Christopher S Colwell
Professor-in-Residence, Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles
760 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095 760 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Member, Brain Research Institute, Molecular, Cellular & Integrative Physiology GPB Home Area, Neuroscience GPB Home Area
Most organisms, including humans, exhibit daily rhythms in their behavior and physiology. In most cases, these rhythms are generated by endogenous processes referred to as circadian oscillators. These oscillators provide temporal structure to an organism?s physiological processes. Nearly all functions of the body show significant daily variations including arousal, cognition, learning, memory, motor performance and perception. This temporal variation obviously plays an important role in the body?s homeostatic mechanisms and has a major impact on the function of the nervous system. Mammals have evolved a set of anatomically discrete cell populations that function as a physiological system to provide temporal organization on a circadian time scale. These structures are commonly referred to as the circadian system and can be localized to a pair of structures in the hypothalamus known as the suprachiasmatic nucleus or SCN. Importantly, when SCN cells are removed from the organism and maintained in a brain slice preparation, they continue to generate 24-hour rhythms in electrical activity, secretion, and gene expression. Previous studies suggest that the basic mechanism responsible for the generation of these rhythms is intrinsic to individual cells in the SCN. In order to function adaptively, these cells must be synchronized to the exact 24 hr cycle of the physical world. The daily cycle of light and dark is the dominant cue used by organisms, including humans, to synchronize their biological clocks to the environment. Therefore, in the simplest case, a circadian system can be modeled as having three components: 1) input pathways by which the environment and other components of the nervous system provide information to the SCN, 2) an oscillator or clock within the SCN responsible for the generation of the daily rhythm, and 3) output pathways by which the SCN provides temporal information to a wide range of physiological and behavioral control centers. The long-term goal of our research program is to understand each of these three components at different levels of organization from systems to molecular. My laboratory uses two strategies to approach this goal. In one, a systems-level analysis is carried out on the effects of genetic and pharmacological manipulations on behavioral rhythms driven by the circadian system. The other strategy examines the effects of these manipulations on the cellular/molecular activity of neural populations that make up this system. http://www.mrrc.npi.ucla.edu/CColwell/Colwell_Lab_WebPage/page1.htm
Christopher S. Colwell is a Neuroscientist who has served on the UCLA School of Medicine faculty since he joined the Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences in 1997. He became a Professor in 2008. Dr. Colwell earned his B.S. in Neuroscience from Vanderbilt University in 1985. During this time, he started his research in circadian rhythms under the mentorship of Dr. T. Page. Dr. Colwell earned his Ph.D. in Biology at the University of Virginia in 1991. His thesis work explored the neural mechanisms by which light regulates circadian rhythms. Dr. Colwell continued this line of research during a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Virginia with Dr. G. Block. A second postdoctoral fellowship was carried out on the topics of motor control and excitotoxicity in the laboratory of Dr. M. Levine at UCLA. Dr. Colwell learned how to utilize imaging techniques to measure calcium levels inside neurons while a visiting scientist in the laboratory of Dr. Konnerth at the University of Saarland, Germany. Since Dr. Colwell’s faculty appointment at UCLA, his laboratory’s research has focused on understanding the mechanisms underlying circadian rhythms in mammals. Dysfunction in the timing these daily cycles is a key symptom in a number of neurological and psychiatric disorders. Better understanding the basic biology of this timing system should result in new therapies to improve the quality of life of these patients and the people who care for them.
- Ricketts EJ, Montalbano GE, Burgess HJ, McMakin DL, Coles ME, Piacentini J, Colwell CS. Sleep and chronotype in adults with persistent tic disorders.. Journal of clinical psychology, 2022.
- Gu X, Richman J, Langfelder P, Wang N, Zhang S, Bañez-Coronel M, Wang HB, Yang L, Ramanathan L, Deng L, Park CS, Choi CR, Cantle JP, Gao F, Gray M, Coppola G, Bates GP, Ranum LPW, Horvath S, Colwell CS, Yang XW. Uninterrupted CAG repeat drives striatum-selective transcriptionopathy and nuclear pathogenesis in human Huntingtin BAC mice.. Neuron, 2022.
