Professor-in-Residence, Medicine, University of California Los Angeles
Professor-in-Residence, Computational Medicine, University of California Los Angeles
650 Charles E. Young Drive South
University of California, Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Faculty, Cardiovascular Research Laboratory, Cardiology
Zhilin Qu earned his B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. in Physics and Nonlinear Dynamics at the Beijing Normal University, China. Before he became a postdoctoral fellow in the Cardiovascular Research Laboratory at UCLA, his main research field was general nonlinear dynamics, such as chaos and chaos control in spatiotemporal systems. During his postdoctoral research, he worked on the mechanisms of cardiac fibrillation, the leading cause of sudden cardiac death. He collaborated extensively with experimental biologists to confirm the theories he has developed for cardiac arrhythmias. Dr. Qu became an Assistant Professor of Medicine in 2001 and is a co-director of the Cardiac Simulation Laboratory at UCLA. In collaboration with experimental cell and molecular biologists, Dr. Qu initiated a new research field in 2001, modeling the cell growth and cell cycle control. He is also collaborating with other experimental biologists in the Cardiovascular Research Laboratory to study signaling in cardiac ischemic injury and protection. He is a recipient of two national science awards of China and the fellowship award of the American Heart Association, Western States Affiliate. Dr. Qu’s research goal is to use the approaches of systems biology and nonlinear dynamics, integrating mathematical modeling with biological experiments, to understand the mechanisms of cardiac arrhythmias, cell growth and cell cycle control, and the dynamics for biological signal transduction.
- Qu Z, Liu MB, Olcese R, Karagueuzian H, Garfinkel A, Chen PS, Weiss JN. R-on-T and the Initiation of Reentry Revisited: Integrating Old and New Concepts.. Heart rhythm, 2022.
- Qu Z. What is ventricular fibrillation?. Heart rhythm, 2021.
- Nivala M, Ko CY, Nivala M, Weiss JN, Qu Z. The emergence of subcellular pacemaker sites for calcium waves and oscillations.. The Journal of physiology, 2013.
- Qu Z, Xie LH, Olcese R, Karagueuzian HS, Chen PS, Garfinkel A, Weiss JN. Early afterdepolarizations in cardiac myocytes: beyond reduced repolarization reserve.. Cardiovascular research, 2013.
- Qu Z, Nivala M, Weiss JN. Calcium alternans in cardiac myocytes: order from disorder.. Journal of molecular and cellular cardiology, 2012.
- Qu Z, Chung D. Mechanisms and determinants of ultralong action potential duration and slow rate-dependence in cardiac myocytes.. PloS one, 2012.
- Qu Z, Garfinkel A, Weiss JN, Nivala M. Multi-scale modeling in biology: how to bridge the gaps between scales?. Progress in biophysics and molecular biology, 2011.
- Qu Z, Xie Y, Garfinkel A, Weiss JN. T-wave alternans and arrhythmogenesis in cardiac diseases.. Frontiers in physiology, 2010.
- Qu Z. Chaos in the genesis and maintenance of cardiac arrhythmias.. Progress in biophysics and molecular biology, 2010.
- Qu Z, Vondriska TM. The effects of cascade length, kinetics and feedback loops on biological signal transduction dynamics in a simplified cascade model.. Physical biology, 2009.
- Qu Z, Shiferaw Y, Weiss JN. Nonlinear dynamics of cardiac excitation-contraction coupling: an iterated map study.. Physical review. E, Statistical, nonlinear, and soft matter physics, 2007.
- Qu Z, Weiss JN. Dynamics and cardiac arrhythmias.. Journal of cardiovascular electrophysiology, 2006.
- Qu Z, Garfinkel A, Weiss JN. Vulnerable window for conduction block in a one-dimensional cable of cardiac cells, 1: single extrasystoles.. Biophysical journal, 2006.
- Qu Z, Garfinkel A, Weiss JN. Vulnerable window for conduction block in a one-dimensional cable of cardiac cells, 2: multiple extrasystoles.. Biophysical journal, 2006.
- Qu Z. Critical mass hypothesis revisited: role of dynamical wave stability in spontaneous termination of cardiac fibrillation.. American journal of physiology. Heart and circulatory physiology, 2005.
- Qu Z, Weiss JN. Effects of Na(+) and K(+) channel blockade on vulnerability to and termination of fibrillation in simulated normal cardiac tissue.. American journal of physiology. Heart and circulatory physiology, 2005.
- Qu Z, Weiss JN, MacLellan WR. Coordination of cell growth and cell division: a mathematical modeling study.. Journal of cell science, 2004.
- Qu Z. Dynamical effects of diffusive cell coupling on cardiac excitation and propagation: a simulation study.. American journal of physiology. Heart and circulatory physiology, 2004.
- Qu Z, MacLellan WR, Weiss JN. Dynamics of the cell cycle: checkpoints, sizers, and timers.. Biophysical journal, 2003.
- Qu Z, Karagueuzian HS, Garfinkel A, Weiss JN. Effects of Na(+) channel and cell coupling abnormalities on vulnerability to reentry: a simulation study.. American journal of physiology. Heart and circulatory physiology, 2003.
- Qu Z, Weiss JN, MacLellan WR. Regulation of the mammalian cell cycle: a model of the G1-to-S transition.. American journal of physiology. Cell physiology, 2002.