Professor, Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, University of California Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90095 23-120 CHS
Campus - 173517
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Office Phone Number:
Member, Bioinformatics GPB Home Area, Brain Research Institute, Genetics & Genomics GPB Home Area, Molecular Pharmacology GPB Home Area, Neuroscience GPB Home Area
We are developing experimental tools to extract biological meaning from the flood of information being produced by the genome projects. One major effort is devoted toward creating comprehensive atlases of gene and protein expression in the mammalian brain. Other projects are aimed towards identifying behavioral genes in the mouse and dissecting gene regulatory networks.
Desmond Smith’s first degree was in Physics from Oxford University, England. He went on to obtain a PhD from Cambridge University in Molecular Biology and a medical degree from Oxford University. After postgraduate medical training in the UK, Dr Smith went to Harvard University to do a postdoctoral fellowship in Drosophila genetics and another postdoc at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in mouse genetics. Dr Smith is currently a Professor at the Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology at UCLA.
- Khan AH, Smith DJ. Cost-Effective Mapping of Genetic Interactions in Mammalian Cells.. Frontiers in genetics, 2021.
- Khan AH, Lin A, Wang RT, Bloom JS, Lange K, Smith DJ. Pooled analysis of radiation hybrids identifies loci for growth and drug action in mammalian cells.. Genome research, 2020.
- Hasin-Brumshtein Y, Khan AH, Hormozdiari F, Pan C, Parks BW, Petyuk VA, Piehowski PD, Brümmer A, Pellegrini M, Xiao X, Eskin E, Smith RD, Lusis AJ, Smith DJ. Hypothalamic transcriptomes of 99 mouse strains reveal trans eQTL hotspots, splicing QTLs and novel non-coding genes.. eLife, 2016.
- Lusis AJ, Seldin MM, Allayee H, Bennett BJ, Civelek M, Davis RC, Eskin E, Farber CR, Hui S, Mehrabian M, Norheim F, Pan C, Parks B, Rau CD, Smith DJ, Vallim T, Wang Y, Wang J. The Hybrid Mouse Diversity Panel: a resource for systems genetics analyses of metabolic and cardiovascular traits.. Journal of lipid research, 2016.
- Khan AH, Lin A, Smith DJ. Discovery and characterization of human exonic transcriptional regulatory elements.. PloS one, 2012.
- Ghazalpour A, Rau CD, Farber CR, Bennett BJ, Orozco LD, van Nas A, Pan C, Allayee H, Beaven SW, Civelek M, Davis RC, Drake TA, Friedman RA, Furlotte N, Hui ST, Jentsch JD, Kostem E, Kang HM, Kang EY, Joo JW, Korshunov VA, Laughlin RE, Martin LJ, Ohmen JD, Parks BW, Pellegrini M, Reue K, Smith DJ, Tetradis S, Wang J, Wang Y, Weiss JN, Kirchgessner T, Gargalovic PS, Eskin E, Lusis AJ, LeBoeuf RC. Hybrid mouse diversity panel: a panel of inbred mouse strains suitable for analysis of complex genetic traits.. Mammalian genome : official journal of the International Mammalian Genome Society, 2012.
- Wang RT, Ahn S, Park CC, Khan AH, Lange K, Smith DJ. Effects of genome-wide copy number variation on expression in mammalian cells.. BMC genomics, 2011.
- Ghazalpour A, Bennett B, Petyuk VA, Orozco L, Hagopian R, Mungrue IN, Farber CR, Sinsheimer J, Kang HM, Furlotte N, Park CC, Wen PZ, Brewer H, Weitz K, Camp DG, Pan C, Yordanova R, Neuhaus I, Tilford C, Siemers N, Gargalovic P, Eskin E, Kirchgessner T, Smith DJ, Smith RD, Lusis AJ. Comparative analysis of proteome and transcriptome variation in mouse.. PLoS genetics, 2011.
- Park CC, Gale GD, de Jong S, Ghazalpour A, Bennett BJ, Farber CR, Langfelder P, Lin A, Khan AH, Eskin E, Horvath S, Lusis AJ, Ophoff RA, Smith DJ. Gene networks associated with conditional fear in mice identified using a systems genetics approach.. BMC systems biology, 2011.
- Ranola JM, Ahn S, Sehl M, Smith DJ, Lange K. A Poisson model for random multigraphs.. Bioinformatics (Oxford, England), 2010.
- Lin A, Wang RT, Ahn S, Park CC, Smith DJ. A genome-wide map of human genetic interactions inferred from radiation hybrid genotypes.. Genome research, 2010.
- Bojanic DD, Tarr PT, Gale GD, Smith DJ, Bok D, Chen B, Nusinowitz S, Lövgren-Sandblom A, Björkhem I, Edwards PA. Differential expression and function of ABCG1 and ABCG4 during development and aging.. Journal of lipid research, 2010.
- Smith DJ. Mitochondrial dysfunction in mouse models of Parkinson's disease revealed by transcriptomics and proteomics.. Journal of bioenergetics and biomembranes, 2009.
- Park CC, Petyuk VA, Qian WJ, Smith RD, Smith DJ. Dual spatial maps of transcript and protein abundance in the mouse brain.. Expert review of proteomics, 2009.
- Farber CR, van Nas A, Ghazalpour A, Aten JE, Doss S, Sos B, Schadt EE, Ingram-Drake L, Davis RC, Horvath S, Smith DJ, Drake TA, Lusis AJ. An integrative genetics approach to identify candidate genes regulating BMD: combining linkage, gene expression, and association.. Journal of bone and mineral research : the official journal of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, 2009.
