Brigitte N Gomperts
Professor, Pediatrics, University of California Los Angeles
Professor, Medicine, University of California Los Angeles
Member, CTSI, Center for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Child Health Research, Eli & Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine & Stem Cell Research, I3T Theme, JCCC Cancer and Stem Cell Biology Program Area, Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center
A member of the UCLA’s Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, Gomperts is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Pulmonary Medicine. She joined the UCLA faculty in 2003 after completing a pediatric residency and pediatric hematology/oncology fellowship at Washington University in St. Louis, MO. She earned her medical degree from the University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Gomperts is also affiliated with the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research and the Molecular Biology Institute. She’s a member of the American Thoracic Society, the American Association for Cancer Research, and the International Society for Stem Cell Research.
Gomperts work is funded by the National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Department of Defense, American Thoracic Society, Concern Foundation and Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program.
She is currently co-director of the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center Stem Cell and Biology Program.
- Sen C, Freund D, Gomperts BN. Three-dimensional models of the lung: past, present and future: a mini review.. Biochemical Society transactions, 2022.
- Aros CJ, Pantoja CJ, Gomperts BN. Wnt signaling in lung development, regeneration, and disease progression.. Communications biology, 2021.
- Carraro G, Langerman J, Sabri S, Lorenzana Z, Purkayastha A, Zhang G, Konda B, Aros CJ, Calvert BA, Szymaniak A, Wilson E, Mulligan M, Bhatt P, Lu J, Vijayaraj P, Yao C, Shia DW, Lund AJ, Israely E, Rickabaugh TM, Ernst J, Mense M, Randell SH, Vladar EK, Ryan AL, Plath K, Mahoney JE, Stripp BR, Gomperts BN. Transcriptional analysis of cystic fibrosis airways at single-cell resolution reveals altered epithelial cell states and composition.. Nature medicine, 2021.
- Mulay A, Konda B, Garcia G, Yao C, Beil S, Villalba JM, Koziol C, Sen C, Purkayastha A, Kolls JK, Pociask DA, Pessina P, de Aja JS, Garcia-de-Alba C, Kim CF, Gomperts B, Arumugaswami V, Stripp BR. SARS-CoV-2 infection of primary human lung epithelium for COVID-19 modeling and drug discovery.. Cell reports, 2021.
- Mullen PJ, Garcia G, Purkayastha A, Matulionis N, Schmid EW, Momcilovic M, Sen C, Langerman J, Ramaiah A, Shackelford DB, Damoiseaux R, French SW, Plath K, Gomperts BN, Arumugaswami V, Christofk HR. SARS-CoV-2 infection rewires host cell metabolism and is potentially susceptible to mTORC1 inhibition.. Nature communications, 2021.
- Garcia G, Sharma A, Ramaiah A, Sen C, Purkayastha A, Kohn DB, Parcells MS, Beck S, Kim H, Bakowski MA, Kirkpatrick MG, Riva L, Wolff KC, Han B, Yuen C, Ulmert D, Purbey PK, Scumpia P, Beutler N, Rogers TF, Chatterjee AK, Gabriel G, Bartenschlager R, Gomperts B, Svendsen CN, Betz UAK, Damoiseaux RD, Arumugaswami V. Antiviral drug screen identifies DNA-damage response inhibitor as potent blocker of SARS-CoV-2 replication.. Cell reports, 2021.
- Purkayastha A, Sen C, Garcia G, Langerman J, Shia DW, Meneses LK, Vijayaraj P, Durra A, Koloff CR, Freund DR, Chi J, Rickabaugh TM, Mulay A, Konda B, Sim MS, Stripp BR, Plath K, Arumugaswami V, Gomperts BN. Direct Exposure to SARS-CoV-2 and Cigarette Smoke Increases Infection Severity and Alters the Stem Cell-Derived Airway Repair Response.. Cell stem cell, 2020.
- Purkayastha A, Sen C, Garcia G, Langerman J, Vijayaraj P, Shia DW, Meneses LK, Rickabaugh TM, Mulay A, Konda B, Sim MS, Stripp BR, Plath K, Arumugaswami V, Gomperts BN. Direct exposure to SARS-CoV-2 and cigarette smoke increases infection severity and alters the stem cell-derived airway repair response.. bioRxiv : the preprint server for biology, 2020.
