James G Tidball
Professor, Integrative Biology And Physiology, University of California Los Angeles
Professor, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California Los Angeles
Terasaki Life Science Building
Molecular, Cellular & Integrative Physiology Program
Los Angeles, CA 90095 Dept of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Office Phone Number:
Member, Brain Research Institute
Much of the research in my lab concerns the cell biology of muscle disease. We are particularly interested in the pathophysiology of muscular dystrophy that is caused by null mutations of the gene that encodes the membrane associated protein called dystrophin. Loss of dystrophin from humans causes the lethal, progressive disease called Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD). Although loss of dystrophin is the primary cause of DMD, the resulting muscle pathology is difficult to interpret in the simple context of loss of a single structural protein. Instead, current evidence tells us that the secondary loss of other, dystrophin-associated proteins is important in causing many of the pathological features of the disease. One of these dystrophin-associated proteins, called nitric oxide synthase (NOS), produces the important regulatory molecule NO, and its loss can result in misregulation of many vital processes and thereby contribute to the pathology of muscular dystrophy. Much of our current work is directed toward understanding the functions of NO in muscle and the relationships between NO defects and muscular dystrophy. We have also learned through our recent studies that the immune system contributes importantly to promoting the pathology of muscular dystrophy. We have found that both lymphoid and myeloid cells increase the death of dystrophic muscle, which suggests that immune-based therapeutics may provide a new approach to treating muscular dystrophy. Our continuing work on this project is directed toward elucidating the mechanisms through which the immune system, especially myeloid cells, causes death of dystrophic muscle. In addition, we are exploring the possibility that other subpopulations of myeloid cells may also promote regeneration of injured tissue, and provide insights into new therapeutic strategies.
Interactions between skeletal muscle and the immune system. A major project in our lab concerns the pathophysiology of muscular dystrophy (dystrophinopathy). Our research has shown that the immune system plays an important role in influencing the severity of muscular dystrophy, and that immune-based interventions can significantly reduce dystrophic muscle pathology and promote muscle regeneration. Our continuing efforts are directed toward identifying the key effector cells and molecules involved in influencing the course of the disease, and examining the interplay between those effectors. Our technical approaches include the generation and analysis of transgenic, dystrophic mice so that the effects of increased or decreased expression of selected effector molecules can be assessed. We also examine the systemic effects of experimental depletions of selected immune cell populations and the efficacy of selected, pharmaceutical interventions on the progress of the disease. In other studies, we are studying the mechanisms through which the immune system influences the wasting of skeletal muscle that occurs during aging, a process called sarcopenia. We are particularly interested in identifying the mechanisms through which specific populations of myeloid cells affect muscle wasting and regeneration, and identifying strategies to slow the wasting process.
- McKee CM, Chapski DJ, Wehling-Henricks M, Rosa-Garrido M, Kuro-O M, Vondriska TM, Tidball JG. The anti-aging protein Klotho affects early postnatal myogenesis by downregulating Jmjd3 and the canonical Wnt pathway.. FASEB journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, 2022.
- Flores I, Welc SS, Wehling-Henricks M, Tidball JG. Myeloid cell-mediated targeting of LIF to dystrophic muscle causes transient increases in muscle fiber lesions by disrupting the recruitment and dispersion of macrophages in muscle.. Human molecular genetics, 2021.
- Fang J, Sia J, Soto J, Wang P, Li LK, Hsueh YY, Sun R, Faull KF, Tidball JG, Li S. Skeletal muscle regeneration via the chemical induction and expansion of myogenic stem cells in situ or in vitro.. Nature biomedical engineering, 2021.
- Tidball JG, Flores I, Welc SS, Wehling-Henricks M, Ochi E. Aging of the immune system and impaired muscle regeneration: A failure of immunomodulation of adult myogenesis.. Experimental gerontology, 2020.
- Welc SS, Wehling-Henricks M, Antoun J, Ha TT, Tous I, Tidball JG. Differential Effects of Myeloid Cell PPARδ and IL-10 in Regulating Macrophage Recruitment, Phenotype, and Regeneration following Acute Muscle Injury.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950), 2020.
