Jeffrey Michael Donlea
Associate Professor, Neurobiology, University of California Los Angeles
650 Charles E. Young Drive South, CHS 63-251
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Sleep disruptions are common and pose a significant public health risk – insufficient sleep causes cognitive deficits that increase the risk of severe motor vehicle accidents, medical mistakes, workplace injuries, and other serious events. Although the causes of these cognitive deficits are not known, comparable behavioral impairments have also been detected after sleep loss in smaller animals, including the fruit fly. Dr. Donlea has studied the regulation and functions of sleep in flies as a PhD student in Paul Shaw’s lab at Washington University in St. Louis and as a postdoctoral researcher in Gero Miesenböck’s lab at the University of Oxford. He is now a member of the Department of Neurobiology and uses a combination of behavioral genetics and in vivo electrophysiology to examine sleep’s basic neural functions.
- Knapp EM, Kaiser A, Arnold RC, Sampson MM, Ruppert M, Xu L, Anderson MI, Bonanno SL, Scholz H, Donlea JM, Krantz DE. Mutation of the Drosophila melanogaster serotonin transporter dSERT impacts sleep, courtship, and feeding behaviors.. PLoS genetics, 2022.
- Weiss JT, Donlea JM. Roles for Sleep in Neural and Behavioral Plasticity: Reviewing Variation in the Consequences of Sleep Loss.. Frontiers in behavioral neuroscience, 2022.
- Weiss JT, Donlea JM. Sleep deprivation results in diverse patterns of synaptic scaling across the Drosophila mushroom bodies.. Current biology : CB, 2021.
- Singh P, Donlea JM. Bidirectional Regulation of Sleep and Synapse Pruning after Neural Injury.. Current biology : CB, 2020.
- Omoto JJ, Nguyen BM, Kandimalla P, Lovick JK, Donlea JM, Hartenstein V. Neuronal Constituents and Putative Interactions Within the Drosophila Ellipsoid Body Neuropil.. Frontiers in neural circuits, 2018.
- Colwell CS, Donlea J. Temporal Coding of Sleep.. Cell, 2018.
- Donlea JM. Roles for sleep in memory: insights from the fly.. Current opinion in neurobiology, 2018.
- Donlea JM, Pimentel D, Talbot CB, Kempf A, Omoto JJ, Hartenstein V, Miesenb?ck G. Recurrent Circuitry for Balancing Sleep Need and Sleep.. Neuron, 2018.
- Donlea JM. Neuronal and molecular mechanisms of sleep homeostasis.. Current opinion in insect science, 2017.
- Donlea JM, Alam MN, Szymusiak R. Neuronal substrates of sleep homeostasis; lessons from flies, rats and mice.. Current opinion in neurobiology, 2017.
- Dissel S, Klose M, Donlea J, Cao L, English D, Winsky-Sommerer R, van Swinderen B, Shaw PJ. Enhanced sleep reverses memory deficits and underlying pathology in Drosophila models of Alzheimer's disease.. Neurobiology of sleep and circadian rhythms, 2016.
- Pimentel D, Donlea JM, Talbot CB, Song SM, Thurston AJF, Miesenb?ck G. Operation of a homeostatic sleep switch.. Nature, 2016.
- Dissel S, Angadi V, Kirszenblat L, Suzuki Y, Donlea J, Klose M, Koch Z, English D, Winsky-Sommerer R, van Swinderen B, Shaw PJ. Sleep restores behavioral plasticity to Drosophila mutants.. Current biology : CB, 2015.
- Donlea JM, Ramanan N, Silverman N, Shaw PJ. Genetic rescue of functional senescence in synaptic and behavioral plasticity.. Sleep, 2014.
- Donlea JM, Pimentel D, Miesenb?ck G. Neuronal Machinery of Sleep Homeostasis in Drosophila.. Neuron, 2014.
- Donlea JM, Pimentel D, Miesenb?ck G. Neuronal machinery of sleep homeostasis in Drosophila.. Neuron, 2014.
- Donlea J, Leahy A, Thimgan MS, Suzuki Y, Hughson BN, Sokolowski MB, Shaw PJ. Foraging alters resilience/vulnerability to sleep disruption and starvation in Drosophila.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2012.
- Donlea JM, Thimgan MS, Suzuki Y, Gottschalk L, Shaw PJ. Inducing sleep by remote control facilitates memory consolidation in Drosophila.. Science (New York, N.Y.), 2011.
- Seugnet L, Suzuki Y, Donlea JM, Gottschalk L, Shaw PJ. Sleep deprivation during early-adult development results in long-lasting learning deficits in adult Drosophila.. Sleep, 2011.
- Donlea JM, Shaw PJ. Sleeping together using social interactions to understand the role of sleep in plasticity.. Advances in genetics, 2010.
- Seugnet L, Suzuki Y, Thimgan M, Donlea J, Gimbel SI, Gottschalk L, Duntley SP, Shaw PJ. Identifying sleep regulatory genes using a Drosophila model of insomnia.. The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 2009.
- Donlea JM, Ramanan N, Shaw PJ. Use-dependent plasticity in clock neurons regulates sleep need in Drosophila.. Science (New York, N.Y.), 2009.
- Ganguly-Fitzgerald I, Donlea J, Shaw PJ. Waking experience affects sleep need in Drosophila.. Science (New York, N.Y.), 2006.