Gene D Block
Chan, Chancellor's Office, Chancellor'S Office, University of California Los Angeles
Professor, Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles
capmus mail code: 14501
10570 SUNSET BLVD
Los Angeles, CA 90077
2147 Murphy Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Member, Institutional Steering Committee, CTSI, Molecular, Cellular & Integrative Physiology GPB Home Area
As UCLA’s chief executive officer, Gene Block oversees all aspects of the campus’ three-part mission of education, research and service. A champion of public universities, Chancellor Block serves on several leading national associations and advisory boards, including as chairman of the board of the Association of Public Land-grant Universities, the nation’s oldest higher education association. He has called for UCLA to deepen its engagement with Los Angeles, a city that offers a microcosm of the global community, and to increase access for students from underrepresented populations. An advocate of interdisciplinary scholarship, he emphasizes broad-based, campus-wide planning. Chancellor Block holds UCLA faculty appointments in psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences in the David Geffen School of Medicine and in physiological science in the College of Letters and Science. A fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, he specializes in circadian biology, which deals with the functioning of 24-hour rhythms in higher organisms (See Academic Interests). Dr. Block became chancellor of UCLA on August 1, 2007. Previously, he served as vice president and provost of the University of Virginia, where he held the Alumni Council Thomas Jefferson Professorship in Biology and directed the National Science Foundation’s Science and Technology Center for Biological Timing. He also headed an NIH graduate training program aimed at increasing the number of scientists from underrepresented groups. Chancellor Block joined the faculty of the University of Virginia in 1978. He served as vice provost for research from 1993 to 1998 and then as vice president for research and public service until his appointment as vice president and provost in 2001. In 1998, he received the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Outstanding Public Service Award for his work with Virginia’s business community. A native of Monticello, New York, Chancellor Block holds a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Stanford University and a master’s and Ph.D. in psychology from the University of Oregon. He completed a postdoctoral fellowship at Stanford, studying with Colin Pittendrigh, the father of biological timing, and Donald Kennedy, who later served as president of Stanford. The inventor of a number of devices, Chancellor Block holds a patent for a non-contact respiratory monitor for the prevention of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, and he is an avid collector of vacuum-tube radios. Chancellor Block and his wife, Carol, have two children.
A selected list of publications:
- Kudo Takashi, Tahara Yu, Gamble Karen L, McMahon Douglas G, Block Gene D, Colwell Christopher S Vasoactive intestinal peptide produces long-lasting changes in neural activity in the suprachiasmatic nucleus Journal of neurophysiology, 2013; .
- Sellix Michael T, Evans Jennifer A, Leise Tanya L, Castanon-Cervantes Oscar, Hill DiJon D, DeLisser Patrick, Block Gene D, Menaker Michael, Davidson Alec J Aging differentially affects the re-entrainment response of central and peripheral circadian oscillators The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2012; 32(46): 16193-202.
- Nakamura Takahiro J, Nakamura Wataru, Yamazaki Shin, Kudo Takashi, Cutler Tamara, Colwell Christopher S, Block Gene D Age-related decline in circadian output The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2011; 31(28): 10201-5.
- Gale John E, Cox Heather I, Qian Jingyi, Block Gene D, Colwell Christopher S, Matveyenko Aleksey V Disruption of circadian rhythms accelerates development of diabetes through pancreatic beta-cell loss and dysfunction Journal of biological rhythms, 2011; 26(5): 423-33.
- Loh Dawn H, Dragich Joanna M, Kudo Takashi, Schroeder Analyne M, Nakamura Takahiro J, Waschek James A, Block Gene D, Colwell Christopher S Effects of vasoactive intestinal peptide genotype on circadian gene expression in the suprachiasmatic nucleus and peripheral organs Journal of biological rhythms, 2011; 26(3): 200-9.
- Lundkvist Gabriella B S, Sellix Michael T, NygÃ¥rd Mikael, Davis Erin, Straume Marty, Kristensson Krister, Block Gene D Clock gene expression during chronic inflammation induced by infection with Trypanosoma brucei brucei in rats Journal of biological rhythms, 2010; 25(2): 92-102.
- Nakamura Takahiro J, Sellix Michael T, Kudo Takashi, Nakao Nobuhiro, Yoshimura Takashi, Ebihara Shizufumi, Colwell Christopher S, Block Gene D Influence of the estrous cycle on clock gene expression in reproductive tissues: effects of fluctuating ovarian steroid hormone levels Steroids, 2010; 75(3): 203-12.
- Yamazaki Shin, Yoshikawa Tomoko, Biscoe Elizabeth W, Numano Rika, Gallaspy Lauren M, Soulsby Stacy, Papadimas Evagelia, Pezuk Pinar, Doyle Susan E, Tei Hajime, Sakaki Yoshiyuki, Block Gene D, Menaker Michael Ontogeny of circadian organization in the rat Journal of biological rhythms, 2009; 24(1): 55-63.
