As students in Graduate Programs in Bioscience, we encourage you to take advantage of available wellness resources and incident reporting mechanisms. These address mental health, conflict management, academic progress, equity and inclusion, discrimination and harassment, financial wellness, mindfulness, and fitness.
Some of this information is available on the BruinSafe app, download from your app store.
Mental Health Services and Crisis Intervention
Addressing Issues and Challenges
There are several options to help addressing issues related to interactions with your faculty adviser, lab members, or other members of the UCLA community, as well as issues with research/academic progress. Which of these is most appropriate will depend on the circumstances, but in general the order presented in recommended. If you are not comfortable contacting anyone in your program, then you should reach out to one of the options indicated with open circles. The graduate case managers are a great resource if you are not sure where to start. While privacy is possible for each option, the degree of confidentiality will depend on the specific circumstances and should be discussed at the outset. Only the Ombuds Office is strictly confidential.
GPB has a Conflict Resolution Policy for issues between a student and their dissertation adviser, and a policy for what is required if a faculty member wants to withdraw as dissertation adviser and have the student leave the research group (Policy on Faculty Advisor-initiated Student Withdrawal from Lab). Both are available by request from your Home Area Director, Student Affairs Officer, or the GPB Director.
- Faculty adviser
- Home Area/PhD program Director
- Home Area/PhD program SAO
- Dissertation committee member
- Greg Payne, GPB Director and Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Studies, DGSOM and College Life Sciences, email@example.com
- Diana Azurdia, GPB Director for Recruitment and Inclusion, DAzurdia@mednet.ucla.edu
- Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Scholar Case Manager (see details below)
- Ombuds Office (see details below)
- Department Chair
- Graduate Division Associate Dean
- School/Division Dean
- Graduate Student Resource Center (see details below)
- Center for Accessible Education (see details below)
Equity and Inclusion
For issues about equity and inclusion, or if you are uncertain if you should report an incident, contact the GPB Director of Recruitment and Inclusion or the Equity Adviser of the unit your program is associate with.
- Diana Azurdia, GPB Director for Recruitment and Inclusion