Paul J Mathews
Assistant Professor-in-Residence, Neurology, University of California Los Angeles
Dr. Mathews is currently an assistant professor in the Department of Neurology in the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He is also an Investigator at the Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute (LA BioMed) where his lab is located, next to the UCLA Harbor Medical Center. From 2009-2015 he worked as a post doc in the laboratory of Dr. Tom Otis at UCLA where he examined the mechanisms of motor coordination in the cerebellum. In 2008, Dr. Mathews received his PhD in neuroscience from the University of Texas, at Austin. While there, Dr. Mathews studied the biophysical properties of neurons in the auditory system with the goal of understanding how these properties enable them to perform the submillisecond computations necessary for low-frequency sound localization. Dr. Mathews received his undergraduate degree from the University of Oregon in 2001 where he studied biology, with a focus on animal behavior and neuroscience.
- Perez H, Abdallah MF, Chavira JI, Norris AS, Egeland MT, Vo KL, Buechsenschuetz CL, Sanghez V, Kim JL, Pind M, Nakamura K, Hicks GG, Gatti RA, Madrenas J, Iacovino M, McKinnon PJ, Mathews PJ. A novel, ataxic mouse model of ataxia telangiectasia caused by a clinically relevant nonsense mutation.. eLife, 2021.
- Choe KY, Sanchez CF, Harris NG, Otis TS, Mathews PJ. Optogenetic fMRI and electrophysiological identification of region-specific connectivity between the cerebellar cortex and forebrain.. NeuroImage, 2018.
- Ekins S, Mathews P, Saito EK, Diaz N, Naylor D, Chung J, McMurtray AM. α7-Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor inhibition by indinavir: implications for cognitive dysfunction in treated HIV disease.. AIDS (London, England), 2017.
- Ekins S, Diaz N, Chung J, Mathews P, McMurtray A. Enabling Anyone to Translate Clinically Relevant Ideas to Therapies.. Pharmaceutical research, 2016.
- Lee KH, Mathews PJ, Reeves AM, Choe KY, Jami SA, Serrano RE, Otis TS. Circuit mechanisms underlying motor memory formation in the cerebellum.. Neuron, 2015.
- Mathews PJ, Lee KH, Peng Z, Houser CR, Otis TS. Effects of climbing fiber driven inhibition on Purkinje neuron spiking.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2012.
- Otis TS, Mathews PJ, Lee KH, Maiz J. How do climbing fibers teach?. Frontiers in neural circuits, 2012.
- Mathews PJ, Jercog PE, Rinzel J, Scott LL, Golding NL. Control of submillisecond synaptic timing in binaural coincidence detectors by K(v)1 channels.. Nature neuroscience, 2010.
- Scott LL, Mathews PJ, Golding NL. Perisomatic voltage-gated sodium channels actively maintain linear synaptic integration in principal neurons of the medial superior olive.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2010.
- Scott LL, Mathews PJ, Golding NL. Posthearing developmental refinement of temporal processing in principal neurons of the medial superior olive.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2005.
- Mathews PJ. Respiratory care.. Nursing, 2005.
- Mathews PJ, Al-Jasser T, Weltman C, Rokosz M. The latest in respiratory care.. Nursing management, 2005.
- Mathews PJ, Roark-Sample B, Schmidt J, Brooks K. The latest in respiratory care.. Nursing management, 2004.
- Mathews PJ, Wilcoxon S, Chung A, Younger B, Banks C, Cranford T. The latest in respiratory nursing.. Nursing management, 2003.
- Mathews PJ. Co-oximetry.. Respiratory care clinics of North America, 1995.