- Hayashi Y, Asuzu DT, Bardsley MR, Gajdos GB, Kvasha SM, Linden DR, Nagy RA, Saravanaperumal SA, Syed SA, Toyomasu Y, Yan H, Chini EN, Gibbons SJ, Kellogg TA, Khazaie K, Kuro-O M, Machado Espindola Netto J, Singh MP, Tidball JG, Wehling-Henricks M, Farrugia G, Ordog T. Wnt-induced, TRP53-mediated Cell Cycle Arrest of Precursors Underlies Interstitial Cell of Cajal Depletion During Aging.. Cellular and molecular gastroenterology and hepatology, 2020.
- Welc SS, Wehling-Henricks M, Kuro-O M, Thomas KA, Tidball JG. Modulation of Klotho expression in injured muscle perturbs Wnt signalling and influences the rate of muscle growth.. Experimental physiology, 2019.
- Welc SS, Flores I, Wehling-Henricks M, Ramos J, Wang Y, Bertoni C, Tidball JG. Targeting a therapeutic LIF transgene to muscle via the immune system ameliorates muscular dystrophy.. Nature communications, 2019.
- Tidball JG, Welc SS, Wehling-Henricks M. Immunobiology of Inherited Muscular Dystrophies.. Comprehensive Physiology, 2018.
- Wang Y, Welc SS, Wehling-Henricks M, Tidball JG. Myeloid cell-derived tumor necrosis factor-alpha promotes sarcopenia and regulates muscle cell fusion with aging muscle fibers.. Aging cell, 2018.
- Wang Y, Wehling-Henricks M, Welc SS, Fisher AL, Zuo Q, Tidball JG. Aging of the immune system causes reductions in muscle stem cell populations, promotes their shift to a fibrogenic phenotype, and modulates sarcopenia.. FASEB journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, 2018.
- Wehling-Henricks M, Welc SS, Samengo G, Rinaldi C, Lindsey C, Wang Y, Lee J, Kuro-O M, Tidball JG. Macrophages escape Klotho gene silencing in the mdx mouse model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy and promote muscle growth and increase satellite cell numbers through a Klotho-mediated pathway.. Human molecular genetics, 2018.
- Tidball JG. Regulation of muscle growth and regeneration by the immune system.. Nature reviews. Immunology, 2017.
- Chadwick JA, Swager SA, Lowe J, Welc SS, Tidball JG, Gomez-Sanchez CE, Gomez-Sanchez EP, Rafael-Fortney JA. Myeloid cells are capable of synthesizing aldosterone to exacerbate damage in muscular dystrophy.. Human molecular genetics, 2016.
- Wehling-Henricks M, Li Z, Lindsey C, Wang Y, Welc SS, Ramos JN, Khanlou N, Kuro-O M, Tidball JG. Klotho gene silencing promotes pathology in the mdx mouse model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy.. Human molecular genetics, 2016.
- Tidball JG, Welc SS. Macrophage-Derived IGF-1 Is a Potent Coordinator of Myogenesis and Inflammation in Regenerating Muscle.. Molecular therapy : the journal of the American Society of Gene Therapy, 2015.
- Tidball JG, Wehling-Henricks M. Shifts in macrophage cytokine production drive muscle fibrosis.. Nature medicine, 2015.
- Wang Y, Wehling-Henricks M, Samengo G, Tidball JG. Increases of M2a macrophages and fibrosis in aging muscle are influenced by bone marrow aging and negatively regulated by muscle-derived nitric oxide.. Aging cell, 2015.
- Tidball JG, Bertoni C. Purloined mechanisms of bacterial immunity can cure muscular dystrophy.. Cell metabolism, 2014.
- Villalta SA, Rosenthal W, Martinez L, Kaur A, Sparwasser T, Tidball JG, Margeta M, Spencer MJ, Bluestone JA. Regulatory T cells suppress muscle inflammation and injury in muscular dystrophy.. Science translational medicine, 2014.
- Tidball JG, Wehling-Henricks M. Nitric oxide synthase deficiency and the pathophysiology of muscular dystrophy.. The Journal of physiology, 2014.
- Tidball JG, Dorshkind K, Wehling-Henricks M. Shared signaling systems in myeloid cell-mediated muscle regeneration.. Development (Cambridge, England), 2014.