- Aros CJ, Vijayaraj P, Pantoja CJ, Bisht B, Meneses LK, Sandlin JM, Tse JA, Chen MW, Purkayastha A, Shia DW, Sucre JMS, Rickabaugh TM, Vladar EK, Paul MK, Gomperts BN. Distinct Spatiotemporally Dynamic Wnt-Secreting Niches Regulate Proximal Airway Regeneration and Aging.. Cell stem cell, 2020.
- Aros CJ, Paul MK, Pantoja CJ, Bisht B, Meneses LK, Vijayaraj P, Sandlin JM, France B, Tse JA, Chen MW, Shia DW, Rickabaugh TM, Damoiseaux R, Gomperts BN. High-Throughput Drug Screening Identifies a Potent Wnt Inhibitor that Promotes Airway Basal Stem Cell Homeostasis.. Cell reports, 2020.
- Vijayaraj P, Minasyan A, Durra A, Karumbayaram S, Mehrabi M, Aros CJ, Ahadome SD, Shia DW, Chung K, Sandlin JM, Darmawan KF, Bhatt KV, Manze CC, Paul MK, Wilkinson DC, Yan W, Clark AT, Rickabaugh TM, Wallace WD, Graeber TG, Damoiseaux R, Gomperts BN. Modeling Progressive Fibrosis with Pluripotent Stem Cells Identifies an Anti-fibrotic Small Molecule.. Cell reports, 2019.
- Balanis NG, Sheu KM, Esedebe FN, Patel SJ, Smith BA, Park JW, Alhani S, Gomperts BN, Huang J, Witte ON, Graeber TG. Pan-cancer Convergence to a Small-Cell Neuroendocrine Phenotype that Shares Susceptibilities with Hematological Malignancies.. Cancer cell, 2019.
- Hazim RA, Karumbayaram S, Jiang M, Dimashkie A, Lopes VS, Li D, Burgess BL, Vijayaraj P, Alva-Ornelas JA, Zack JA, Kohn DB, Gomperts BN, Pyle AD, Lowry WE, Williams DS. Correction to: Differentiation of RPE cells from integration-free iPS cells and their cell biological characterization.. Stem cell research & therapy, 2019.
- Wilkinson DC, Mellody M, Meneses LK, Hope AC, Dunn B, Gomperts BN. Development of a Three-Dimensional Bioengineering Technology to Generate Lung Tissue for Personalized Disease Modeling.. Current protocols in stem cell biology, 2018.
- Walser TC, Jing Z, Tran LM, Lin YQ, Yakobian N, Wang G, Krysan K, Zhu LX, Sharma S, Lee MH, Belperio JA, Ooi AT, Gomperts BN, Shay JW, Larsen JE, Minna JD, Hong LS, Fishbein MC, Dubinett SM. Silencing the Snail-Dependent RNA Splice Regulator ESRP1 Drives Malignant Transformation of Human Pulmonary Epithelial Cells.. Cancer research, 2018.
- Hazim RA, Karumbayaram S, Jiang M, Dimashkie A, Lopes VS, Li D, Burgess BL, Vijayaraj P, Alva-Ornelas JA, Zack JA, Kohn DB, Gomperts BN, Pyle AD, Lowry WE, Williams DS. Differentiation of RPE cells from integration-free iPS cells and their cell biological characterization.. Stem cell research & therapy, 2017.
- Kadyk LC, DeWitt ND, Gomperts B. Proceedings: Regenerative Medicine for Lung Diseases: A CIRM Workshop Report.. Stem cells translational medicine, 2017.
- Vijayaraj P, Gomperts BN. The aCCR(2)ual of M2 Macrophages Provides Some Breathing Room.. Cell stem cell, 2017.
- Sucre JM, Vijayaraj P, Aros CJ, Wilkinson D, Paul M, Dunn B, Guttentag SH, Gomperts BN. Posttranslational modification of β-catenin is associated with pathogenic fibroblastic changes in bronchopulmonary dysplasia.. American journal of physiology. Lung cellular and molecular physiology, 2016.
- Wilkinson DC, Alva-Ornelas JA, Sucre JM, Vijayaraj P, Durra A, Richardson W, Jonas SJ, Paul MK, Karumbayaram S, Dunn B, Gomperts BN. Development of a Three-Dimensional Bioengineering Technology to Generate Lung Tissue for Personalized Disease Modeling.. Stem cells translational medicine, 2016.
- Sucre JM, Wilkinson D, Vijayaraj P, Paul M, Dunn B, Alva-Ornelas JA, Gomperts BN. A three-dimensional human model of the fibroblast activation that accompanies bronchopulmonary dysplasia identifies Notch-mediated pathophysiology.. American journal of physiology. Lung cellular and molecular physiology, 2016.