- Griffis CG, Mistry J, Islam K, Cutler T, Colwell CS, Garfinkel A. Circadian and ultradian rhythms in normal mice and in a mouse model of Huntington's disease.. Chronobiology international, 2022.
- Park S, Luk SHC, Bains RS, Whittaker DS, Chiem E, Jordan MC, Roos KP, Ghiani CA, Colwell CS. Targeted Genetic Reduction of Mutant Huntingtin Lessens Cardiac Pathology in the BACHD Mouse Model of Huntington's Disease.. Frontiers in cardiovascular medicine, 2021.
- Brown MR, Sen SK, Mazzone A, Her TK, Xiong Y, Lee JH, Javeed N, Colwell CS, Rakshit K, LeBrasseur NK, Gaspar-Maia A, Ordog T, Matveyenko AV. Time-restricted feeding prevents deleterious metabolic effects of circadian disruption through epigenetic control of β cell function.. Science advances, 2021.
- Colwell CS. Defining circadian disruption in neurodegenerative disorders.. The Journal of clinical investigation, 2021.
- Saravanapandian V, Nadkarni D, Hsu SH, Hussain SA, Maski K, Golshani P, Colwell CS, Balasubramanian S, Dixon A, Geschwind DH, Jeste SS. Abnormal sleep physiology in children with 15q11.2-13.1 duplication (Dup15q) syndrome.. Molecular autism, 2021.
- Miyazaki S, Tahara Y, Colwell CS, Block GD, Nakamura W, Nakamura TJ. Chronic methamphetamine uncovers a circadian rhythm in multiple-unit neural activity in the dorsal striatum which is independent of the suprachiasmatic nucleus.. Neurobiology of sleep and circadian rhythms, 2021.
- Ricketts EJ, Burgess HJ, Montalbano GE, Coles ME, McGuire JF, Thamrin H, McMakin DL, McCracken JT, Carskadon MA, Piacentini J, Colwell CS. Morning light therapy in adults with Tourette's disorder.. Journal of neurology, 2021.
- Michel S, Nakamura TJ, Meijer JH, Colwell CS. Electrophysiological Approaches to Studying the Suprachiasmatic Nucleus.. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.), 2021.
- Wang HB, Tahara Y, Luk SHC, Kim YS, Hitchcock ON, MacDowell Kaswan ZA, In Kim Y, Block GD, Ghiani CA, Loh DH, Colwell CS. Melatonin treatment of repetitive behavioral deficits in the Cntnap2 mouse model of autism spectrum disorder.. Neurobiology of disease, 2020.
- Motohashi H, Tahara Y, Whittaker DS, Wang HB, Yamaji T, Wakui H, Haraguchi A, Yamazaki M, Miyakawa H, Hama K, Sasaki H, Sakai T, Hirooka R, Takahashi K, Takizawa M, Makino S, Aoyama S, Colwell CS, Shibata S. The circadian clock is disrupted in mice with adenine-induced tubulointerstitial nephropathy.. Kidney international, 2020.
- Cepeda C, Colwell CS. Michael S. Levine: Research pioneer of basal ganglia function and dysfunction. A small tribute on the occasion of his 75th birthday anniversary.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2019.
- Smarr B, Cutler T, Loh DH, Kudo T, Kuljis D, Kriegsfeld L, Ghiani CA, Colwell CS. Circadian dysfunction in the Q175 model of Huntington's disease: Network analysis.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2019.
- Park S, Colwell CS. Do Disruptions in the Circadian Timing System Contribute to Autonomic Dysfunction in Huntington's Disease?. The Yale journal of biology and medicine, 2019.
- Kim YB, Colwell CS, Kim YI. Long-term ionic plasticity of GABAergic signalling in the hypothalamus.. Journal of neuroendocrinology, 2019.
- Colwell CS, Ghiani CA. Potential Circadian Rhythms in Oligodendrocytes? Working Together Through Time.. Neurochemical research, 2019.
- Lee FY, Wang HB, Hitchcock ON, Loh DH, Whittaker DS, Kim YS, Aiken A, Kokikian C, Dell'Angelica EC, Colwell CS, Ghiani CA. Sleep/Wake Disruption in a Mouse Model of BLOC-1 Deficiency.. Frontiers in neuroscience, 2018.