- Samengo G, Avik A, Fedor B, Whittaker D, Myung KH, Wehling-Henricks M, Tidball JG. Age-related loss of nitric oxide synthase in skeletal muscle causes reductions in calpain S-nitrosylation that increase myofibril degradation and sarcopenia.. Aging cell, 2012.
- Deng B, Wehling-Henricks M, Villalta SA, Wang Y, Tidball JG. IL-10 triggers changes in macrophage phenotype that promote muscle growth and regeneration.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950), 2012.
- Foster WH, Tidball JG, Wang Y. p38γ activity is required for maintenance of slow skeletal muscle size.. Muscle & nerve, 2012.
- Villalta SA, Deng B, Rinaldi C, Wehling-Henricks M, Tidball JG. IFN-γ promotes muscle damage in the mdx mouse model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy by suppressing M2 macrophage activation and inhibiting muscle cell proliferation.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950), 2011.
- Wehling-Henricks M, Tidball JG. Neuronal nitric oxide synthase-rescue of dystrophin/utrophin double knockout mice does not require nNOS localization to the cell membrane.. PloS one, 2011.
- Tidball JG. Mechanisms of muscle injury, repair, and regeneration.. Comprehensive Physiology, 2011.
- Sakellariou GK, Pye D, Vasilaki A, Zibrik L, Palomero J, Kabayo T, McArdle F, Van Remmen H, Richardson A, Tidball JG, McArdle A, Jackson MJ. Role of superoxide-nitric oxide interactions in the accelerated age-related loss of muscle mass in mice lacking Cu,Zn superoxide dismutase.. Aging cell, 2011.
- Villalta SA, Rinaldi C, Deng B, Liu G, Fedor B, Tidball JG. Interleukin-10 reduces the pathology of mdx muscular dystrophy by deactivating M1 macrophages and modulating macrophage phenotype.. Human molecular genetics, 2010.
- Wehling-Henricks M, Jordan MC, Gotoh T, Grody WW, Roos KP, Tidball JG. Arginine metabolism by macrophages promotes cardiac and muscle fibrosis in mdx muscular dystrophy.. PloS one, 2010.
- Tidball JG, Villalta SA. Regulatory interactions between muscle and the immune system during muscle regeneration.. American journal of physiology. Regulatory, integrative and comparative physiology, 2010.
- Perez AL, Bachrach E, Illigens BM, Jun SJ, Bagden E, Steffen L, Flint A, McGowan FX, Del Nido P, Montecino-Rodriguez E, Tidball JG, Kunkel LM. CXCR4 enhances engraftment of muscle progenitor cells.. Muscle & nerve, 2009.
- Wehling-Henricks M, Oltmann M, Rinaldi C, Myung KH, Tidball JG. Loss of positive allosteric interactions between neuronal nitric oxide synthase and phosphofructokinase contributes to defects in glycolysis and increased fatigability in muscular dystrophy.. Human molecular genetics, 2009.
- Tidball JG, Villalta SA. NO may prompt calcium leakage in dystrophic muscle.. Nature medicine, 2009.
- Deng B, Glanzman D, Tidball JG. Nitric oxide generated by muscle corrects defects in hippocampal neurogenesis and neural differentiation caused by muscular dystrophy.. The Journal of physiology, 2009.
- Villalta SA, Nguyen HX, Deng B, Gotoh T, Tidball JG. Shifts in macrophage phenotypes and macrophage competition for arginine metabolism affect the severity of muscle pathology in muscular dystrophy.. Human molecular genetics, 2008.
- Wehling-Henricks M, Sokolow S, Lee JJ, Myung KH, Villalta SA, Tidball JG. Major basic protein-1 promotes fibrosis of dystrophic muscle and attenuates the cellular immune response in muscular dystrophy.. Human molecular genetics, 2008.
- Hao M, Akrami K, Wei K, De Diego C, Che N, Ku JH, Tidball J, Graves MC, Shieh PB, Chen F. Muscleblind-like 2 (Mbnl2) -deficient mice as a model for myotonic dystrophy.. Developmental dynamics : an official publication of the American Association of Anatomists, 2008.
