training in such techniques as cell culture, flow cytometry, and bone marrow transplantation. This background provides then the skills necessary to address issues in Hematopoiesis and Developmental Immunology.
- Montecino-Rodriguez E, Dorshkind K. Use of Busulfan to Condition Mice for Bone Marrow Transplantation.. STAR protocols, 2020.
- Fitch B, Roy R, Geng H, Montecino-Rodriguez E, Bengtsson H, Gaillard C, Hiam K, Casero D, Olshen AB, Dorshkind K, Kogan SC. Human pediatric B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemias can be classified as B-1 or B-2-like based on a minimal transcriptional signature.. Experimental hematology, 2020.
- Dorshkind K, Höfer T, Montecino-Rodriguez E, Pioli PD, Rodewald HR. Do haematopoietic stem cells age?. Nature reviews. Immunology, 2019.
- Pioli PD, Casero D, Montecino-Rodriguez E, Morrison SL, Dorshkind K. Plasma Cells Are Obligate Effectors of Enhanced Myelopoiesis in Aging Bone Marrow.. Immunity, 2019.
- Ghosn E, Dorshkind K, Herzenberg LA, Holodick N, Kantor A, Montecino-Rodriguez E, Rothstein TL, Silverman GJ, Yang Y, Yoder MC, Yoshimoto M. B1 B cell progenitors.. Science (New York, N.Y.), 2019.
- Montecino-Rodriguez E, Kong Y, Casero D, Rouault A, Dorshkind K, Pioli PD. Lymphoid-Biased Hematopoietic Stem Cells Are Maintained with Age and Efficiently Generate Lymphoid Progeny.. Stem cell reports, 2019.
- Montecino-Rodriguez E, Casero D, Fice M, Le J, Dorshkind K. Differential Expression of PU.1 and Key T Lineage Transcription Factors Distinguishes Fetal and Adult T Cell Development.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950), 2018.
- Montecino-Rodriguez E, Fice M, Casero D, Berent-Maoz B, Barber CL, Dorshkind K. Distinct Genetic Networks Orchestrate the Emergence of Specific Waves of Fetal and Adult B-1 and B-2 Development.. Immunity, 2016.
- Montecino-Rodriquez E, Min H, Dorshkind K. Reevaluating current models of thymic involution.. Seminars in immunology, 2005.