- Colwell CS, Donlea J. Temporal Coding of Sleep.. Cell, 2018.
- Morinaga K, Sasaki H, Park S, Hokugo A, Okawa H, Tahara Y, Colwell CS, Nishimura I. Neuronal PAS domain 2 (Npas2) facilitated osseointegration of titanium implant with rough surface through a neuroskeletal mechanism.. Biomaterials, 2018.
- Ricketts EJ, Sturm A, McMakin DL, McGuire JF, Tan PZ, Smalberg FB, McCracken JT, Colwell CS, Piacentini J. Changes in Sleep Problems Across Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Treatment: Findings from the Multimodal Treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Study.. Journal of child and adolescent psychopharmacology, 2018.
- Kuljis D, Kudo T, Tahara Y, Ghiani CA, Colwell CS. Pathophysiology in the suprachiasmatic nucleus in mouse models of Huntington's disease.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2018.
- Whittaker DS, Loh DH, Wang HB, Tahara Y, Kuljis D, Cutler T, Ghiani CA, Shibata S, Block GD, Colwell CS. Circadian-based Treatment Strategy Effective in the BACHD Mouse Model of Huntington's Disease.. Journal of biological rhythms, 2018.
- Rakshit K, Qian J, Gaonkar KS, Dhawan S, Colwell CS, Matveyenko AV. Postnatal Ontogenesis of the Islet Circadian Clock Plays a Contributory Role in β-Cell Maturation Process.. Diabetes, 2018.
- Wang HB, Loh DH, Whittaker DS, Cutler T, Howland D, Colwell CS. Time-Restricted Feeding Improves Circadian Dysfunction as well as Motor Symptoms in the Q175 Mouse Model of Huntington's Disease.. eNeuro, 2018.
- Ricketts EJ, Rozenman M, Choy C, Goldberg HB, Kim JS, Colwell CS, McCracken JT, Piacentini J. Sleep Sufficiency in Pediatric and Adolescent Tourette's Disorder: National Survey of Children's Health.. Journal of developmental and behavioral pediatrics : JDBP, 2018.
- Kim YB, Kim WB, Jung WW, Jin X, Kim YS, Kim B, Han HC, Block GD, Colwell CS, Kim YI. Excitatory GABAergic Action and Increased Vasopressin Synthesis in Hypothalamic Magnocellular Neurosecretory Cells Underlie the High Plasma Level of Vasopressin in Diabetic Rats.. Diabetes, 2017.
- Whittaker DS, Wang HB, Loh DH, Cachope R, Colwell CS. Possible use of a H3R antagonist for the management of nonmotor symptoms in the Q175 mouse model of Huntington's disease.. Pharmacology research & perspectives, 2017.
- Hassan N, McCarville K, Morinaga K, Mengatto CM, Langfelder P, Hokugo A, Tahara Y, Colwell CS, Nishimura I. Titanium biomaterials with complex surfaces induced aberrant peripheral circadian rhythms in bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cells.. PloS one, 2017.
- Cutler TS, Park S, Loh DH, Jordan MC, Yokota T, Roos KP, Ghiani CA, Colwell CS. Neurocardiovascular deficits in the Q175 mouse model of Huntington's disease.. Physiological reports, 2017.
- Qian J, Thomas AP, Schroeder AM, Rakshit K, Colwell CS, Matveyenko AV. Development of diabetes does not alter behavioral and molecular circadian rhythms in a transgenic rat model of type 2 diabetes mellitus.. American journal of physiology. Endocrinology and metabolism, 2017.
- Allen CN, Nitabach MN, Colwell CS. Membrane Currents, Gene Expression, and Circadian Clocks.. Cold Spring Harbor perspectives in biology, 2017.
- Ricketts EJ, Snorrason I, Rozenman M, Colwell CS, McCracken JT, Piacentini J. Sleep functioning in adults with trichotillomania (hair-pulling disorder), excoriation (skin-picking) disorder, and a non-affected comparison sample.. Journal of obsessive-compulsive and related disorders, 2017.