- Pfister K, Radons J, Busch R, Tidball JG, Pfeifer M, Freitag L, Feldmann HJ, Milani V, Issels R, Multhoff G. Patient survival by Hsp70 membrane phenotype: association with different routes of metastasis.. Cancer, 2007.
- Acharyya S, Villalta SA, Bakkar N, Bupha-Intr T, Janssen PM, Carathers M, Li ZW, Beg AA, Ghosh S, Sahenk Z, Weinstein M, Gardner KL, Rafael-Fortney JA, Karin M, Tidball JG, Baldwin AS, Guttridge DC. Interplay of IKK/NF-kappaB signaling in macrophages and myofibers promotes muscle degeneration in Duchenne muscular dystrophy.. The Journal of clinical investigation, 2007.
- Tidball JG, Wehling-Henricks M. The role of free radicals in the pathophysiology of muscular dystrophy.. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), 2006.
- Tidball JG, Wehling-Henricks M. Macrophages promote muscle membrane repair and muscle fibre growth and regeneration during modified muscle loading in mice in vivo.. The Journal of physiology, 2006.
- Tidball JG, Wehling-Henricks M. Damage and inflammation in muscular dystrophy: potential implications and relationships with autoimmune myositis.. Current opinion in rheumatology, 2005.
- Wehling-Henricks M, Jordan MC, Roos KP, Deng B, Tidball JG. Cardiomyopathy in dystrophin-deficient hearts is prevented by expression of a neuronal nitric oxide synthase transgene in the myocardium.. Human molecular genetics, 2005.
- Tidball JG. Mechanical signal transduction in skeletal muscle growth and adaptation.. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), 2005.
- Nguyen HX, Lusis AJ, Tidball JG. Null mutation of myeloperoxidase in mice prevents mechanical activation of neutrophil lysis of muscle cell membranes in vitro and in vivo.. The Journal of physiology, 2005.
- Tidball JG. Inflammatory processes in muscle injury and repair.. American journal of physiology. Regulatory, integrative and comparative physiology, 2005.
- Tidball JG, Wehling-Henricks M. Evolving therapeutic strategies for Duchenne muscular dystrophy: targeting downstream events.. Pediatric research, 2004.
- Wehling-Henricks M, Lee JJ, Tidball JG. Prednisolone decreases cellular adhesion molecules required for inflammatory cell infiltration in dystrophin-deficient skeletal muscle.. Neuromuscular disorders : NMD, 2004.
- Tidball JG, Wehling-Henricks M. Expression of a NOS transgene in dystrophin-deficient muscle reduces muscle membrane damage without increasing the expression of membrane-associated cytoskeletal proteins.. Molecular genetics and metabolism, 2004.
- Shiao T, Fond A, Deng B, Wehling-Henricks M, Adams ME, Froehner SC, Tidball JG. Defects in neuromuscular junction structure in dystrophic muscle are corrected by expression of a NOS transgene in dystrophin-deficient muscles, but not in muscles lacking alpha- and beta1-syntrophins.. Human molecular genetics, 2004.
- Kramerova I, Kudryashova E, Tidball JG, Spencer MJ. Null mutation of calpain 3 (p94) in mice causes abnormal sarcomere formation in vivo and in vitro.. Human molecular genetics, 2004.
- Nguyen HX, Tidball JG. Null mutation of gp91phox reduces muscle membrane lysis during muscle inflammation in mice.. The Journal of physiology, 2003.
- Tidball JG, Spencer MJ. Skipping to new gene therapies for muscular dystrophy.. Nature medicine, 2003.
- Nguyen HX, Tidball JG. Expression of a muscle-specific, nitric oxide synthase transgene prevents muscle membrane injury and reduces muscle inflammation during modified muscle use in mice.. The Journal of physiology, 2003.
- Cheung EV, Tidball JG. Administration of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug ibuprofen increases macrophage concentrations but reduces necrosis during modified muscle use.. Inflammation research : official journal of the European Histamine Research Society ... [et al.], 2003.
- Kyckelhahn BA, Nason PB, Tidball JG, Boriek AM. Kinematic modeling of single muscle fiber during diaphragm shortening.. Journal of biomechanics, 2003.
- Nguyen HX, Tidball JG. Interactions between neutrophils and macrophages promote macrophage killing of rat muscle cells in vitro.. The Journal of physiology, 2002.