- Chen HP, Lin A, Bloom JS, Khan AH, Park CC, Smith DJ. Screening reveals conserved and nonconserved transcriptional regulatory elements including an E3/E4 allele-dependent APOE coding region enhancer.. Genomics, 2008.
- Ghazalpour A, Doss S, Kang H, Farber C, Wen PZ, Brozell A, Castellanos R, Eskin E, Smith DJ, Drake TA, Lusis AJ. High-resolution mapping of gene expression using association in an outbred mouse stock.. PLoS genetics, 2008.
- Park CC, Ahn S, Bloom JS, Lin A, Wang RT, Wu T, Sekar A, Khan AH, Farr CJ, Lusis AJ, Leahy RM, Lange K, Smith DJ. Fine mapping of regulatory loci for mammalian gene expression using radiation hybrids.. Nature genetics, 2008.
- Chin MH, Qian WJ, Wang H, Petyuk VA, Bloom JS, Sforza DM, Lacan G, Liu D, Khan AH, Cantor RM, Bigelow DJ, Melega WP, Camp DG, Smith RD, Smith DJ. Mitochondrial dysfunction, oxidative stress, and apoptosis revealed by proteomic and transcriptomic analyses of the striata in two mouse models of Parkinson's disease.. Journal of proteome research, 2008.
- Chin MH, Geng AB, Khan AH, Qian WJ, Petyuk VA, Boline J, Levy S, Toga AW, Smith RD, Leahy RM, Smith DJ. A genome-scale map of expression for a mouse brain section obtained using voxelation.. Physiological genomics, 2007.
- Ghiani CA, Beltran-Parrazal L, Sforza DM, Malvar JS, Seksenyan A, Cole R, Smith DJ, Charles A, Ferchmin PA, de Vellis J. Genetic program of neuronal differentiation and growth induced by specific activation of NMDA receptors.. Neurochemical research, 2006.
- Ghiani CA, Lelievre V, Beltran-Parrazal L, Sforza DM, Malvar J, Smith DJ, Charles AC, Ferchmin PA, de Vellis J. Gene expression is differentially regulated by neurotransmitters in embryonic neuronal cortical culture.. Journal of neurochemistry, 2006.
- Davis RC, Schadt EE, Smith DJ, Hsieh EW, Cervino AC, van Nas A, Rosales M, Doss S, Meng H, Allayee H, Lusis AJ. A genome-wide set of congenic mouse strains derived from DBA/2J on a C57BL/6J background.. Genomics, 2005.
- Sforza DM, Annese J, Liu D, Levy S, Toga AW, Smith DJ. Anatomical methods for voxelation of the mammalian brain.. Neurochemical research, 2004.
- Singh RP, Liu D, Chaudhari A, Cherry SR, Leahy RM, Smith DJ. Investigation of different transcript quantitation tools for high-throughput mapping of brain gene expression using voxelation.. Journal of molecular histology, 2004.
- Liu D, Singh RP, Khan AH, Lusis AJ, Davis RC, Smith DJ. Mapping behavioral traits by use of genome-tagged mice.. The American journal of geriatric psychiatry : official journal of the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry, 2004.
- Sforza DM, Smith DJ. Voxelation methods for genome scale imaging of brain gene expression.. Methods in enzymology, 2004.
- Liu D, Smith DJ. Voxelation and gene expression tomography for the acquisition of 3-D gene expression maps in the brain.. Methods (San Diego, Calif.), 2003.
- Liu D, Singh RP, Khan AH, Bhavsar K, Lusis AJ, Davis RC, Smith DJ. Identifying loci for behavioral traits using genome-tagged mice.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2003.
- Singh RP, Smith DJ. Genome scale mapping of brain gene expression.. Biological psychiatry, 2003.
- Singh RP, Brown VM, Chaudhari A, Khan AH, Ossadtchi A, Sforza DM, Meadors AK, Cherry SR, Leahy RM, Smith DJ. High-resolution voxelation mapping of human and rodent brain gene expression.. Journal of neuroscience methods, 2003.
- Smith DJ, Leil TA, Liu X. Neurotrophin-4 is required for tolerance to morphine in the mouse.. Neuroscience letters, 2003.
- Leil TA, Ossadtchi A, Nichols TE, Leahy RM, Smith DJ. Genes regulated by learning in the hippocampus.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2003.
- Khan AH, Ossadtchi A, Leahy RM, Smith DJ. Error-correcting microarray design.. Genomics, 2003.
- Smith DJ, Lusis AJ. The allelic structure of common disease.. Human molecular genetics, 2002.
- Brown VM, Ossadtchi A, Khan AH, Yee S, Lacan G, Melega WP, Cherry SR, Leahy RM, Smith DJ. Multiplex three-dimensional brain gene expression mapping in a mouse model of Parkinson's disease.. Genome research, 2002.
- Leil TA, Ossadtchi A, Cortes JS, Leahy RM, Smith DJ. Finding new candidate genes for learning and memory.. Journal of neuroscience research, 2002.
- Shai SY, Harpf AE, Babbitt CJ, Jordan MC, Fishbein MC, Chen J, Omura M, Leil TA, Becker KD, Jiang M, Smith DJ, Cherry SR, Loftus JC, Ross RS. Cardiac myocyte-specific excision of the beta1 integrin gene results in myocardial fibrosis and cardiac failure.. Circulation research, 2002.
- Brown VM, Ossadtchi A, Khan AH, Gambhir SS, Cherry SR, Leahy RM, Smith DJ. Gene expression tomography.. Physiological genomics, 2002.
- Brown VM, Ossadtchi A, Khan AH, Cherry SR, Leahy RM, Smith DJ. High-throughput imaging of brain gene expression.. Genome research, 2002.
- Smith DJ. 'I can't go on, I'll go on'. Drug discovery today, 2001.