- Wang HB, Whittaker DS, Truong D, Mulji AK, Ghiani CA, Loh DH, Colwell CS. Blue light therapy improves circadian dysfunction as well as motor symptoms in two mouse models of Huntington's disease.. Neurobiology of sleep and circadian rhythms, 2017.
- Colwell CS. Circadian Rhythms: Does Burning the Midnight Oil Leave You Weak?. Current biology : CB, 2016.
- Kim YS, Kim YB, Kim WB, Lee SW, Oh SB, Han HC, Lee CJ, Colwell CS, Kim YI. Histamine 1 receptor-Gβγ-cAMP/PKA-CFTR pathway mediates the histamine-induced resetting of the suprachiasmatic circadian clock.. Molecular brain, 2016.
- Kuljis DA, Gad L, Loh DH, MacDowell Kaswan Z, Hitchcock ON, Ghiani CA, Colwell CS. Sex Differences in Circadian Dysfunction in the BACHD Mouse Model of Huntington's Disease.. PloS one, 2016.
- Schroeder AM, Wang HB, Park S, Jordan MC, Gao F, Coppola G, Fishbein MC, Roos KP, Ghiani CA, Colwell CS. Cardiac Dysfunction in the BACHD Mouse Model of Huntington's Disease.. PloS one, 2016.
- Loh DH, Jami SA, Flores RE, Truong D, Ghiani CA, O'Dell TJ, Colwell CS. Misaligned feeding impairs memories.. eLife, 2015.
- Kudo T, Block GD, Colwell CS. The Circadian Clock Gene Period1 Connects the Molecular Clock to Neural Activity in the Suprachiasmatic Nucleus.. ASN neuro, 2015.
- Nakamura TJ, Nakamura W, Tokuda IT, Ishikawa T, Kudo T, Colwell CS, Block GD. Age-Related Changes in the Circadian System Unmasked by Constant Conditions. eNeuro, 2015.
- Qian J, Yeh B, Rakshit K, Colwell CS, Matveyenko AV. Circadian Disruption and Diet-Induced Obesity Synergize to Promote Development of β-Cell Failure and Diabetes in Male Rats.. Endocrinology, 2015.
- Kim YS, Kim YB, Kim WB, Yoon BE, Shen FY, Lee SW, Soong TW, Han HC, Colwell CS, Lee CJ, Kim YI. Histamine resets the circadian clock in the suprachiasmatic nucleus through the H1R-CaV 1.3-RyR pathway in the mouse.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2015.
- Chen X, Wang L, Loh DH, Colwell CS, Taché Y, Reue K, Arnold AP. Sex differences in diurnal rhythms of food intake in mice caused by gonadal hormones and complement of sex chromosomes.. Hormones and behavior, 2015.
- Vosko A, van Diepen HC, Kuljis D, Chiu AM, Heyer D, Terra H, Carpenter E, Michel S, Meijer JH, Colwell CS. Role of vasoactive intestinal peptide in the light input to the circadian system.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2015.
- Li Q, Loh DH, Kudo T, Truong D, Derakhshesh M, Kaswan ZM, Ghiani CA, Tsoa R, Cheng Y, Sun YE, Colwell CS. Circadian rhythm disruption in a mouse model of Rett syndrome circadian disruption in RTT.. Neurobiology of disease, 2015.
- Loh DH, Kudo T, Colwell CS. Short circuiting the circadian system with a new generation of precision tools.. Neuron, 2015.
- Ago Y, Condro MC, Tan YV, Ghiani CA, Colwell CS, Cushman JD, Fanselow MS, Hashimoto H, Waschek JA. Reductions in synaptic proteins and selective alteration of prepulse inhibition in male C57BL/6 mice after postnatal administration of a VIP receptor (VIPR2) agonist.. Psychopharmacology, 2015.
- Colwell CS, Matveyenko AV. Timing is everything: implications for metabolic consequences of sleep restriction.. Diabetes, 2014.
- Kudo T, Loh DH, Tahara Y, Truong D, Hernández-Echeagaray E, Colwell CS. Circadian dysfunction in response to in vivo treatment with the mitochondrial toxin 3-nitropropionic acid.. ASN neuro, 2014.
