The Bioscience Fellowship Incentive Program encourages students to successfully seek out and apply for competitive extramural fellowship opportunities such as the NIH Individual National Research Service Award and the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship. The office of Graduate Programs in Bioscience offers an annual $3,500 stipend augmentation to students while holding such fellowships.
Applicants to the incentive program must be in good academic standing in one of the following Ph.D. programs.
- Biological Chemistry
- Biomedical Physics/Physics & Biology in Medicine
- Cellular & Molecular Pathology
- Human Genetics
- Microbiology, Immunology & Molecular Genetics
- Molecular Biology
- Molecular, Cell & Developmental Biology
- Molecular, Cellular & Integrative Physiology
- Molecular & Medical Pharmacology
- Fellowships must be competitively awarded by an extramural (i.e. non-UCLA) sponsor and provide at least $18,000 per year in stipend funding. NIH Diversity Supplements are eligible.
- Students in the MSTP and STAR programs should inquire with administrators of those programs about opportunities for fellowship holders.
- Students recruited directly to a specific laboratory (i.e., did not rotate during first year) are not eligible for funds from this program but may inquire with their thesis advisor about opportunities.
How to apply
A call for applications is issued each fall to bioscience Ph.D. students via the student mailing list. The call includes a link to an online application that requests basic information about the award. First-time applicants must submit a copy of the official notice of award from the sponsor. Renewing applicants must reapply each year to confirm continuing eligibility.
For more information about the program contact Thandar Hagen, email@example.com, Graduate Programs in Bioscience.