Diane M. Papazian
Los Angeles, CA 90095 CHS
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Office Phone Number:
Member, Brain Research Institute, Cell & Developmental Biology GPB Home Area, Molecular, Cellular & Integrative Physiology GPB Home Area, Neuroscience GPB Home Area
Professor Papazian received her B.S. in Chemistry from the University of Michigan in 1977. She received her Ph.D. in Biological Chemistry from Harvard University in 1983. She was a postdoctoral fellow in Dr. Lily Jan’s laboratory at the University of California at San Francisco from 1983-1989. She joined the UCLA faculty in 1989 and now holds the rank of Professor in the Department of Physiology
A selected list of publications:
- Issa FA, Mazzochi C, Mock AF, and Papazian DM Spinocerebellar ataxia type 13 mutant potassium channel alters neuronal excitability and causes locomotor deficits in zebrafish, J. Neurosci, 2011; 31: 6831-6841.
- Issa FA, O?Brien G, Kettunen P, Sagasti A, Glanzman DL, and Papazian DM Neural circuit activity in freely-behaving zebrafish (Danio rerio), J. Exp. Biol, 2011; 214: 1028-1038.
- Mock AF, Richardson JL, Hsieh JY, Rinetti G, and Papazian DM Functional effects of spinocerebellar ataxia type 13 mutations are conserved in zebrafish Kv3.3, BMC Neurosci, 2010; 11: 99.
- Figueroa, K.P., Minassian, N.A., Stevanin G., Waters, M., Garibyan, V., Bürk, K., Brice, A., Dürr, A., Papazian, D.M., and Pulst, S.M. KCNC3: Phenotype, mutations, channel biophysics—a study of 260 familial ataxia patients. , Hum. Mutat, 2009; 31: 191-196.
- Lin MA, Abramson J, and Papazian DM Transfer of ion binding site from ether-à-go-go to Shaker: Mg2+ binds to resting state to modulate channel opening, J. Gen. Physiol, 2010; 135: 415-431.
- Lin, M.A. and Papazian, D.M. Differences between ion binding to eag and HERG voltage sensors contribute to differential regulation of activation and deactivation gating. , Channels , 2007; 1: 429-437.
- Waters MF, Minassian NA, Stevanin G, Figueroa KP, Bannister JPA, Nolte D, Mock AF, Evidente VG, Fee D, Muller U, Durr A, Brice A, Papazian DM, and Pulst DM Mutations in the voltage-gated potassium channel KCNC3 cause degenerative and developmental CNS phenotypes, Nat. Genet, 2006; 38: 447-451.
- Bannister JPA, Chanda B, Bezanilla F, and Papazian DM Optical detection of rate-determining, ion-modulated conformational changes of the ether-a-go-go K+ channel voltage sensor, Roc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 2005; 102: 18718-18723.
- Silverman, WR Bannister, JP Papazian, DM Binding site in eag voltage sensor accommodates a variety of ions and is accessible in closed channel Biophysical journal. , 2004; 87(5): 3110-21.
- Laine M, Lin MA, Bannister JPA, Silverman WR, Mock AF, Roux B, and Papazian DM Atomic proximity between S4 segment and pore domain in Shaker potassium channels, Neuron, 2003; 39: 467-481.