- Nakamura Takahiro J, Sellix Michael T, Menaker Michael, Block Gene D Estrogen directly modulates circadian rhythms of PER2 expression in the uterus American journal of physiology. Endocrinology and metabolism, 2008; 295(5): E1025-31.
- Nakamura Wataru, Yamazaki Shin, Nakamura Takahiro J, Shirakawa Tetsuo, Block Gene D, Takumi Toru In vivo monitoring of circadian timing in freely moving mice Current biology : CB, 2008; 18(5): 381-5.
- Kwak Yongho, Lundkvist Gabriella B, Brask Johan, Davidson Alec, Menaker Michael, Kristensson Krister, Block Gene D Interferon-gamma alters electrical activity and clock gene expression in suprachiasmatic nucleus neurons Journal of biological rhythms, 2008; 23(2): 150-9.
- Davidson Alec J, Yamazaki Shin, Arble Deanna M, Menaker Michael, Block Gene D Resetting of central and peripheral circadian oscillators in aged rats Neurobiology of aging, 2008; 29(3): 471-7.
- VanderLeest Henk Tjebbe, Houben Thijs, Michel Stephan, Deboer Tom, Albus Henk, Vansteensel Mariska J, Block Gene D, Meijer Johanna H Seasonal encoding by the circadian pacemaker of the SCN Current biology : CB, 2007; 17(5): 468-73.
- Davidson Alec J, Straume Martin, Block Gene D, Menaker Michael Daily timed meals dissociate circadian rhythms in hepatoma and healthy host liver International journal of cancer. Journal international du cancer, 2006; 118(7): 1623-7.
- Albus Henk, Vansteensel Mariska J, Michel Stephan, Block Gene D, Meijer Johanna H A GABAergic mechanism is necessary for coupling dissociable ventral and dorsal regional oscillators within the circadian clock Current biology : CB, 2005; 15(10): 886-93.
- Lundkvist Gabriella B, Kwak Yongho, Davis Erin K, Tei Hajime, Block Gene D A calcium flux is required for circadian rhythm generation in mammalian pacemaker neurons The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2005; 25(33): 7682-6.
- Nakamura Wataru, Yamazaki Shin, Takasu Nana N, Mishima Kazuo, Block Gene D Differential response of Period 1 expression within the suprachiasmatic nucleus The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2005; 25(23): 5481-7.
- Block Gene Keep time, stay healthy Science of aging knowledge environment : SAGE KE, 2005; 2005(19): pe13.
- Lundkvist Gabriella B, Block Gene D Role of neuronal membrane events in circadian rhythm generation Methods in enzymology, 2005; 393(19): 623-42.
- Aton Sara J, Block Gene D, Tei Hajime, Yamazaki Shin, Herzog Erik D Plasticity of circadian behavior and the suprachiasmatic nucleus following exposure to non-24-hour light cycles Journal of biological rhythms, 2004; 19(3): 198-207.
- Vansteensel Mariska J, Yamazaki Shin, Albus Henk, Deboer Tom, Block Gene D, Meijer Johanna H Dissociation between circadian Per1 and neuronal and behavioral rhythms following a shifted environmental cycle Current biology : CB, 2003; 13(17): 1538-42.
- Davidson Alec J, Aujard Fabienne, London Brian, Menaker Michael, Block Gene D Thermochron ibuttons: an inexpensive method for long-term recording of core body temperature in untethered animals Journal of biological rhythms, 2003; 18(5): 430-2.
- Constance Cara M, Green Carla B, Tei Hajime, Block Gene D Bulla gouldiana period exhibits unique regulation at the mRNA and protein levels Journal of biological rhythms, 2002; 17(5): 413-27.
- Abe Michikazu, Herzog Erik D, Yamazaki Shin, Straume Marty, Tei Hajime, Sakaki Yoshiyuki, Menaker Michael, Block Gene D Circadian rhythms in isolated brain regions The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2002; 22(1): 350-6.
- Yamazaki Shin, Straume Marty, Tei Hajime, Sakaki Yoshiyuki, Menaker Michael, Block Gene D Effects of aging on central and peripheral mammalian clocks Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2002; 99(16): 10801-6.
- Wilsbacher Lisa D, Yamazaki Shin, Herzog Erik D, Song Eun-Joo, Radcliffe Laurel A, Abe Michikazu, Block Gene, Spitznagel Edward, Menaker Michael, Takahashi Joseph S Photic and circadian expression of luciferase in mPeriod1-luc transgenic mice invivo Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2002; 99(1): 489-94.