- Tidball JG, Spencer MJ. Expression of a calpastatin transgene slows muscle wasting and obviates changes in myosin isoform expression during murine muscle disuse.. The Journal of physiology, 2002.
- Tidball JG. Interactions between muscle and the immune system during modified musculoskeletal loading.. Clinical orthopaedics and related research, 2002.
- Wehling M, Spencer MJ, Tidball JG. A nitric oxide synthase transgene ameliorates muscular dystrophy in mdx mice.. The Journal of cell biology, 2001.
- Spencer MJ, Tidball JG. Do immune cells promote the pathology of dystrophin-deficient myopathies?. Neuromuscular disorders : NMD, 2001.
- Spencer MJ, Montecino-Rodriguez E, Dorshkind K, Tidball JG. Helper (CD4(+)) and cytotoxic (CD8(+)) T cells promote the pathology of dystrophin-deficient muscle.. Clinical immunology (Orlando, Fla.), 2001.
- Boriek AM, Capetanaki Y, Hwang W, Officer T, Badshah M, Rodarte J, Tidball JG. Desmin integrates the three-dimensional mechanical properties of muscles.. American journal of physiology. Cell physiology, 2001.
- Koh TJ, Tidball JG. Nitric oxide inhibits calpain-mediated proteolysis of talin in skeletal muscle cells.. American journal of physiology. Cell physiology, 2000.
- Frenette J, Cai B, Tidball JG. Complement activation promotes muscle inflammation during modified muscle use.. The American journal of pathology, 2000.
- Zhu X, Hadhazy M, Wehling M, Tidball JG, McNally EM. Dominant negative myostatin produces hypertrophy without hyperplasia in muscle.. FEBS letters, 2000.
- Cai B, Spencer MJ, Nakamura G, Tseng-Ong L, Tidball JG. Eosinophilia of dystrophin-deficient muscle is promoted by perforin-mediated cytotoxicity by T cell effectors.. The American journal of pathology, 2000.
- Tidball JG, Spencer MJ. Calpains and muscular dystrophies.. The international journal of biochemistry & cell biology, 2000.
- Wehling M, Cai B, Tidball JG. Modulation of myostatin expression during modified muscle use.. FASEB journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, 2000.
- Tidball JG, Spencer MJ, Wehling M, Lavergne E. Nitric-oxide synthase is a mechanical signal transducer that modulates talin and vinculin expression.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 1999.
- Koh TJ, Tidball JG. Nitric oxide synthase inhibitors reduce sarcomere addition in rat skeletal muscle.. The Journal of physiology, 1999.
- Tidball JG, Berchenko E, Frenette J. Macrophage invasion does not contribute to muscle membrane injury during inflammation.. Journal of leukocyte biology, 1999.
- Pizza FX, Hernandez IJ, Tidball JG. Nitric oxide synthase inhibition reduces muscle inflammation and necrosis in modified muscle use.. Journal of leukocyte biology, 1998.
- Frenette J, Tidball JG. Mechanical loading regulates expression of talin and its mRNA, which are concentrated at myotendinous junctions.. The American journal of physiology, 1998.
- Tidball JG, Lavergne E, Lau KS, Spencer MJ, Stull JT, Wehling M. Mechanical loading regulates NOS expression and activity in developing and adult skeletal muscle.. The American journal of physiology, 1998.
- Wehling M, Stull JT, McCabe TJ, Tidball JG. Sparing of mdx extraocular muscles from dystrophic pathology is not attributable to normalized concentration or distribution of neuronal nitric oxide synthase.. Neuromuscular disorders : NMD, 1998.
- Spencer MJ, Walsh CM, Dorshkind KA, Rodriguez EM, Tidball JG. Myonuclear apoptosis in dystrophic mdx muscle occurs by perforin-mediated cytotoxicity.. The Journal of clinical investigation, 1997.
- Spencer MJ, Tidball JG, Anderson LV, Bushby KM, Harris JB, Passos-Bueno MR, Somer H, Vainzof M, Zatz M. Absence of calpain 3 in a form of limb-girdle muscular dystrophy (LGMD2A).. Journal of the neurological sciences, 1997.
