BOX 951769, A-153 RNRC
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Jeff Bronstein received his bachelor’s degree from the University of California, Berkeley and M.D. and Ph.D. from UCLA as a recipient of the Medical Scientist Training Program Award. He completed a residency in Neurology and fellowship training in Movement Disorders at UCLA. Dr. Bronstein also completed a postdoctoral fellowship in molecular biology before being appointed an Assistant Professor of Neurology. He was later appointed Director of the Movement Disorders Program at UCLA. His interests and expertise include the management of Parkinson’s disease (PD) and other movement disorders, surgical treatment of PD, and developing new therapies for patients. Dr. Bronstein was recently awarded one of 6 National Parkinson’s Disease Centers at the Veterans Administration Medical Center with the goal of furthering research, education and clinical care in the Southwest US. His laboratory studies the cause of PD using cell models and a newly developed zebrafish model. His work supported by the NIH and private foundations. Dr. Bronstein also directs clinical trials in order to develop new therapies for PD that include transplantation and deep brain stimulation. He has received several awards and is widely published in the field.
A selected list of publications:
- Bronstein Jeff M, Paul Kimberly, Yang Laurice, Haas Richard H, Shults Clifford W, Le Thuy, Ritz Beate Platelet mitochondrial activity and pesticide exposure in early Parkinson’s disease Movement disorders : official journal of the Movement Disorder Society, 2015; 30(6): 862-6.
- Bronstein Jeff M, Tagliati Michele, McIntyre Cameron, Chen Robert, Cheung Tyler, Hargreaves Eric L, Israel Zvi, Moffitt Michael, Montgomery Erwin B, Stypulkowski Paul, Shils Jay, Denison Timothy, Vitek Jerrold, Volkman Jens, Wertheimer Jeffrey, Okun Michael S The rationale driving the evolution of deep brain stimulation to constant-current devices Neuromodulation : journal of the International Neuromodulation Society, 2015; 18(2): 85-8; discussion 88-9.
- Burke William J, Bronstein Jeff M, Fitzmaurice Arthur Aldehyde dehydrogenase variation enhances effect of pesticides associated with Parkinson disease Neurology, 2014; 83(20): 1879-80.
- Bronstein Jeff M, Fitzmaurice Arthur Author response Neurology, 2014; 83(20): 1879-80.
- O’Donnell Kelley C, Lulla Aaron, Stahl Mark C, Wheat Nickolas D, Bronstein Jeff M, Sagasti Alvaro Axon degeneration and PGC-1Î±-mediated protection in a zebrafish model of Î±-synuclein toxicity Disease models & mechanisms, 2014; 7(5): 571-82.
- Koppel Barbara S, Brust John C M, Fife Terry, Bronstein Jeff, Youssof Sarah, Gronseth Gary, Gloss David Systematic review: efficacy and safety of medical marijuana in selected neurologic disorders: report of the Guideline Development Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology Neurology, 2014; 82(17): 1556-63.
- Wang Anthony, Cockburn Myles, Ly Thomas T, Bronstein Jeff M, Ritz Beate The association between ambient exposure to organophosphates and Parkinson’s disease risk Occupational and environmental medicine, 2014; 71(4): 275-81.
- Fitzmaurice Arthur G, Rhodes Shannon L, Cockburn Myles, Ritz Beate, Bronstein Jeff M Aldehyde dehydrogenase variation enhances effect of pesticides associated with Parkinson disease Neurology, 2014; 82(5): 419-26.
- Liew Zeyan, Wang Anthony, Bronstein Jeff, Ritz Beate Job exposure matrix (JEM)-derived estimates of lifetime occupational pesticide exposure and the risk of Parkinson’s disease Archives of environmental & occupational health, 2014; 69(4): 241-51.
- Barnhill Lisa M, Bronstein Jeff M Pesticides and Parkinson’s disease: is it in your genes? Neurodegenerative disease management, 2014; 4(3): 197-200.
