66-127D Engr. IV
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Member, California NanoSystems Institute, Medical Informatics GPB Home Area
Dr. Aydogan Ozcan received his Ph.D. degree at Stanford University Electrical Engineering Department in 2005. After a short post-doctoral fellowship at Stanford University, he is appointed as a Research Faculty Member at Harvard Medical School, Wellman Center for Photomedicine in 2006. Dr. Ozcan joined UCLA in the summer of 2007, where he is currently an Associate Professor leading the Bio- and Nano-Photonics Laboratory at the Electrical Engineering Department. Dr. Ozcan holds 17 issued patents and another 12 pending patent applications for his inventions in nanoscopy, wide-field imaging, lensless imaging, nonlinear optics, fiber optics, and optical coherence tomography. Dr. Ozcan is also the author of one book and the co-author of more than 150 peer reviewed research articles in major scientific journals and conferences. In addition, Dr. Ozcan is the founder and a member of the Board of Directors of Microskia Inc., and is a member of the program committee of SPIE Photonics West Conference, SPIE International Symposium on Defense, Security and Sensing, as well as the IEEE Photonics Society Annual Meeting. He also serves as a panelist and a reviewer for National Science Foundation, NIH and for Harvard-MIT Innovative Technology for Medicine Program. Prof. Ozcan also served as the General co-Chair of 2010 IEEE Winter Topical Meeting on Advanced Imaging in BioPhotonics. Prof. Ozcan received several major awards including the 2011 SPIE Early Career Achievement Award, the 2010 NSF CAREER Award, the 2009 NIH Director’s New Innovator Award, the 2009 Office of Naval Research (ONR) Young Investigator Award, the 2009 IEEE Photonics Society (LEOS) Young Investigator Award and the MIT’s Technology Review TR35 Award for his seminal contributions to near-field and on-chip imaging, and telemedicine based diagnostics. Prof. Ozcan is also the recipient of the 2010 National Geographic Emerging Explorer Award, the 2010 Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Grand Challenges Award, the 2010 Popular Mechanics Breakthrough Award, the 2010 Netexplorateur Award given by the Netexplorateur Observatory & Forum in France, the 2010 PopTech Science and Public Leaders Fellowship, the 2010 USC’s Body Computing Slam Prize, and the 2009 Wireless Innovation Award organized by the Vodafone Americas Foundation as well as the 2008 Okawa Foundation Award, given by the Okawa Foundation in Japan. Prof. Ozcan was also selected as one of the top 10 innovators by the U.S. Department of State, USAID, NASA, and NIKE, Inc. as part of the LAUNCH: Health Forum organized in October 2010. Dr. Ozcan is a Senior Member of IEEE, and a member of LEOS, EMBS, OSA, SPIE and BMES. http://innovate.ee.ucla.edu//prof.-ozcan-brief-biosketch.html
A selected list of publications:
- Onur Mudanyali, Stoyan Dimitrov, Uzair Sikora, Swati Padmanabhan, Isa Navruz and Aydogan Ozcan Integrated rapid-diagnostic-test reader platform on a cellphone Lab on a Chip, 2012; DOI: 10.1039/c2lc40235a : .
- Hongying Zhu , Uzair Sikora and Aydogan Ozcan Quantum dot enabled detection of Escherichia coli using a cell-phone Analyst, 2012; 137: 2541-2544.
- Zhu H, Yaglidere O, Su TW, Tseng D, Ozcan A Cost-effective and compact wide-field fluorescent imaging on a cell-phone Lab Chip, 2011; 11(2): 315-22.
- Bishara W, Sikora U, Mudanyali O, Su TW, Yaglidere O, Luckhart S, Ozcan A Holographic pixel super-resolution in portable lensless on-chip microscopy using a fiber-optic array Lab Chip, 2011; 11(7): 1276-9.
- Serhan O. Isikman, Waheb Bishara, Sam Mavandadi, Frank W. Yu, Steve Feng, Randy Lau, and Aydogan Ozcan Lens-free optical tomographic microscope with a large imaging volume on a chip PNAS, 2011; Epub ahead of print: .