- Schroeder AM, Colwell CS. How to fix a broken clock.. Trends in pharmacological sciences, 2013.
- Kim YB, Kim YS, Kim WB, Shen FY, Lee SW, Chung HJ, Kim JS, Han HC, Colwell CS, Kim YI. GABAergic excitation of vasopressin neurons: possible mechanism underlying sodium-dependent hypertension.. Circulation research, 2013.
- Loh DH, Kudo T, Truong D, Wu Y, Colwell CS. The Q175 mouse model of Huntington's disease shows gene dosage- and age-related decline in circadian rhythms of activity and sleep.. PloS one, 2013.
- Qian J, Block GD, Colwell CS, Matveyenko AV. Consequences of exposure to light at night on the pancreatic islet circadian clock and function in rats.. Diabetes, 2013.
- Kudo T, Tahara Y, Gamble KL, McMahon DG, Block GD, Colwell CS. Vasoactive intestinal peptide produces long-lasting changes in neural activity in the suprachiasmatic nucleus.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2013.
- Kuljis DA, Loh DH, Truong D, Vosko AM, Ong ML, McClusky R, Arnold AP, Colwell CS. Gonadal- and sex-chromosome-dependent sex differences in the circadian system.. Endocrinology, 2013.
- Willison LD, Kudo T, Loh DH, Kuljis D, Colwell CS. Circadian dysfunction may be a key component of the non-motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease: insights from a transgenic mouse model.. Experimental neurology, 2013.
- Michel S, Marek R, Vanderleest HT, Vansteensel MJ, Schwartz WJ, Colwell CS, Meijer JH. Mechanism of bilateral communication in the suprachiasmatic nucleus.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2013.
- Schroeder AM, Truong D, Loh DH, Jordan MC, Roos KP, Colwell CS. Voluntary scheduled exercise alters diurnal rhythms of behaviour, physiology and gene expression in wild-type and vasoactive intestinal peptide-deficient mice.. The Journal of physiology, 2012.
- Kuljis D, Schroeder AM, Kudo T, Loh DH, Willison DL, Colwell CS. Sleep and circadian dysfunction in neurodegenerative disorders: insights from a mouse model of Huntington's disease.. Minerva pneumologica, 2012.
- Lucassen EA, van Diepen HC, Houben T, Michel S, Colwell CS, Meijer JH. Role of vasoactive intestinal peptide in seasonal encoding by the suprachiasmatic nucleus clock.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2012.
- Meijer JH, Colwell CS, Rohling JHT, Houben T, Michel S. Dynamic neuronal network organization of the circadian clock and possible deterioration in disease.. Progress in brain research, 2012.
- Gale JE, Cox HI, Qian J, Block GD, Colwell CS, Matveyenko AV. Disruption of circadian rhythms accelerates development of diabetes through pancreatic beta-cell loss and dysfunction.. Journal of biological rhythms, 2011.
- Kim JS, Kim WB, Kim YB, Lee Y, Kim YS, Shen FY, Lee SW, Park D, Choi HJ, Hur J, Park JJ, Han HC, Colwell CS, Cho YW, Kim YI. Chronic hyperosmotic stress converts GABAergic inhibition into excitation in vasopressin and oxytocin neurons in the rat.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2011.
- Colwell CS. Linking neural activity and molecular oscillations in the SCN.. Nature reviews. Neuroscience, 2011.
- Fulton D, Paez P, Spreur V, Handley V, Colwell CS, Campagnoni A, Fisher R. Developmental activation of the proteolipid protein promoter transgene in neuronal and oligodendroglial cells of neostriatum in mice.. Developmental neuroscience, 2011.
- Kudo T, Loh DH, Truong D, Wu Y, Colwell CS. Circadian dysfunction in a mouse model of Parkinson's disease.. Experimental neurology, 2011.
- Nakamura TJ, Nakamura W, Yamazaki S, Kudo T, Cutler T, Colwell CS, Block GD. Age-related decline in circadian output.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2011.
- Atkinson SE, Maywood ES, Chesham JE, Wozny C, Colwell CS, Hastings MH, Williams SR. Cyclic AMP signaling control of action potential firing rate and molecular circadian pacemaking in the suprachiasmatic nucleus.. Journal of biological rhythms, 2011.