- Rhodes Shannon L, Buchanan Daniel D, Ahmed IsmaÃ¯l, Taylor Kent D, Loriot Marie-Anne, Sinsheimer Janet S, Bronstein Jeff M, Elbaz Alexis, Mellick George D, Rotter Jerome I, Ritz Beate Pooled analysis of iron-related genes in Parkinson’s disease: association with transferrin Neurobiology of disease, 2014; 62(5): 172-8.
- Narayan Shilpa, Liew Zeyan, Paul Kimberly, Lee Pei-Chen, Sinsheimer Janet S, Bronstein Jeff M, Ritz Beate Household organophosphorus pesticide use and Parkinson’s disease International journal of epidemiology, 2013; 42(5): 1476-85.
- Rhodes Shannon L, Fitzmaurice Arthur G, Cockburn Myles, Bronstein Jeff M, Sinsheimer Janet S, Ritz Beate Pesticides that inhibit the ubiquitin-proteasome system: Effect measure modification by genetic variation in SKP1 in Parkinson×³s disease Environmental research, 2013; .
- Lee Pei-Chen, Rhodes Shannon L, Sinsheimer Janet S, Bronstein Jeff, Ritz Beate Functional paraoxonase 1 variants modify the risk of Parkinson’s disease due to organophosphate exposure Environment international, 2013; 56: 42-7.
- Fitzmaurice Arthur G, Rhodes Shannon L, Lulla Aaron, Murphy Niall P, Lam Hoa A, O’Donnell Kelley C, Barnhill Lisa, Casida John E, Cockburn Myles, Sagasti Alvaro, Stahl Mark C, Maidment Nigel T, Ritz Beate, Bronstein Jeff M Aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibition as a pathogenic mechanism in Parkinson disease Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2013; 110(2): 636-41.
- Lee Pei-Chen, Bordelon Yvette, Bronstein Jeff, Ritz Beate Traumatic brain injury, paraquat exposure, and their relationship to Parkinson disease Neurology, 2012; 79(20): 2061-6.
- Pouratian Nader, Thakkar Sandeep, Kim Won, Bronstein Jeff M Deep brain stimulation for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease: efficacy and safety Degenerative neurological and neuromuscular disease, 2012; 2012(2): .
- Weaver Frances M, Follett Kenneth A, Stern Matthew, Luo Ping, Harris Crystal L, Hur Kwan, Marks William J, Rothlind Johannes, Sagher Oren, Moy Claudia, Pahwa Rajesh, Burchiel Kim, Hogarth Penelope, Lai Eugene C, Duda John E, Holloway Kathryn, Samii Ali, Horn Stacy, Bronstein Jeff M, Stoner Gatana, Starr Philip A, Simpson Richard, Baltuch Gordon, De Salles Antonio, Huang Grant D, Reda Domenic J, Reda Domenic J Randomized trial of deep brain stimulation for Parkinson disease: thirty-six-month outcomes Neurology, 2012; 79(1): 55-65.
- Prabhudesai Shubhangi, Sinha Sharmistha, Attar Aida, Kotagiri Aswani, Fitzmaurice Arthur G, Lakshmanan Rajeswari, Lakshmanan Ravi, Ivanova Magdalena I, Loo Joseph A, KlÃ¤rner Frank-Gerrit, Schrader Thomas, Stahl Mark, Bitan Gal, Bronstein Jeff M A novel “molecular tweezer” inhibitor of Î±-synuclein neurotoxicity in vitro and in vivo Neurotherapeutics : the journal of the American Society for Experimental NeuroTherapeutics, 2012; 9(2): 464-76.
- Chan Nora, Le Cindy, Shieh Perry, Mozaffar Tahseen, Khare Manaswitha, Bronstein Jeff, Kimonis Virginia Valosin-containing protein mutation and Parkinson’s disease Parkinsonism & related disorders, 2012; 18(1): 107-9.
- Ritz Beate, Rhodes Shannon L, Bordelon Yvette, Bronstein Jeff Î±-Synuclein genetic variants predict faster motor symptom progression in idiopathic Parkinson disease PloS one, 2012; 7(5): e36199.