- Albrecht DE, Tidball JG. Platelet-derived growth factor-stimulated secretion of basement membrane proteins by skeletal muscle occurs by tyrosine kinase-dependent and -independent pathways.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 1997.
- Spencer MJ, Lu B, Tidball JG. Calpain II expression is increased by changes in mechanical loading of muscle in vivo.. Journal of cellular biochemistry, 1997.
- Chang WJ, Iannaccone ST, Lau KS, Masters BS, McCabe TJ, McMillan K, Padre RC, Spencer MJ, Tidball JG, Stull JT. Neuronal nitric oxide synthase and dystrophin-deficient muscular dystrophy.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 1996.
- Spencer MJ, Tidball JG. Calpain translocation during muscle fiber necrosis and regeneration in dystrophin-deficient mice.. Experimental cell research, 1996.
- Tidball JG, St Pierre BA. Apoptosis of macrophages during the resulution of muscle inflammation.. Journal of leukocyte biology, 1996.
- Tidball JG. Inflammatory cell response to acute muscle injury.. Medicine and science in sports and exercise, 1995.
- Tidball JG, Albrecht DE, Lokensgard BE, Spencer MJ. Apoptosis precedes necrosis of dystrophin-deficient muscle.. Journal of cell science, 1995.
- Spencer MJ, Croall DE, Tidball JG. Calpains are activated in necrotic fibers from mdx dystrophic mice.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 1995.
- Law DJ, Caputo A, Tidball JG. Site and mechanics of failure in normal and dystrophin-deficient skeletal muscle.. Muscle & nerve, 1995.
- Murray EJ, Tram KK, Spencer MJ, Tidball JG, Murray SS, Lee DB. PTH-mediated osteoblast retraction: possible participation of the calpain pathway.. Mineral and electrolyte metabolism, 1995.
- St Pierre BA, Tidball JG. Macrophage activation and muscle remodeling at myotendinous junctions after modifications in muscle loading.. The American journal of pathology, 1994.
- Ridge JC, Tidball JG, Ahl K, Law DJ, Rickoll WL. Modifications in myotendinous junction surface morphology in dystrophin-deficient mouse muscle.. Experimental and molecular pathology, 1994.
- St Pierre BA, Tidball JG. Differential response of macrophage subpopulations to soleus muscle reloading after rat hindlimb suspension.. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), 1994.
- Tidball JG. Assembly of myotendinous junctions in the chick embryo: deposition of P68 is an early event in myotendinous junction formation.. Developmental biology, 1994.
- Law DJ, Allen DL, Tidball JG. Talin, vinculin and DRP (utrophin) concentrations are increased at mdx myotendinous junctions following onset of necrosis.. Journal of cell science, 1994.
- Tidball JG, Spencer MJ. PDGF stimulation induces phosphorylation of talin and cytoskeletal reorganization in skeletal muscle.. The Journal of cell biology, 1993.
- Law DJ, Tidball JG. Dystrophin deficiency is associated with myotendinous junction defects in prenecrotic and fully regenerated skeletal muscle.. The American journal of pathology, 1993.
- Tram KK, Spencer MJ, Murray SS, Lee DB, Tidball JG, Murray EJ. Identification of calcium-activated neutral protease activity and regulation by parathyroid hormone in mouse osteoblastic cells.. Biochemistry and molecular biology international, 1993.
- Tidball JG, Salem G, Zernicke R. Site and mechanical conditions for failure of skeletal muscle in experimental strain injuries.. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), 1993.
- Tidball JG, Andolina KL. Structure and protein composition of sites of papillary muscle attachment to chordae tendineae in avian hearts.. Cell and tissue research, 1992.
- Spencer MJ, Tidball JG. Calpain concentration is elevated although net calcium-dependent proteolysis is suppressed in dystrophin-deficient muscle.. Experimental cell research, 1992.
- Tidball JG, Spencer MJ, St Pierre BA. PDGF-receptor concentration is elevated in regenerative muscle fibers in dystrophin-deficient muscle.. Experimental cell research, 1992.
- Tidball JG. Identification and distribution of a novel, collagen-binding protein in the developing subepicardium and endomysium.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 1992.