- Loh DH, Dragich JM, Kudo T, Schroeder AM, Nakamura TJ, Waschek JA, Block GD, Colwell CS. Effects of vasoactive intestinal peptide genotype on circadian gene expression in the suprachiasmatic nucleus and peripheral organs.. Journal of biological rhythms, 2011.
- Gamble KL, Kudo T, Colwell CS, McMahon DG. Gastrin-releasing peptide modulates fast delayed rectifier potassium current in Per1-expressing SCN neurons.. Journal of biological rhythms, 2011.
- Kudo T, Loh DH, Kuljis D, Constance C, Colwell CS. Fast delayed rectifier potassium current: critical for input and output of the circadian system.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2011.
- Mengatto CM, Mussano F, Honda Y, Colwell CS, Nishimura I. Circadian rhythm and cartilage extracellular matrix genes in osseointegration: a genome-wide screening of implant failure by vitamin D deficiency.. PloS one, 2011.
- Hu WP, Li JD, Colwell CS, Zhou QY. Decreased REM sleep and altered circadian sleep regulation in mice lacking vasoactive intestinal polypeptide.. Sleep, 2011.
- Kudo T, Schroeder A, Loh DH, Kuljis D, Jordan MC, Roos KP, Colwell CS. Dysfunctions in circadian behavior and physiology in mouse models of Huntington's disease.. Experimental neurology, 2010.
- Schroeder A, Loh DH, Jordan MC, Roos KP, Colwell CS. Circadian regulation of cardiovascular function: a role for vasoactive intestinal peptide.. American journal of physiology. Heart and circulatory physiology, 2010.
- Loh DH, Navarro J, Hagopian A, Wang LM, Deboer T, Colwell CS. Rapid changes in the light/dark cycle disrupt memory of conditioned fear in mice.. PloS one, 2010.
- Vosko AM, Colwell CS, Avidan AY. Jet lag syndrome: circadian organization, pathophysiology, and management strategies.. Nature and science of sleep, 2010.
- Fulton D, Paez PM, Fisher R, Handley V, Colwell CS, Campagnoni AT. Regulation of L-type Ca++ currents and process morphology in white matter oligodendrocyte precursor cells by golli-myelin proteins.. Glia, 2010.
- Dragich JM, Loh DH, Wang LM, Vosko AM, Kudo T, Nakamura TJ, Odom IH, Tateyama S, Hagopian A, Waschek JA, Colwell CS. The role of the neuropeptides PACAP and VIP in the photic regulation of gene expression in the suprachiasmatic nucleus.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2010.
- Nakamura TJ, Sellix MT, Kudo T, Nakao N, Yoshimura T, Ebihara S, Colwell CS, Block GD. Influence of the estrous cycle on clock gene expression in reproductive tissues: effects of fluctuating ovarian steroid hormone levels.. Steroids, 2010.
- Itri JN, Vosko AM, Schroeder A, Dragich JM, Michel S, Colwell CS. Circadian regulation of a-type potassium currents in the suprachiasmatic nucleus.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2009.
- Paez PM, Fulton DJ, Spreuer V, Handley V, Campagnoni CW, Macklin WB, Colwell C, Campagnoni AT. Golli myelin basic proteins regulate oligodendroglial progenitor cell migration through voltage-gated Ca2+ influx.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2009.
- Ciarleglio CM, Gamble KL, Axley JC, Strauss BR, Cohen JY, Colwell CS, McMahon DG. Population encoding by circadian clock neurons organizes circadian behavior.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2009.
- Chaudhury D, Loh DH, Dragich JM, Hagopian A, Colwell CS. Select cognitive deficits in vasoactive intestinal peptide deficient mice.. BMC neuroscience, 2008.
- Loh DH, Abad C, Colwell CS, Waschek JA. Vasoactive intestinal peptide is critical for circadian regulation of glucocorticoids.. Neuroendocrinology, 2008.
- Choi HJ, Lee CJ, Schroeder A, Kim YS, Jung SH, Kim JS, Kim DY, Son EJ, Han HC, Hong SK, Colwell CS, Kim YI. Excitatory actions of GABA in the suprachiasmatic nucleus.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2008.