- Wang Anthony, Costello Sadie, Cockburn Myles, Zhang Xinbo, Bronstein Jeff, Ritz Beate Parkinson’s disease risk from ambient exposure to pesticides European journal of epidemiology, 2011; 26(7): 547-55.
- Rhodes Shannon L, Sinsheimer Janet S, Bordelon Yvette, Bronstein Jeff M, Ritz Beate Replication of GWAS associations for GAK and MAPT in Parkinson’s disease Annals of human genetics, 2011; 75(2): 195-200.
- Bronstein Jeff M, Tagliati Michele, Alterman Ron L, Lozano Andres M, Volkmann Jens, Stefani Alessandro, Horak Fay B, Okun Michael S, Foote Kelly D, Krack Paul, Pahwa Rajesh, Henderson Jaimie M, Hariz Marwan I, Bakay Roy A, Rezai Ali, Marks William J, Moro Elena, Vitek Jerrold L, Weaver Frances M, Gross Robert E, DeLong Mahlon R Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson disease: an expert consensus and review of key issues Archives of neurology, 2011; 68(2): 165.
- Bordelon Yvette M, Hays Ron D, Vassar Stefanie D, Diaz Natalie, Bronstein Jeff, Vickrey Barbara G Medication responsiveness of motor symptoms in a population-based study of Parkinson disease Parkinson’s disease, 2011; 2011(1): 967839.
- Rosenbloom Barry, Balwani Manisha, Bronstein Jeff M, Kolodny Edwin, Sathe Swati, Gwosdow Andrea R, Taylor John S, Cole J Alexander, Zimran Ari, Weinreb Neal J The incidence of Parkinsonism in patients with type 1 Gaucher disease: data from the ICGG Gaucher Registry Blood cells, molecules & diseases, 2011; 46(1): 95-102.
- Chou Arthur P, Li Sharon, Fitzmaurice Arthur G, Bronstein Jeff M Mechanisms of rotenone-induced proteasome inhibition Neurotoxicology, 2010; 31(4): 367-72.
- Follett Kenneth A, Weaver Frances M, Stern Matthew, Hur Kwan, Harris Crystal L, Luo Ping, Marks William J, Rothlind Johannes, Sagher Oren, Moy Claudia, Pahwa Rajesh, Burchiel Kim, Hogarth Penelope, Lai Eugene C, Duda John E, Holloway Kathryn, Samii Ali, Horn Stacy, Bronstein Jeff M, Stoner Gatana, Starr Philip A, Simpson Richard, Baltuch Gordon, De Salles Antonio, Huang Grant D, Reda Domenic J, Reda Domenic J Pallidal versus subthalamic deep-brain stimulation for Parkinson’s disease The New England journal of medicine, 2010; 362(22): 2077-91.
- Plaitakis Andreas, Latsoudis Helen, Kanavouras Konstantinos, Ritz Beate, Bronstein Jeff M, Skoula Irene, Mastorodemos Vasileios, Papapetropoulos Spyridon, Borompokas Nikolas, Zaganas Ioannis, Xiromerisiou Georgia, Hadjigeorgiou George M, Spanaki Cleanthe Gain-of-function variant in GLUD2 glutamate dehydrogenase modifies Parkinson’s disease onset European journal of human genetics : EJHG, 2010; 18(3): 336-41.
- Manthripragada Angelika D, Costello Sadie, Cockburn Myles G, Bronstein Jeff M, Ritz Beate Paraoxonase 1, agricultural organophosphate exposure, and Parkinson disease Epidemiology (Cambridge, Mass.), 2010; 21(1): 87-94.
- Gatto Nicole M, Rhodes Shannon L, Manthripragada Angelika D, Bronstein Jeff, Cockburn Myles, Farrer Matt, Ritz Beate Î±-Synuclein gene may interact with environmental factors in increasing risk of Parkinson’s disease Neuroepidemiology, 2010; 35(3): 191-5.
