David Wayne Dawson
Professor-in-Residence, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California Los Angeles
Dept. of Pathology
Mail Code 173216
10833 LeConte Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Office Phone Number:
Associate Director, UCLA-Caltech Medical Scientist Training Program
Member, Cell & Developmental Biology GPB Home Area, Immunity, Microbes & Molecular Pathogenesis GPB Home Area, JCCC Signal Transduction and Therapeutics Program Area, Molecular Pharmacology GPB Home Area
Faculty, Cellular and Molecular Pathology PhD Program
David Dawson is a cell and molecular biologist and practicing surgical pathologist who has served on the UCLA School of Medicine faculty since 2006 when he was appointed Assistant Professor in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. Dr. Dawson earned his B.S. in Zoology at Duke University. He earned his M.D. and Ph.D. in Molecular Biology and Genetics at Northwestern University, where he worked on angiogenesis. Dr. Dawson completed his residency training in Anatomic Pathology and subspecialty fellowship in gastrointestinal pathology in the Department of Pathology at UCLA. From 2002 to 2006 he was a combined clinical instructor in surgical pathology and postdoctoral research fellow in the Department of Pathology at UCLA, where he worked on epigenetics and lymphomagenesis. Dr. Dawson’s research currently involves basic and translational research on pancreatic tumorigenesis.
- Jamshidi N, Senthilvelan J, Dawson DW, Donahue TR, Kuo MD. Construction of a radiogenomic association map of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.. BMC cancer, 2023.
- Aguilera KY, Le T, Riahi R, Lay AR, Hinz S, Saadat EA, Vashisht AA, Wohlschlegel J, Donahue TR, Radu CG, Dawson DW. Porcupine Inhibition Disrupts Mitochondrial Function and Homeostasis in WNT Ligand-Addicted Pancreatic Cancer.. Molecular cancer therapeutics, 2022.
- Mona CE, Benz MR, Hikmat F, Grogan TR, Lueckerath K, Razmaria A, Riahi R, Slavik R, Girgis MD, Carlucci G, Kelly KA, French SW, Czernin J, Dawson DW, Calais J. Correlation of 68Ga-FAPi-46 PET Biodistribution with FAP Expression by Immunohistochemistry in Patients with Solid Cancers: Interim Analysis of a Prospective Translational Exploratory Study.. Journal of nuclear medicine : official publication, Society of Nuclear Medicine, 2021.
- Mareninova OA, Vegh ET, Shalbueva N, Wightman CJ, Dillon DL, Malla S, Xie Y, Takahashi T, Rakonczay Z, French SW, Gaisano HY, Gorelick FS, Pandol SJ, Bensinger SJ, Davidson NO, Dawson DW, Gukovsky I, Gukovskaya AS. Dysregulation of mannose-6-phosphate-dependent cholesterol homeostasis in acinar cells mediates pancreatitis.. The Journal of clinical investigation, 2021.
- Aguilera KY, Dawson DW. WNT Ligand Dependencies in Pancreatic Cancer.. Frontiers in cell and developmental biology, 2021.
- Current K, Meyer C, Magyar CE, Mona CE, Almajano J, Slavik R, Stuparu AD, Cheng C, Dawson DW, Radu CG, Czernin J, Lueckerath K. Investigating PSMA-Targeted Radioligand Therapy Efficacy as a Function of Cellular PSMA Levels and Intratumoral PSMA Heterogeneity.. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, 2020.
- Koutsioumpa M, Hatziapostolou M, Polytarchou C, Tolosa EJ, Almada LL, Mahurkar-Joshi S, Williams J, Tirado-Rodriguez AB, Huerta-Yepez S, Karavias D, Kourea H, Poultsides GA, Struhl K, Dawson DW, Donahue TR, Fernández-Zapico ME, Iliopoulos D. Lysine methyltransferase 2D regulates pancreatic carcinogenesis through metabolic reprogramming.. Gut, 2018.
- Chang HH, Moro A, Chou CEN, Dawson DW, French S, Schmidt AI, Sinnett-Smith J, Hao F, Hines OJ, Eibl G, Rozengurt E. Metformin Decreases the Incidence of Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma Promoted by Diet-induced Obesity in the Conditional KrasG12D Mouse Model.. Scientific reports, 2018.