- Colwell CS. Soporific signaling: how flies sleep through the night.. Nature neuroscience, 2007.
- Vosko AM, Schroeder A, Loh DH, Colwell CS. Vasoactive intestinal peptide and the mammalian circadian system.. General and comparative endocrinology, 2007.
- Colwell CS. BK channels and circadian output.. Nature neuroscience, 2006.
- Feng JM, Hu YK, Xie LH, Colwell CS, Shao XM, Sun XP, Chen B, Tang H, Campagnoni AT. Golli protein negatively regulates store depletion-induced calcium influx in T cells.. Immunity, 2006.
- Michel S, Itri J, Han JH, Gniotczynski K, Colwell CS. Regulation of glutamatergic signalling by PACAP in the mammalian suprachiasmatic nucleus.. BMC neuroscience, 2006.
- Wang LM, Suthana NA, Chaudhury D, Weaver DR, Colwell CS. Melatonin inhibits hippocampal long-term potentiation.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2005.
- Jacobs EC, Pribyl TM, Feng JM, Kampf K, Spreur V, Campagnoni C, Colwell CS, Reyes SD, Martin M, Handley V, Hiltner TD, Readhead C, Jacobs RE, Messing A, Fisher RS, Campagnoni AT. Region-specific myelin pathology in mice lacking the golli products of the myelin basic protein gene.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2005.
- Chaudhury D, Wang LM, Colwell CS. Circadian regulation of hippocampal long-term potentiation.. Journal of biological rhythms, 2005.
- Itri JN, Michel S, Vansteensel MJ, Meijer JH, Colwell CS. Fast delayed rectifier potassium current is required for circadian neural activity.. Nature neuroscience, 2005.
- Aton SJ, Colwell CS, Harmar AJ, Waschek J, Herzog ED. Vasoactive intestinal polypeptide mediates circadian rhythmicity and synchrony in mammalian clock neurons.. Nature neuroscience, 2005.
- Colwell CS. Bridging the gap: coupling single-cell oscillators in the suprachiasmatic nucleus.. Nature neuroscience, 2005.
- Colwell CS, Michel S, Itri J, Rodriguez W, Tam J, Lelièvre V, Hu Z, Waschek JA. Selective deficits in the circadian light response in mice lacking PACAP.. American journal of physiology. Regulatory, integrative and comparative physiology, 2004.
- Itri J, Michel S, Waschek JA, Colwell CS. Circadian rhythm in inhibitory synaptic transmission in the mouse suprachiasmatic nucleus.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2004.
- Colwell CS, Michel S. Sleep and circadian rhythms: do sleep centers talk back to the clock?. Nature neuroscience, 2003.
- Itri J, Colwell CS. Regulation of inhibitory synaptic transmission by vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) in the mouse suprachiasmatic nucleus.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2003.
- Colwell CS, Michel S, Itri J, Rodriguez W, Tam J, Lelievre V, Hu Z, Liu X, Waschek JA. Disrupted circadian rhythms in VIP- and PHI-deficient mice.. American journal of physiology. Regulatory, integrative and comparative physiology, 2003.
- Michel S, Itri J, Colwell CS. Excitatory mechanisms in the suprachiasmatic nucleus: the role of AMPA/KA glutamate receptors.. Journal of neurophysiology, 2002.
- Chaudhury D, Colwell CS. Circadian modulation of learning and memory in fear-conditioned mice.. Behavioural brain research, 2002.
- Colwell CS. Rhythmic coupling among cells in the suprachiasmatic nucleus.. Journal of neurobiology, 2000.
- Colwell CS. Circadian modulation of calcium levels in cells in the suprachiasmatic nucleus.. The European journal of neuroscience, 2000.
- Colwell CS, Levine MS. Metabotropic glutamate receptor modulation of excitotoxicity in the neostriatum: role of calcium channels.. Brain research, 1999.
- Colwell CS, Cepeda C, Crawford C, Levine MS. Postnatal development of glutamate receptor-mediated responses in the neostriatum.. Developmental neuroscience, 1998.