- Gatto Nicole M, Cockburn Myles, Bronstein Jeff, Manthripragada Angelika D, Ritz Beate Well-water consumption and Parkinson’s disease in rural California Environmental health perspectives, 2009; 117(12): 1912-8.
- Farag Emad S, Vinters Harry V, Bronstein Jeff Pathologic findings in retinal pigment epithelial cell implantation for Parkinson disease Neurology, 2009; 73(14): 1095-102.
- Ritz Beate R, Manthripragada Angelika D, Costello Sadie, Lincoln Sarah J, Farrer Matthew J, Cockburn Myles, Bronstein Jeff Dopamine transporter genetic variants and pesticides in Parkinson’s disease Environmental health perspectives, 2009; 117(6): 964-9.
- Costello Sadie, Cockburn Myles, Bronstein Jeff, Zhang Xinbo, Ritz Beate Parkinson’s disease and residential exposure to maneb and paraquat from agricultural applications in the central valley of California American journal of epidemiology, 2009; 169(8): 919-26.
- Weaver Frances M, Follett Kenneth, Stern Matthew, Hur Kwan, Harris Crystal, Marks William J, Rothlind Johannes, Sagher Oren, Reda Domenic, Moy Claudia S, Pahwa Rajesh, Burchiel Kim, Hogarth Penelope, Lai Eugene C, Duda John E, Holloway Kathryn, Samii Ali, Horn Stacy, Bronstein Jeff, Stoner Gatana, Heemskerk Jill, Huang Grant D, Huang Grant D Bilateral deep brain stimulation vs best medical therapy for patients with advanced Parkinson disease: a randomized controlled trial JAMA, 2009; 301(1): 63-73.
- Bronstein Jeff, Carvey Paul, Chen Honglei, Cory-Slechta Deborah, DiMonte Donato, Duda John, English Paul, Goldman Samuel, Grate Stephen, Hansen Johnni, Hoppin Jane, Jewell Sarah, Kamel Freya, Koroshetz Walter, Langston James W, Logroscino Giancarlo, Nelson Lorene, Ravina Bernard, Rocca Walter, Ross George W, Schettler Ted, Schwarzschild Michael, Scott Bill, Seegal Richard, Singleton Andrew, Steenland Kyle, Tanner Caroline M, Van Den Eeden Stephen, Weisskopf Marc Meeting report: consensus statement-Parkinson’s disease and the environment: collaborative on health and the environment and Parkinson’s Action Network (CHE PAN) conference 26-28 June 2007 Environmental health perspectives, 2009; 117(1): 117-21.
- Chou Arthur P, Maidment Nigel, Klintenberg Rebecka, Casida John E, Li Sharon, Fitzmaurice Arthur G, Fernagut Pierre-Olivier, Mortazavi Farzad, Chesselet Marie-Francoise, Bronstein Jeff M Ziram causes dopaminergic cell damage by inhibiting E1 ligase of the proteasome The Journal of biological chemistry, 2008; 283(50): 34696-703.
- Wahner Angelika D, Bronstein Jeff M, Bordelon Yvette M, Ritz Beate Statin use and the risk of Parkinson disease Neurology, 2008; 70(16 Pt 2): 1418-22.
- Wahner Angelika D, Bronstein Jeff M, Bordelon Yvette M, Ritz Beate Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may protect against Parkinson disease Neurology, 2007; 69(19): 1836-42.
- Wahner Angelika D, Sinsheimer Janet S, Bronstein Jeff M, Ritz Beate Inflammatory cytokine gene polymorphisms and increased risk of Parkinson disease Archives of neurology, 2007; 64(6): 836-40.
- Wahner Angelika D, Glatt Charles E, Bronstein Jeff M, Ritz Beate Glutathione S-transferase mu, omega, pi, and theta class variants and smoking in Parkinson’s disease Neuroscience letters, 2007; 413(3): 274-8.