- Coskun AF, Sencan I, Su TW, Ozcan A Lensfree fluorescent on-chip imaging of transgenic Caenorhabditis elegans over an ultra-wide field-of-view PLoS One, 2011; 6(1): 15955.
- Coskun AF, Sencan I, Su TW, Ozcan A Wide-field lensless fluorescent microscopy using a tapered fiber-optic faceplate on a chip Analyst, 2011; Epub ahead of print: .
- Ting-Wei Su, Anthony Erlinger, Derek Tseng, and Aydogan Ozcan Compact and Light-Weight Automated Semen Analysis Platform Using Lensfree on-Chip Microscopy Analytical Chemistry, 2010; 82(19): 8307-12.
- Onur Mudanyali, Cetin Oztoprak, Derek Tseng, Anthony Erlinger and Aydogan Ozcan Detection of waterborne parasites using field-portable and cost-effective lensfree microscopy Lab Chip, 2010; 10(18): 2419-23.
- Derek Tseng, Onur Mudanyali, Cetin Oztoprak, Serhan O. Isikman, Ikbal Sencan, Oguzhan Yaglidere and Aydogan Ozcan Lensfree microscopy on a cellphone Lab on a Chip, 2010; 10(14): 1787-92.
- Bishara W, Su TW, Coskun AF, Ozcan A Lensfree on-chip microscopy over a wide field-of-view using pixel super-resolution Opt Express, 2010; 18(11): 11181-81.
- S.O. Isikman, I. Sencan, O. Mudanyali, W. Bishara, C. Oztoprak and A. Ozcan Color and Monochrome Lensless On-chip Imaging of Caenorhabditis Elegans Over a Wide Field-of-View Lab Chip, 2010; 10: 1109 – 12.
- O. Mudanyali, D. Tseng, C. Oh, S.O. Isikman, I. Sencan, W. Bishara, C. Oztoprak, S. Seo, B. Khademhosseini, and A. Ozcan Compact, Light-weight and Cost-effective Microscope based on Lensless Incoherent Holography for Telemedicine Applications Lab Chip, 2010; 10(11): 1417-28.
- Sungkyu Seo, Serhan O. Isikman, Ikbal Sencan, Onur Mudanyali, Ting-Wei Su, Waheb Bishara, Anthony Erlinger, and Aydogan Ozcan High-Throughput Lens-Free Blood Analysis on a Chip Anal Chem, 2010; 82(11): 4621-7.
- Bishara W, Zhu H, Ozcan A Holographic opto-fluidic microscopy Opt Express, 2010; 18(26): 27499-510.
- Stybayeva, G., Mudanyali, O., Seo, S., Silangcruz, J., Macal, M., Ramanculov, E., Dandekar, S., Erlinger, A., Ozcan, A. and Revzin, A. Lensfree Holographic Imaging of Antibody Microarrays for High-Throughput Detection of Leukocyte Numbers and Function Analytical Chemistry, 2010; 82(9): 3736-3744.
- Khademhosseinieh B, Biener G, Sencan I, Ozcan A Lensfree color imaging on a nanostructured chip using compressive decoding Appl Phys Lett, 2010; 97(21): 211112.
- Bahar Khademhosseinieh, Ikbal Sencan, Gabriel Biener, Ting-Wei Su, Ahmet F. Coskun, Derek Tseng, and Aydogan Ozcan Lensfree on-chip imaging using nanostructured surfaces Appl. Phys. Lett, 2010; 96(17): .
- Bahar Khademhosseinieh, Gabriel Biener, Ikbal Sencan, Ting-Wei Su, Ahmet F. Coskun, and Aydogan Ozcan Lensfree sensing on a microfluidic chip using plasmonic nanoapertures Appl. Phys. Lett, 2010; 97(22): 221107.