- Chang HH, Moro A, Takakura K, Su HY, Mo A, Nakanishi M, Waldron RT, French SW, Dawson DW, Hines OJ, Li G, Go VLW, Sinnett-Smith J, Pandol SJ, Lugea A, Gukovskaya AS, Duff MO, Rosenberg DW, Rozengurt E, Eibl G. Incidence of pancreatic cancer is dramatically increased by a high fat, high calorie diet in KrasG12D mice.. PloS one, 2017.
- Sugimoto M, Hines OJ, Dawson DW, Muthusamy VR, Reber HA, Donahue TR. Preoperative Treatment With FOLFIRINOX and Successful Resection for a Patient With Mixed Acinar-Endocrine Carcinoma of the Pancreas.. Pancreas, 2017.
- Nguyen AH, Elliott IA, Wu N, Matsumura C, Vogelauer M, Attar N, Dann A, Ghukasyan R, Toste PA, Patel SG, Williams JL, Li L, Dawson DW, Radu C, Kurdistani SK, Donahue TR. Histone deacetylase inhibitors provoke a tumor supportive phenotype in pancreatic cancer associated fibroblasts.. Oncotarget, 2017.
- Schmidt A, Sinnett-Smith J, Young S, Chang HH, Hines OJ, Dawson DW, Rozengurt E, Eibl G. Direct growth-inhibitory effects of prostaglandin E2 in pancreatic cancer cells in vitro through an EP4/PKA-mediated mechanism.. Surgery, 2017.
- Sugimoto M, Elliott IA, Nguyen AH, Kim S, Muthusamy VR, Watson R, Hines OJ, Dawson DW, Reber HA, Donahue TR. Assessment of a Revised Management Strategy for Patients With Intraductal Papillary Mucinous Neoplasms Involving the Main Pancreatic Duct.. JAMA surgery, 2017.
- Williams JL, Chan CK, Toste PA, Elliott IA, Vasquez CR, Sunjaya DB, Swanson EA, Koo J, Hines OJ, Reber HA, Dawson DW, Donahue TR. Association of Histopathologic Phenotype of Periampullary Adenocarcinomas With Survival.. JAMA surgery, 2017.
- Moris M, Dawson DW, Jiang J, Lewis J, Nassar A, Takeuchi KK, Lay AR, Zhai Q, Donahue TR, Kelly KA, Crawford HC, Wallace M. Plectin-1 as a Biomarker of Malignant Progression in Intraductal Papillary Mucinous Neoplasms: A Multicenter Study.. Pancreas, 2016.
- Koo J, Dawson DW, Dry S, French SW, Naini BV, Wang HL. Allograft biopsy findings in patients with small bowel transplantation.. Clinical transplantation, 2016.
- Donahue TR, Dawson DW. Leveraging Mechanisms Governing Pancreatic Tumorigenesis To Reduce Pancreatic Cancer Mortality.. Trends in endocrinology and metabolism: TEM, 2016.
- Dawson DW, Fernandez-Zapico ME. Gemcitabine Activates Natural Killer Cells to Attenuate Pancreatic Cancer Recurrence.. Gastroenterology, 2016.
- Toste PA, Nguyen AH, Kadera BE, Duong M, Wu N, Gawlas I, Tran LM, Bikhchandani M, Li L, Patel SG, Dawson DW, Donahue TR. Chemotherapy-Induced Inflammatory Gene Signature and Protumorigenic Phenotype in Pancreatic CAFs via Stress-Associated MAPK.. Molecular cancer research : MCR, 2016.
- Hertzer KM, Xu M, Moro A, Dawson DW, Du L, Li G, Chang HH, Stark AP, Jung X, Hines OJ, Eibl G. Robust Early Inflammation of the Peripancreatic Visceral Adipose Tissue During Diet-Induced Obesity in the KrasG12D Model of Pancreatic Cancer.. Pancreas, 2016.
- Stark AP, Sacks GD, Rochefort MM, Donahue TR, Reber HA, Tomlinson JS, Dawson DW, Eibl G, Hines OJ. Long-term survival in patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.. Surgery, 2016.
- Arensman MD, Nguyen P, Kershaw KM, Lay AR, Ostertag-Hill CA, Sherman MH, Downes M, Liddle C, Evans RM, Dawson DW. Calcipotriol Targets LRP6 to Inhibit Wnt Signaling in Pancreatic Cancer.. Molecular cancer research : MCR, 2015.