- Tiwari-Woodruff Seema, Beltran-Parrazal Luis, Charles Andrew, Keck Thomas, Vu Trung, Bronstein Jeff K+ channel KV3.1 associates with OSP/claudin-11 and regulates oligodendrocyte development American journal of physiology. Cell physiology, 2006; 291(4): C687-98.
- Wang Xue-Feng, Li Sharon, Chou Arthur P, Bronstein Jeff M Inhibitory effects of pesticides on proteasome activity: implication in Parkinson’s disease Neurobiology of disease, 2006; 23(1): 198-205.
- Bronstein Jeff M, Chou Arthur P Peripheral proteasome and caspase activity in Parkinson disease and Alzheimer disease Neurology, 2006; 67(1): 182; author reply 182.
- Follett Kenneth, Weaver Frances, Stern Matthew, Marks William, Hogarth Penelope, Holloway Katherine, Bronstein Jeff, Duda John, Horn Stacy, Lai Eugene, Samii Ali Multisite randomized trial of deep brain stimulation Archives of neurology, 2005; 62(10): 1643-4; author reply 1644-5.
- Kang Gail A, Bronstein Jeff M, Masterman Donna L, Redelings Matthew, Crum Jarrod A, Ritz Beate Clinical characteristics in early Parkinson’s disease in a central California population-based study Movement disorders : official journal of the Movement Disorder Society, 2005; 20(9): 1133-42.
- Bhidayasiri Roongroj, Bronstein Jeff M, Sinha Shantanu, Krahl Scott E, Ahn Sinyeob, Behnke Eric J, Cohen Mark S, Frysinger Robert, Shellock Frank G Bilateral neurostimulation systems used for deep brain stimulation: in vitro study of MRI-related heating at 1.5 T and implications for clinical imaging of the brain Magnetic resonance imaging, 2005; 23(4): 549-55.
- Bhidayasiri Roongroj, Bronstein Jeff M Improvement of cervical dystonia: possible role of transcranial magnetic stimulation simulating sensory tricks effect Medical hypotheses, 2005; 64(5): 941-5.
- Diaz Natalie, Bronstein Jeff M Parkinson’s Disease Research Education and Clinical Centers (PADRECC): background and overview NeuroRehabilitation, 2005; 20(3): 153-60.
- Bhidayasiri Roongroj, Miyata Hajime, Bronstein Jeff M, Schweitzer Jeffrey, Saber Peter A, Vinters Harry V Postmortem analysis of pallidotomy in Parkinson’s disease Journal of neurology, 2005; 252(1): 100-2.
- Tiwari-Woodruff Seema K, Kaplan Roman, Kornblum Harley I, Bronstein Jeff M Developmental expression of OAP-1/Tspan-3, a member of the tetraspanin superfamily Journal of neuroscience research, 2004; 77(2): 166-73.
- Kang Gail A, Bronstein Jeff M Psychosis in nursing home patients with Parkinson’s disease Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 2004; 5(3): 167-73.
- Sage Jennifer R, Anagnostaras Stephan G, Mitchell Shawn, Bronstein Jeff M, De Salles Antonio, Masterman Donna, Knowlton Barbara J Analysis of probabilistic classification learning in patients with Parkinson’s disease before and after pallidotomy surgery Learning & memory (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.), 2003; 10(3): 226-36.
- Bryant Joshua A, De Salles Antonio, Cabatan Cynthia, Frysinger Robert, Behnke Eric, Bronstein Jeff The impact of thalamic stimulation on activities of daily living for essential tremor Surgical neurology, 2003; 59(6): 479-84; discussion 484-5.
- Subramanian Indu, Vanek Zeba F, Bronstein Jeff M Diagnosis and treatment of Wilson’s disease Current neurology and neuroscience reports, 2002; 2(4): 317-23.
- Liau Linda M, Jensen Eric R, Kremen Thomas J, Odesa Sylvia K, Sykes Steven N, Soung Michael C, Miller Jeff F, Bronstein Jeff M Tumor immunity within the central nervous system stimulated by recombinant Listeria monocytogenes vaccination Cancer research, 2002; 62(8): 2287-93.