- Coskun AF, Sencan I, Su TW, Ozcan A Lensless wide-field fluorescent imaging on a chip using compressive decoding of sparse objects Opt Express, 2010; 18(10): 10510-23.
- Su TW, Isikman SO, Bishara W, Tseng D, Erlinger A, Ozcan A Multi-angle lensless digital holography for depth resolved imaging on a chip Opt Express, 2010; 18(9): 9690-711.
- C. Oh, S. O. Isikman, B. Khademhosseini and A. Ozcan On-chip differential interference contrast microscopy using lensless digital holography Optics Express, 2010; 18(5): 4717-26.
- A. Ozcan Smart Technology for Global Access to healthcare SPIE Newsroom, 2010; .
- A.F. Coskun, T. Su, and A. Ozcan Wide field-of-view lens-free fluorescent imaging on a chip Lab Chip, 2010; 10: 824-7.
- Onur Mudanyali, Anthony Erlinger, Sungkyu Seo, Ting-Wei Su, Derek Tseng, Aydogan Ozcan Lensless On-chip Imaging of Cells Provides a New Tool for High-throughput Cell-Biology and Medical Diagnostics Journal of Visualized Experiments, 2009; (34): .
- Seo, S. Su, T. W. Tseng, D. K. Erlinger, A. Ozcan, A. Lensfree holographic imaging for on-chip cytometry and diagnostics Lab Chip, 2009; 9(6): 777-87.
- Su, T. W. Seo, S. Erlinger, A. Ozcan, A. High-throughput lensfree imaging and characterization of a heterogeneous cell solution on a chip Biotechnol Bioeng, 2009; 102(3): 856-68.
- Seo, S., Su, T.W., Erlinger, A. and Ozcan, A. Multi-color LUCAS: Lensfree On-chip Cytometry Using Tunable Monochromatic Illumination and Digital Noise Reduction Cellular & Molecular Bioengineering, 2008; .
- T. Su, S. Seo, A. Erlinger, and A. Ozcan High-throughput Imaging and Characterization of a Heterogeneous Cell Solution On a Chip Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 2008; 102(3): 856 – 68.
- T. Su, S. Seo, A. Erlinger, D. Tseng and A. Ozcan Lensfree on-chip cytometry towards wireless health IEEE LEOS Newsletter, 2008; 22(5): 4-11.
- Su, T. W. Seo, S. Erlinger, A. Ozcan, A. Multi-angle LUCAS for high-throughput on-chip cytometry Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, 2008; 1854-5.
- Ting-wei Su, Sungkyu Seo, Anthony Erlinger, Derek Tseng, and Aydogan Ozcan Towards Wireless Health: Lensless On-Chip Cytometry Optics and Photonics News, 2008; 19(12): 24.
- Ozcan, A. Demirci, U. Ultra wide-field lens-free monitoring of cells on-chip Lab Chip, 2008; 8(1): 98-106.
- Ozcan, A., Bilenca, A., Desjardin, A.E., Bouma, B.E., Tearney, G.J. A study of speckle reduction in optical coherence tomography images using digital filtering Journal of Optical Society of America, 2007; 24(7): 1901-10.
- Ozcan, A., Cubukcu, E., Bouma, B.E., Capasso, F., Tearney, G.J. Differential Near-field Scanning Optical Microscopy using Sensor Arrays IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, 2007; 13(6): 1721-9.
- Bilenca, A., Cao, J., Ozcan, A., Bouma, B.E., Raftery, L., Tearney, G.J. Fluorescence Interferometry: Principles and Applications in biology Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences , 2007; 1130: 68-77.
- Bilenca, A., Lasser, T., Ozcan, A., Leitgeb, R., Bouma, B.E., Tearney, G.J. Image formation in fluorescence coherence-gated imaging through scattering media Optics Express, 2007; 15(6): 2810-21.
- Ozcan, A., Tewary, A., Digonnet, M.J.F., and Kino, G.S. Observation of mode coupling in bitapered air-core fibers Optics Communications, 2007; 271(2): 391-5.