- Ooi AT, Gomperts BN. Molecular Pathways: Targeting Cellular Energy Metabolism in Cancer via Inhibition of SLC2A1 and LDHA.. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, 2015.
- Paul MK, Bisht B, Darmawan DO, Chiou R, Ha VL, Wallace WD, Chon AT, Hegab AE, Grogan T, Elashoff DA, Alva-Ornelas JA, Gomperts BN. Dynamic changes in intracellular ROS levels regulate airway basal stem cell homeostasis through Nrf2-dependent Notch signaling.. Cell stem cell, 2014.
- Gomperts BN. Induction of multiciliated cells from induced pluripotent stem cells.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2014.
- Ooi AT, Gower AC, Zhang KX, Vick JL, Hong L, Nagao B, Wallace WD, Elashoff DA, Walser TC, Dubinett SM, Pellegrini M, Lenburg ME, Spira A, Gomperts BN. Molecular profiling of premalignant lesions in lung squamous cell carcinomas identifies mechanisms involved in stepwise carcinogenesis.. Cancer prevention research (Philadelphia, Pa.), 2014.
- Hegab AE, Ha VL, Bisht B, Darmawan DO, Ooi AT, Zhang KX, Paul MK, Kim YS, Gilbert JL, Attiga YS, Alva-Ornelas JA, Nickerson DW, Gomperts BN. Aldehyde dehydrogenase activity enriches for proximal airway basal stem cells and promotes their proliferation.. Stem cells and development, 2014.
- Perdomo C, Campbell JD, Gerrein J, Tellez CS, Garrison CB, Walser TC, Drizik E, Si H, Gower AC, Vick J, Anderlind C, Jackson GR, Mankus C, Schembri F, O'Hara C, Gomperts BN, Dubinett SM, Hayden P, Belinsky SA, Lenburg ME, Spira A. MicroRNA 4423 is a primate-specific regulator of airway epithelial cell differentiation and lung carcinogenesis.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2013.
- Gomperts BN, Walser TC, Spira A, Dubinett SM. Enriching the molecular definition of the airway "field of cancerization:" establishing new paradigms for the patient at risk for lung cancer.. Cancer prevention research (Philadelphia, Pa.), 2012.
- Hegab AE, Nickerson DW, Ha VL, Darmawan DO, Gomperts BN. Repair and regeneration of tracheal surface epithelium and submucosal glands in a mouse model of hypoxic-ischemic injury.. Respirology (Carlton, Vic.), 2012.
- Hegab AE, Ha VL, Darmawan DO, Gilbert JL, Ooi AT, Attiga YS, Bisht B, Nickerson DW, Gomperts BN. Isolation and in vitro characterization of basal and submucosal gland duct stem/progenitor cells from human proximal airways.. Stem cells translational medicine, 2012.
- Hegab AE, Ha VL, Attiga YS, Nickerson DW, Gomperts BN. Isolation of basal cells and submucosal gland duct cells from mouse trachea.. Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE, 2012.
- Ooi AT, Ram S, Kuo A, Gilbert JL, Yan W, Pellegrini M, Nickerson DW, Chatila TA, Gomperts BN. Identification of an interleukin 13-induced epigenetic signature in allergic airway inflammation.. American journal of translational research, 2012.
- Hegab AE, Ha VL, Gilbert JL, Zhang KX, Malkoski SP, Chon AT, Darmawan DO, Bisht B, Ooi AT, Pellegrini M, Nickerson DW, Gomperts BN. Novel stem/progenitor cell population from murine tracheal submucosal gland ducts with multipotent regenerative potential.. Stem cells (Dayton, Ohio), 2011.
- Gomperts BN, Spira A, Massion PP, Walser TC, Wistuba II, Minna JD, Dubinett SM. Evolving concepts in lung carcinogenesis.. Seminars in respiratory and critical care medicine, 2011.
- Chang VY, Quintero-Rivera F, Baldwin EE, Woo K, Martinez-Agosto JA, Fu C, Gomperts BN. B-acute lymphoblastic leukemia and cystinuria in a patient with duplication 22q11.21 detected by chromosomal microarray analysis.. Pediatric blood & cancer, 2010.
- Ooi AT, Mah V, Nickerson DW, Gilbert JL, Ha VL, Hegab AE, Horvath S, Alavi M, Maresh EL, Chia D, Gower AC, Lenburg ME, Spira A, Solis LM, Wistuba II, Walser TC, Wallace WD, Dubinett SM, Goodglick L, Gomperts BN. Presence of a putative tumor-initiating progenitor cell population predicts poor prognosis in smokers with non-small cell lung cancer.. Cancer research, 2010.
