1125 Terasaki Life Sciences Bldg
Associate Professor, Bioengineering
Member, Biochemistry, Biophysics & Structural Biology GPB Home Area, Cell & Developmental Biology GPB Home Area, JCCC Cancer and Stem Cell Biology Program Area, Molecular, Cellular & Integrative Physiology GPB Home Area
Amy Rowat, Ph.D., M.Sc., is Associate Professor and Vice Chair of the Department of Integrative Biology & Physiology, UCLA. She is also a member of the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, Broad Stem Cell Research Center, Bioengineering Department, Center for Biological Physics, and Business of Science Center. Rowat earned degrees in: B.Sc. Honors Physics; B.A. Asian Studies, French, & Math; M.Sc. Chemistry; and Ph.D. Physics. She was a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Physics/Division of Engineering & Applied Science, Harvard University as well as Brigham Womens Hospital. Her laboratory focuses on cellular mechanobiology in health and disease. Rowat has developed innovative mechanotyping methods to enable high throughput deformability screening, which the team is applying to achieve a systems-level knowledge of the mechanome, to advance fundamental knowledge of diseases from cancer to dystonia, and to identify novel therapeutics.
A selected list of publications:
- Gill Navjot Kaur, Ly Chau, Kim Paul H, Saunders Cosmo A, Fong Loren G, Young Stephen G, Luxton G W Gant, Rowat Amy C DYT1 Dystonia Patient-Derived Fibroblasts Have Increased Deformability and Susceptibility to Damage by Mechanical Forces Frontiers in cell and developmental biology, 2019; 7(14): 103.
- Kim Tae-Hyung, Ly Chau, Christodoulides Alexei, Nowell Cameron J, Gunning Peter W, Sloan Erica K, Rowat Amy C Stress hormone signaling through β-adrenergic receptors regulates macrophage mechanotype and function FASEB journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, 2019; 33(3): 3997-4006.
- Gill Navjot Kaur, Ly Chau, Nyberg Kendra D, Lee Linus, Qi Dongping, Tofig Bobby, Reis-Sobreiro Mariana, Dorigo Oliver, Rao JianYu, Wiedemeyer Ruprecht, Karlan Beth, Lawrenson Kate, Freeman Michael R, Damoiseaux Robert, Rowat Amy C A scalable filtration method for high throughput screening based on cell deformability Lab on a chip, 2019; 19(2): 343-357.
- Reis-Sobreiro Mariana, Chen Jie-Fu, Novitskaya Tatiana, You Sungyong, Morley Samantha, Steadman Kenneth, Gill Navjot Kaur, Eskaros Adel, Rotinen Mirja, Chu Chia-Yi, Chung Leland W K, Tanaka Hisashi, Yang Wei, Knudsen Beatrice S, Tseng Hsian-Rong, Rowat Amy C, Posadas Edwin M, Zijlstra Andries, Di Vizio Dolores, Freeman Michael R Emerin Deregulation Links Nuclear Shape Instability to Metastatic Potential Cancer research, 2018; 78(21): 6086-6097.
- Nyberg Kendra D, Hu Kenneth H, Kleinman Sara H, Khismatullin Damir B, Butte Manish J, Rowat Amy C Quantitative Deformability Cytometry: Rapid, Calibrated Measurements of Cell Mechanical Properties Biophysical journal, 2017; 113(7): 1574-1584.
- Kim Tae-Hyung, Gill Navjot Kaur, Nyberg Kendra D, Nguyen Angelyn V, Hohlbauch Sophia V, Geisse Nicholas A, Nowell Cameron J, Sloan Erica K, Rowat Amy C Cancer cells become less deformable and more invasive with activation of β-adrenergic signaling Journal of cell science, 2016; 129(24): 4563-4575.
- Kim Tae-Hyung, Rowat Amy C, Sloan Erica K Neural regulation of cancer: from mechanobiology to inflammation Clinical & translational immunology, 2016; 5(5): e78.