- Toste PA, Li L, Kadera BE, Nguyen AH, Tran LM, Wu N, Madnick DL, Patel SG, Dawson DW, Donahue TR. p85α is a microRNA target and affects chemosensitivity in pancreatic cancer.. The Journal of surgical research, 2015.
- Kadera BE, Toste PA, Wu N, Li L, Nguyen AH, Dawson DW, Donahue TR. Low expression of the E3 ubiquitin ligase CBL confers chemoresistance in human pancreatic cancer and is targeted by epidermal growth factor receptor inhibition.. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, 2014.
- Arensman MD, Telesca D, Lay AR, Kershaw KM, Wu N, Donahue TR, Dawson DW. The CREB-binding protein inhibitor ICG-001 suppresses pancreatic cancer growth.. Molecular cancer therapeutics, 2014.
- Kadera BE, Sunjaya DB, Isacoff WH, Li L, Hines OJ, Tomlinson JS, Dawson DW, Rochefort MM, Donald GW, Clerkin BM, Reber HA, Donahue TR. Locally advanced pancreatic cancer: association between prolonged preoperative treatment and lymph-node negativity and overall survival.. JAMA surgery, 2014.
- Toste PA, Kadera BE, Tatishchev SF, Dawson DW, Clerkin BM, Muthusamy R, Watson R, Tomlinson JS, Hines OJ, Reber HA, Donahue TR. Nonfunctional pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors <2 cm on preoperative imaging are associated with a low incidence of nodal metastasis and an excellent overall survival.. Journal of gastrointestinal surgery : official journal of the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, 2013.
- Butler AE, Campbell-Thompson M, Gurlo T, Dawson DW, Atkinson M, Butler PC. Response to comments on: Butler et al. Marked expansion of exocrine and endocrine pancreas with incretin therapy in humans with increased exocrine pancreas dysplasia and the potential for glucagon-producing neuroendocrine tumors. Diabetes 2013;62:2595-2604.. Diabetes, 2013.
- Kadera BE, Li L, Toste PA, Wu N, Adams C, Dawson DW, Donahue TR. MicroRNA-21 in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma tumor-associated fibroblasts promotes metastasis.. PloS one, 2013.
- Dawson DW, Hertzer K, Moro A, Donald G, Chang HH, Go VL, Pandol SJ, Lugea A, Gukovskaya AS, Li G, Hines OJ, Rozengurt E, Eibl G. High-fat, high-calorie diet promotes early pancreatic neoplasia in the conditional KrasG12D mouse model.. Cancer prevention research (Philadelphia, Pa.), 2013.
- Butler AE, Campbell-Thompson M, Gurlo T, Dawson DW, Atkinson M, Butler PC. Marked expansion of exocrine and endocrine pancreas with incretin therapy in humans with increased exocrine pancreas dysplasia and the potential for glucagon-producing neuroendocrine tumors.. Diabetes, 2013.
- Nguyen Kovochich A, Arensman M, Lay AR, Rao NP, Donahue T, Li X, French SW, Dawson DW. HOXB7 promotes invasion and predicts survival in pancreatic adenocarcinoma.. Cancer, 2012.
- Donahue TR, Tran LM, Hill R, Li Y, Kovochich A, Calvopina JH, Patel SG, Wu N, Hindoyan A, Farrell JJ, Li X, Dawson DW, Wu H. Integrative survival-based molecular profiling of human pancreatic cancer.. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, 2012.
- White BD, Chien AJ, Dawson DW. Dysregulation of Wnt/β-catenin signaling in gastrointestinal cancers.. Gastroenterology, 2011.
- Donahue TR, Dawson DW. Nodal/Activin signaling: a novel target for pancreatic cancer stem cell therapy.. Cell stem cell, 2011.
- Takahashi H, Li A, Dawson DW, Hines OJ, Reber HA, Eibl G. Cyclooxygenase-2 confers growth advantage to syngeneic pancreatic cancer cells.. Pancreas, 2011.
- Li A, King J, Moro A, Sugi MD, Dawson DW, Kaplan J, Li G, Lu X, Strieter RM, Burdick M, Go VL, Reber HA, Eibl G, Hines OJ. Overexpression of CXCL5 is associated with poor survival in patients with pancreatic cancer.. The American journal of pathology, 2011.