- Gomperts BN, Spira A, Elashoff DE, Dubinett SM. Lung cancer biomarkers: FISHing in the sputum for risk assessment and early detection.. Cancer prevention research (Philadelphia, Pa.), 2010.
- Nickerson DW, Presson AP, Weigt SS, Gregson AL, Belperio JA, Gomperts BN. Quantification of cytokeratin 5 mRNA expression in the circulation of healthy human subjects and after lung transplantation.. PloS one, 2009.
- Bekmezian A, Gomperts B, Weisleder P, Patraitis C, Thibodeau P, Parker-Mello K. Index of suspicion.. Pediatrics in review, 2009.
- Bekmezian A, Gomperts B. Case 1: A limping child...with abdominal pain.. Paediatrics & child health, 2008.
- Weigt SS, Elashoff RM, Keane MP, Strieter RM, Gomperts BN, Xue YY, Ardehali A, Gregson AL, Kubak B, Fishbein MC, Saggar R, Ross DJ, Lynch JP, Zisman DA, Belperio JA. Altered levels of CC chemokines during pulmonary CMV predict BOS and mortality post-lung transplantation.. American journal of transplantation : official journal of the American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons, 2008.
- Mehrad B, Keane MP, Gomperts BN, Strieter RM. Circulating progenitor cells in chronic lung disease.. Expert review of respiratory medicine, 2007.
- Gomperts BN, Strieter RM. Fibrocytes in lung disease.. Journal of leukocyte biology, 2007.
- Gomperts BN, Kim LJ, Flaherty SA, Hackett BP. IL-13 regulates cilia loss and foxj1 expression in human airway epithelium.. American journal of respiratory cell and molecular biology, 2007.
- Gomperts BN, Belperio JA, Fishbein MC, Keane MP, Burdick MD, Strieter RM. Keratinocyte growth factor improves repair in the injured tracheal epithelium.. American journal of respiratory cell and molecular biology, 2007.
- Strieter RM, Gomperts BN, Keane MP. The role of CXC chemokines in pulmonary fibrosis.. The Journal of clinical investigation, 2007.
- Keane MP, Gomperts BN, Weigt S, Xue YY, Burdick MD, Nakamura H, Zisman DA, Ardehali A, Saggar R, Lynch JP, Hogaboam C, Kunkel SL, Lukacs NW, Ross DJ, Grusby MJ, Strieter RM, Belperio JA. IL-13 is pivotal in the fibro-obliterative process of bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950), 2007.
- Gomperts BN, Strieter RM. Stem cells and chronic lung disease.. Annual review of medicine, 2007.
- Strieter RM, Burdick MD, Mestas J, Gomperts B, Keane MP, Belperio JA. Cancer CXC chemokine networks and tumour angiogenesis.. European journal of cancer (Oxford, England : 1990), 2006.
- Gomperts BN, Belperio JA, Rao PN, Randell SH, Fishbein MC, Burdick MD, Strieter RM. Circulating progenitor epithelial cells traffic via CXCR4/CXCL12 in response to airway injury.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950), 2006.
- Gomperts BN, Strieter RM. Chemokine-directed metastasis.. Contributions to microbiology, 2006.
- Belperio JA, Keane MP, Burdick MD, Gomperts BN, Xue YY, Hong K, Mestas J, Zisman D, Ardehali A, Saggar R, Lynch JP, Ross DJ, Strieter RM. CXCR2/CXCR2 ligand biology during lung transplant ischemia-reperfusion injury.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950), 2005.
- Strieter RM, Burdick MD, Gomperts BN, Belperio JA, Keane MP. CXC chemokines in angiogenesis.. Cytokine & growth factor reviews, 2005.
- Belperio JA, Keane MP, Burdick MD, Gomperts B, Xue YY, Hong K, Mestas J, Ardehali A, Mehrad B, Saggar R, Lynch JP, Ross DJ, Strieter RM. Role of CXCR2/CXCR2 ligands in vascular remodeling during bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome.. The Journal of clinical investigation, 2005.
- Gomperts BN, Gong-Cooper X, Hackett BP. Foxj1 regulates basal body anchoring to the cytoskeleton of ciliated pulmonary epithelial cells.. Journal of cell science, 2004.
- Gomperts BN, White LK. Gonococcal hand abscess.. The Pediatric infectious disease journal, 2000.