Adjunct Professor, Radiation Oncology, University of California Los Angeles
Member, Immunity, Microbes & Molecular Pathogenesis GPB Home Area, Physics & Biology in Medicine GPB Home Area
Dr. Schaue current research focuses on tumor-specific immune responses following radiation therapy and the idea that radiation can be an immune adjuvant. It is based on previous work on a mouse model showing that irradiation of dendritic cells can drive antigen-cross presentation. She was also able to show that some patients with colorectal and prostate cancer increase their level of circulating tumor-specific T cells when treated with radiotherapy. This can be accompanied by a simultaneous rise in T regulatory (suppressor) cells perhaps indicating why the immune systems fails to execute an active anti-tumor response despite the recognition of tumor. Radiation appears to be able to shape the immune balance because of differences in intrinsic radiation sensitivity of T cells subsets, and by causing tumor and normal tissue damage and the release of danger signals. The importance of T regulatory cells and the adenosinergic pathway in radiation tissue damage is also part of an ongoing research effort to differentially modulate tissue and tumor responses following radiation exposure.
Dr. Schaue received her Ph.D. at St Bartholomew’s and the Royal London School of Medicine, Queen Mary College, University of London, United Kingdom in 2004. She was trained in several premier radiation research institutions in the United Kingdom and Germany, including the Gray Lab in London and the Paterson Institute in Manchester. As a PhD student, she was given the opportunity to work on radiation responses in inflammatory cells and, as a result, she developed an interest in the immunological aspects of radiation treatment. The prospect of being able to build on this knowledge in the Department of Radiation Oncology attracted her to UCLA, where she worked as a postdoctoral fellow from 2004 until 2009 under the supervision of Dr. McBride. In 2009 she was designated assistant researcher biologist at the UCLA Department of Radiation Oncology.
- Lim JE, Sargur Madabushi S, Vishwasrao P, Song JY, Abdelhamid AMH, Ghimire H, Vanishree VL, Lamba JK, Dandapani S, Salhotra A, Lemecha M, Pierini A, Zhao D, Storme G, Holtan S, Aristei C, Schaue D, Al Malki M, Hui SK. Total marrow irradiation reduces organ damage and enhances tissue repair with the potential to increase the targeted dose of bone marrow in both young and old mice.. Frontiers in oncology, 2022.
- Kane N, Romero T, Diaz-Perez S, Rettig MB, Steinberg ML, Kishan AU, Schaue D, Reiter RE, Knudsen BS, Nickols NG. Significant changes in macrophage and CD8 T cell densities in primary prostate tumors 2 weeks after SBRT.. Prostate cancer and prostatic diseases, 2022.
- Nguyen C, Nguyen JPT, Modi AP, Ahmad I, Petrova SC, Ferrell SD, Wilhelm SR, Ye Y, Schaue D, Barsky SH. Use of constitutive and inducible oncogene-containing iPSCs as surrogates for transgenic mice to study breast oncogenesis.. Stem cell research & therapy, 2021.
- Parikh NR, Kishan AU, Kane N, Diaz-Perez S, Ganapathy E, Nazarian R, Felix C, Mathis C, Bradley M, Sachdeva A, Wyatt B, Basehart V, Zomorodian N, Lin L, King CR, Kupelian PA, Rettig MB, Steinberg ML, Cao M, Knudsen BS, Elashoff D, Schaue D, Reiter RE, Nickols NG. Phase 1 Trial of Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy Neoadjuvant to Radical Prostatectomy for Patients With High-Risk Prostate Cancer.. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics, 2020.
- Nesseler JP, Schaue D, McBride WH, Lee MH, Kaprealian T, Niclou SP, Nickers P. Irradiation to Improve the Response to Immunotherapeutic Agents in Glioblastomas.. Advances in radiation oncology, 2018.
- Nesseler JP, Schaue D, McBride WH, Nickers P. [Inflammatory and immune biomarkers of radiation response].. Cancer radiotherapie : journal de la Societe francaise de radiotherapie oncologique, 2018.
- Pellionisz PA, Lin Y, Mallen-St Clair J, Luo J, Suwarnasarn A, Schaue D, Elashoff DA, Palma-Diaz F, Dubinett SM, Sharma S, Wu B, St John MA. Use of a Novel Polymer in an Animal Model of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma.. Otolaryngology--head and neck surgery : official journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 2017.
- Shaverdian N, Wang J, Levin-Epstein R, Schaue D, Kupelian P, Lee P, Yang I, Kaprealian T. Pro-inflammatory State Portends Poor Outcomes with Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Brain Metastases.. Anticancer research, 2016.
- Brown RJ, Jun BJ, Cushman JD, Nguyen C, Beighley AH, Blanchard J, Iwamoto K, Schaue D, Harris NG, Jentsch JD, Bluml S, McBride WH. Changes in Imaging and Cognition in Juvenile Rats After Whole-Brain Irradiation.. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics, 2016.
- Shaverdian N, Veruttipong D, Wang J, Schaue D, Kupelian P, Lee P. Pretreatment Immune Parameters Predict for Overall Survival and Toxicity in Early-Stage Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer Patients Treated With Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy.. Clinical lung cancer, 2015.
- Lin Y, Luo J, Zhu WE, Srivastava M, Schaue D, Elashoff DA, Dubinett SM, Sharma S, Wu B, St John MA. A cytokine-delivering polymer is effective in reducing tumor burden in a head and neck squamous cell carcinoma murine model.. Otolaryngology--head and neck surgery : official journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 2014.
- Schaue D, Kachikwu EL, McBride WH. Cytokines in radiobiological responses: a review.. Radiation research, 2012.
- Hu D, Lau OD, Wang L, Wang G, Schaue D, Zhu L, Huang M, Lin Y, Dennis M, Abemayor E, Elashoff DA, Dubinett SM, McBride WH, Sharma S, Wu B, St John MA. A novel modular polymer platform for the treatment of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma in an animal model.. Archives of otolaryngology--head & neck surgery, 2012.
- Schaue D, Ratikan JA, Iwamoto KS, McBride WH. Maximizing tumor immunity with fractionated radiation.. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics, 2011.
- Baratelli F, Lee JM, Hazra S, Lin Y, Walser TC, Schaue D, Pak PS, Elashoff D, Reckamp K, Zhang L, Fishbein MC, Sharma S, Dubinett SM. PGE(2) contributes to TGF-beta induced T regulatory cell function in human non-small cell lung cancer.. American journal of translational research, 2010.
- Pan MH, Huang SC, Liao YP, Schaue D, Wang CC, Stout DB, Barrio JR, McBride WH. FLT-PET imaging of radiation responses in murine tumors.. Molecular imaging and biology, 2008.
- Liao YP, Schaue D, McBride WH. Modification of the tumor microenvironment to enhance immunity.. Frontiers in bioscience : a journal and virtual library, 2007.
- Schaue D, McBride WH. Counteracting tumor radioresistance by targeting DNA repair.. Molecular cancer therapeutics, 2005.
- Schaue D, Jahns J, Hildebrandt G, Trott KR. Radiation treatment of acute inflammation in mice.. International journal of radiation biology, 2005.
- Schaue D, Marples B, Trott KR. The effects of low-dose X-irradiation on the oxidative burst in stimulated macrophages.. International journal of radiation biology, 2002.