- Ozcan, A. and Demirci, U. Rewritable self-assembled long-period gratings in photonic bandgap fibers using microparticles Optics Communications, 2007; 270(2): 225-8.
- Ozcan, A., Digonnet, M.J.F., Lablonde, L., Pureur, D. and Kino, G.S. A new iterative technique to characterize and design transmission fiber Bragg gratings IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, 2006; 24(4): 1913-1921.
- Ozcan, A., Digonnet, M.J.F., and Kino, G.S. Characterization of fiber Bragg gratings using spectral interferometry based on minimum-phase functions IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, 2006; 24(4): 1739-57.
- Ozcan, A. Characterization of nonlinear thin films using logarithmic Hilbert transform Electronics Letters, 2006; 42(11): 647-8.
- Ozcan, A., Cubukcu, E., Bilenca, A., Crozier, K.B., Bouma, B.E., Capasso, F., and Tearney, G.J. Differential Nearfield scanning optical microscopy Nano Letters, 2006; 6(11): 2609-16.
- Bilenca, A., Ozcan, A., Bouma, B.E., Tearney, G.J. Fluorescence coherence tomography Optics Express, 2006; 14(16): 7134-43.
- Ozcan, A., Digonnet, M.J.F., and Kino, G.S. Minimum-phase function based processing in frequency-domain optical coherence tomography systems Journal of Optical Society of America, 2006; 23(7): 1669-77.
- Ozcan, A., Bilenca, A., Bouma, B.E., Tearney, G.J. Mirror tunnel microscope Applied Physics Letters, 2006; 89: 131124.
- Ozcan, A., Digonnet, M.J.F., and Kino, G.S. Quasi-phase-matched grating characterization using minimumphase functions Optics Communications, 2006; 269(1): 199.
- Ozcan, A., Digonnet, M.J.F., and Kino, G.S. Detailed analysis of inverse Fourier transform techniques to uniquely infer second-order nonlinearity profile of thin films Journal of Applied Physics, 2005; 97(1): 013502.
- Demirci, U., and Ozcan, A. Droplet ejection by femtosecond laser micromachined multiple orifice membrane based 2-D ejector arrays Electronics Letters, 2005; 41(22): 1219-20.
- U. Demirci, and A. Ozcan Picolitre acoustic droplet ejection by femtosecond laser micromachined multiple-orifice membrane-based 2D ejector arrays Electronics Letters, 2005; 41(22): 1219-20.
- Ozcan, A., Digonnet, M.J.F., Kino, G.S., Ay, F., and Aydinli, A. Characterization of thermally poled germanosilicate thin films Optics Express, 2004; 12(20): 4698-4708.
- A. Ozcan, M. J. F. Digonnet, and G. S. Kino Group delay recovery using iterative processing of amplitude of transmission spectra of fibre Bragg gratings Electronics Letters, 2004; 40(18): 1104 – 6 .
- A. Ozcan, M. J. F. Digonnet, and G. S. Kino Improved technique to determine second-order optical nonlinearity profiles using two different samples Appl. Phys. Lett. , 2004; 84(5): 681-3.
- A. Ozcan, M. J. F. Digonnet, and G. S. Kino Iterative processing of second-order optical nonlinearity depth profiles Optics Express, 2004; 12(15): 3367-76.
- A. Ozcan, M. J. F. Digonnet, and G. S. Kino Simplified inverse Fourier transform technique to measure optical nonlinearity profiles using reference sample Electronics Letters, 2004; 40(9): 551 – 2 .
- A. Ozcan, M. J. F. Digonnet, and G. S. Kino Cylinder-assisted Maker fringe technique Electronics Letters, 2003; 39(25): 1834-1835.
- A. Ozcan, M. J. F. Digonnet, and G. S. Kino Inverse Fourier Transform technique to determine second-order optical nonlinearity spatial profiles Appl. Phys. Lett, 2003; 82(9): 1362-1364 .