- Angst E, Dawson DW, Stroka D, Gloor B, Park J, Candinas D, Reber HA, Hines OJ, Eibl G. N-myc downstream regulated gene-1 expression correlates with reduced pancreatic cancer growth and increased apoptosis in vitro and in vivo.. Surgery, 2011.
- Hill R, Calvopina JH, Kim C, Wang Y, Dawson DW, Donahue TR, Dry S, Wu H. PTEN loss accelerates KrasG12D-induced pancreatic cancer development.. Cancer research, 2010.
- Angst E, Dawson DW, Nguyen A, Park J, Go VL, Reber HA, Hines OJ, Eibl G. Epigenetic regulation affects N-myc downstream-regulated gene 1 expression indirectly in pancreatic cancer cells.. Pancreas, 2010.
- Zhang L, Angst E, Park JL, Moro A, Dawson DW, Reber HA, Eibl G, Hines OJ, Go VL, Lu QY. Quercetin aglycone is bioavailable in murine pancreas and pancreatic xenografts.. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry, 2010.
- Pham H, Chen M, Li A, King J, Angst E, Dawson DW, Park J, Reber HA, Hines OJ, Eibl G. Loss of 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase increases prostaglandin E2 in pancreatic tumors.. Pancreas, 2010.
- Manuyakorn A, Paulus R, Farrell J, Dawson NA, Tze S, Cheung-Lau G, Hines OJ, Reber H, Seligson DB, Horvath S, Kurdistani SK, Guha C, Dawson DW. Cellular histone modification patterns predict prognosis and treatment response in resectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma: results from RTOG 9704.. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, 2010.
- Balatoni CE, Dawson DW, Suh J, Sherman MH, Sanders G, Hong JS, Frank MJ, Malone CS, Said JW, Teitell MA. Epigenetic silencing of Stk39 in B-cell lymphoma inhibits apoptosis from genotoxic stress.. The American journal of pathology, 2009.
- Frank MJ, Dawson DW, Bensinger SJ, Hong JS, Knosp WM, Xu L, Balatoni CE, Allen EL, Shen RR, Bar-Sagi D, Martin GR, Teitell MA. Expression of sprouty2 inhibits B-cell proliferation and is epigenetically silenced in mouse and human B-cell lymphomas.. Blood, 2009.
- Hasan S, Satake M, Dawson DW, Funahashi H, Angst E, Go VL, Reber HA, Hines OJ, Eibl G. Expression analysis of the prostaglandin E2 production pathway in human pancreatic cancers.. Pancreas, 2008.
- Tang RS, Weinberg B, Dawson DW, Reber H, Hines OJ, Tomlinson JS, Chaudhari V, Raman S, Farrell JJ. Evaluation of the guidelines for management of pancreatic branch-duct intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm.. Clinical gastroenterology and hepatology : the official clinical practice journal of the American Gastroenterological Association, 2008.
- Chen HW, Rainey RN, Balatoni CE, Dawson DW, Troke JJ, Wasiak S, Hong JS, McBride HM, Koehler CM, Teitell MA, French SW. Mammalian polynucleotide phosphorylase is an intermembrane space RNase that maintains mitochondrial homeostasis.. Molecular and cellular biology, 2006.
- French SW, Dawson DW, Chen HW, Rainey RN, Sievers SA, Balatoni CE, Wong L, Troke JJ, Nguyen MT, Koehler CM, Teitell MA. The TCL1 oncoprotein binds the RNase PH domains of the PNPase exoribonuclease without affecting its RNA degrading activity.. Cancer letters, 2006.
- Hoyer KK, Herling M, Bagrintseva K, Dawson DW, French SW, Renard M, Weinger JG, Jones D, Teitell MA. T cell leukemia-1 modulates TCR signal strength and IFN-gamma levels through phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and protein kinase C pathway activation.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950), 2005.
- Goodarzi MO, Dawson DW, Li X, Lei Z, Shintaku P, Rao CV, Van Herle AJ. Virilization in bilateral macronodular adrenal hyperplasia controlled by luteinizing hormone.. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism, 2003.
- French SW, Dawson DW, Miner MD, Doerr JR, Malone CS, Wall R, Teitell MA. DNA methylation profiling: a new tool for evaluating hematologic malignancies.. Clinical immunology (Orlando, Fla.), 2002.