Professor, Medicine, University of California Los Angeles
Work Phone Number:
The overall goal of our laboratory is to understand the role of bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs), and their inhibitors and receptors in vascular disease such as atherosclerosis, vascular calcification, diabetic vascular disease and arteriovenous malformations (AVMs). We have identified a regulatory pathway, in which BMP-2/4 induces the expression of activin-like kinase receptor 1 (ALK1), a receptor for BMP-9. ALK1 is essential for angiogenesis and regulates expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and BMP-inhibitors including matrix Gla protein (MGP). We have found that this regulatory pathway is affected in vascular disease and appears to be essential for vascular homeostasis. We have also established a source of cardiovascular precursor cells for use in our studies, so-called de-differentiated fat (DFAT) cells, derived from white mature adipocytes. Our current projects focus on (1) how MGP prevents vascular calcification, (2) the role of BMP-signaling in diabetic vascular disease, (3) the mechanism of AVMs, (4) how DFAT cells differentiate into cardiovascular cells, and (5) biological patterns involving BMP and MGP.
- Chang CC, Chu A, Meyer S, Ding Y, Sun MM, Abiri P, Baek KI, Gudapati V, Ding X, Guihard P, Bostrom KI, Li S, Gordon LK, Zheng JJ, Hsiai TK. Three-dimensional Imaging Coupled with Topological Quantification Uncovers Retinal Vascular Plexuses Undergoing Obliteration.. Theranostics, 2021.
- Zhang D, Qiao X, Yao J, Zhang L, Wu X, Ma J, Cai X, Bostrom KI, Yao Y. Pronethalol Reduces Sox2 (SRY [Sex-Determining Region Y]-Box 2) to Ameliorate Vascular Calcification.. Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology, 2020.
- Medela AMB, Penton A, Bostrom KI, Saparov A, Jumabay M. Generation of Vascular Networks from Adipocytes In Vitro.. International journal of cell science & molecular biology, 2019.
- Boström KI. The Shifting Nature of Endothelial Progenitor Cells in Aortic Stenosis.. Mayo Clinic proceedings, 2019.
- Mukherjee P, Hough G, Chattopadhyay A, Navab M, Fogelman HR, Meriwether D, Williams K, Bensinger S, Moller T, Faull KF, Lusis AJ, Iruela-Arispe ML, Bostrom KI, Tontonoz P, Reddy ST, Fogelman AM. Transgenic tomatoes expressing the 6F peptide and ezetimibe prevent diet-induced increases of IFN-β and cholesterol 25-hydroxylase in jejunum.. Journal of lipid research, 2017.
- Boström KI, Yao J, Guihard PJ, Blazquez-Medela AM, Yao Y. Endothelial-mesenchymal transition in atherosclerotic lesion calcification.. Atherosclerosis, 2016.
- Boström KI. Where do we stand on vascular calcification?. Vascular pharmacology, 2016.
- Martin LJ, Lau E, Singh H, Vergnes L, Tarling EJ, Mehrabian M, Mungrue I, Xiao S, Shih D, Castellani L, Ping P, Reue K, Stefani E, Drake TA, Bostrom K, Lusis AJ. Response to Pomozi et al's research commentary.. Circulation research, 2013.
- Martin LJ, Lau E, Singh H, Vergnes L, Tarling EJ, Mehrabian M, Mungrue I, Xiao S, Shih D, Castellani L, Ping P, Reue K, Stefani E, Drake TA, Bostrom K, Lusis AJ. ABCC6 localizes to the mitochondria-associated membrane.. Circulation research, 2012.
- Boström KI, Garfinkel A, Yao Y, Jumabay M. Concise review: applying stem cell biology to vascular structures.. Stem cells (Dayton, Ohio), 2012.
- Boström KI, Rajamannan NM, Towler DA. The regulation of valvular and vascular sclerosis by osteogenic morphogens.. Circulation research, 2011.
- Boström K, Zebboudj AF, Yao Y, Lin TS, Torres A. Matrix GLA protein stimulates VEGF expression through increased transforming growth factor-beta1 activity in endothelial cells.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2004.
- Boström K. Insights into the mechanism of vascular calcification.. The American journal of cardiology, 2001.
- Poggi SH, Bostrom KI, Demer LL, Skinner HC, Koos BJ. Placental calcification: a metastatic process?. Placenta, 2001.
- Boström K, Tsao D, Shen S, Wang Y, Demer LL. Matrix GLA protein modulates differentiation induced by bone morphogenetic protein-2 in C3H10T1/2 cells.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2001.
- Boström K, Tintut Y, Kao SC, Stanford WP, Demer LL. HOXB7 overexpression promotes differentiation of C3H10T1/2 cells to smooth muscle cells.. Journal of cellular biochemistry, 2000.
- Boström KI. Cell differentiation in vascular calcification.. Zeitschrift fur Kardiologie, 2000.