- Law DJ, Tidball JG. Identification of a putative collagen-binding protein from chicken skeletal muscle as glycogen phosphorylase.. Biochimica et biophysica acta, 1992.
- Tidball JG, Quan DM. Reduction in myotendinous junction surface area of rats subjected to 4-day spaceflight.. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), 1992.
- Tidball JG. Desmin at myotendinous junctions.. Experimental cell research, 1992.
- Tidball JG, Latus L, Weckerle J. Developmental modulation of embryonic cardiac myocyte adhesion to cardiac collagens in vitro.. Experimental cell research, 1992.
- Tidball JG. Distribution of collagens and fibronectin in the subepicardium during avian cardiac development.. Anatomy and embryology, 1992.
- Tidball JG, Quan DM. Modifications in myotendinous junction structure following denervation.. Acta neuropathologica, 1992.
- Tidball JG, Cederdahl JE, Bers DM. Quantitative analysis of regional variability in the distribution of transverse tubules in rabbit myocardium.. Cell and tissue research, 1991.
- Tidball JG, Law DJ. Dystrophin is required for normal thin filament-membrane associations at myotendinous junctions.. The American journal of pathology, 1991.
- Tidball JG. Force transmission across muscle cell membranes.. Journal of biomechanics, 1991.
- Tidball JG. Myotendinous junction injury in relation to junction structure and molecular composition.. Exercise and sport sciences reviews, 1991.
- Tidball JG. Myonexin: an 80-kDa glycoprotein that binds fibronectin and is located at embryonic myotendinous junctions.. Developmental biology, 1990.
- Tidball JG, Chan M. Adhesive strength of single muscle cells to basement membrane at myotendinous junctions.. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), 1989.
- Tidball JG, Lin C. Structural changes at the myogenic cell surface during the formation of myotendinous junctions.. Cell and tissue research, 1989.
- Tidball JG, Gadus MV. Cytochemical, histological, and phylogenetic distribution of a 38,000-dalton protein associated with transverse tubules.. Journal of cellular biochemistry, 1988.
- Tidball JG, Smith R, Shattock MJ, Bers DM. Differences in action potential configuration in ventricular trabeculae correlate with differences in density of transverse tubule-sarcoplasmic reticulum couplings.. Journal of molecular and cellular cardiology, 1988.
- Tidball JG. Identification of an 80 kDa glycoprotein located at sites of close apposition between skeletal muscle cells.. European journal of cell biology, 1988.
- Shattock MJ, Warner KC, Tidball JG, Bers DM. Two different electrophysiological responses to ryanodine: evidence for two populations of muscles isolated from the rabbit right ventricle.. Journal of molecular and cellular cardiology, 1987.
- Tidball JG. Alpha-actinin is absent from the terminal segments of myofibrils and from subsarcolemmal densities in frog skeletal muscle.. Experimental cell research, 1987.
- Tidball JG. Energy stored and dissipated in skeletal muscle basement membranes during sinusoidal oscillations.. Biophysical journal, 1986.
- Tidball JG, O'Halloran T, Burridge K. Talin at myotendinous junctions.. The Journal of cell biology, 1986.
- Tidball JG, Daniel TL. Elastic energy storage in rigored skeletal muscle cells under physiological loading conditions.. The American journal of physiology, 1986.
- Tidball JG, Daniel TL. Myotendinous junctions of tonic muscle cells: structure and loading.. Cell and tissue research, 1986.
- Tidball JG. Myotendinous junction: morphological changes and mechanical failure associated with muscle cell atrophy.. Experimental and molecular pathology, 1984.
- Tidball JG. An ultrastructural and cytochemical analysis of the cellular basis for tyrosine-derived collagen crosslinks in Leptogorgia virgulata (Cnidaria: Gorgonacea).. Cell and tissue research, 1982.
- Tidball JG. Find structural aspects of anthozoan desmocyte development (phylum Cnidaria).. Tissue & cell, 1982.
- Ball AK, Tidball JG, Dickson DH. An alternative to the flat substrate method of preparing electron microscope autoradiographs.. Stain technology, 1981.
- Tidball JG. Lipoprotein secretion during the formation of the axial skeleton in Leptogorgia virgulata (Cnidaria: Gorgonacea).. Cell and tissue research, 1981.