Jeffery Floyd Miller
Professor, MIMG, University of California Los Angeles
615 Charles E. Young Drive South
Mail Code: 174718
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Office Phone Number:
Fred Kavli Chair, NanoSystems Sciences
M. Philip Davis Chair, Microbiology, Immunology & Molecular Genetics
Associate Director, Pacific Southwest Regional Center of Excellence in Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases
Member, CTSI, California NanoSystems Institute, Gene Regulation GPB Home Area, Immunity, Microbes & Molecular Pathogenesis GPB Home Area
Jeff F. Miller, Ph.D., studies molecular mechanisms of bacterial pathogenesis and the evolution of functional diversity in bacteria and phage. He received his bachelors degree in Chemistry from Case Western Reserve University and his Ph.D. in Molecular Biology from Tufts Univ. School of Medicine. After postdoctoral training with Dr. Stanley Falkow at Stanford, he joined the faculty at UCLA in 1990. From 2002-2014 he held the M. Philip Davis Chair in Microbiology and Immunology and served as Chairman of the Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics. In November, 2014, he was appointed as the Fred Kavli Endowed Chair in NanoSystems Sciences and Director of the California NanoSystems Institute at UCLA. In 2004, Dr. Miller co-founded AvidBiotics Corp., a biotherapeutics company in South San Francisco. In 2009 he was appointed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services to serve on the National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity and he is a voting member of the Board. From 2008-2010 he was Chair of the General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology (ASM), and from 2012-2014 he served as President of ASM, which represents 40,000 members in the US and abroad. Dr. Miller is a former Pew Scholar in the Biomedical Sciences, a member of the American Academy of Microbiology, a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and in April, 2015 he was elected to membership in the National Academy of Sciences.
- Macadangdang BR, Makanani SK, Miller JF. Accelerated Evolution by Diversity-Generating Retroelements.. Annual review of microbiology, 2022.
- Nel AE, Miller JF. Nano-Enabled COVID-19 Vaccines: Meeting the Challenges of Durable Antibody Plus Cellular Immunity and Immune Escape.. ACS nano, 2021.
- Zoller SD, Hegde V, Burke ZDC, Park HY, Ishmael CR, Blumstein GW, Sheppard W, Hamad C, Loftin AH, Johansen DO, Smith RA, Sprague MM, Hori KR, Clarkson SJ, Borthwell R, Simon SI, Miller JF, Nelson SD, Bernthal NM. Evading the host response: Staphylococcus "hiding" in cortical bone canalicular system causes increased bacterial burden.. Bone research, 2020.
- Ge P, Scholl D, Prokhorov NS, Avaylon J, Shneider MM, Browning C, Buth SA, Plattner M, Chakraborty U, Ding K, Leiman PG, Miller JF, Zhou ZH. Action of a minimal contractile bactericidal nanomachine.. Nature, 2020.
- French CT, Bulterys PL, Woodward CL, Tatters AO, Ng KR, Miller JF. Virulence from the rhizosphere: ecology and evolution of Burkholderia pseudomallei-complex species.. Current opinion in microbiology, 2020.
- Bulterys PL, Toesca IJ, Norris MH, Maloy JP, Fitz-Gibbon ST, France B, Toffig B, Morselli M, Somprasong N, Pellegrini M, Schweizer HP, Tuanyok A, Damoiseaux R, French CT, Miller JF. An in situ high-throughput screen identifies inhibitors of intracellular Burkholderia pseudomallei with therapeutic efficacy.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2019.
- Zoller SD, Park HY, Olafsen T, Zamilpa C, Burke ZD, Blumstein G, Sheppard WL, Hamad CD, Hori KR, Tseng JC, Czupryna J, McMannus C, Lee JT, Bispo M, Romero Pastrana F, Raineri EJ, Miller JF, Miller LS, van Dijl JM, Francis KP, Bernthal NM. Multimodal imaging guides surgical management in a preclinical spinal implant infection model.. JCI insight, 2019.
- Bulterys PL, Bulterys MA, Phommasone K, Luangraj M, Mayxay M, Kloprogge S, Miliya T, Vongsouvath M, Newton PN, Phetsouvanh R, French CT, Miller JF, Turner P, Dance DAB. Climatic drivers of melioidosis in Laos and Cambodia: a 16-year case series analysis.. The Lancet. Planetary health, 2018.
- Cheng L, Marinelli LJ, Grosset N, Fitz-Gibbon ST, Bowman CA, Dang BQ, Russell DA, Jacobs-Sera D, Shi B, Pellegrini M, Miller JF, Gautier M, Hatfull GF, Modlin RL. Complete genomic sequences of Propionibacterium freudenreichii phages from Swiss cheese reveal greater diversity than Cutibacterium (formerly Propionibacterium) acnes phages.. BMC microbiology, 2018.
- Wu L, Gingery M, Abebe M, Arambula D, Czornyj E, Handa S, Khan H, Liu M, Pohlschroder M, Shaw KL, Du A, Guo H, Ghosh P, Miller JF, Zimmerly S. Diversity-generating retroelements: natural variation, classification and evolution inferred from a large-scale genomic survey.. Nucleic acids research, 2018.
- Naorem SS, Han J, Wang S, Lee WR, Heng X, Miller JF, Guo H. DGR mutagenic transposition occurs via hypermutagenic reverse transcription primed by nicked template RNA.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2017.
- Li R, Mansukhani ND, Guiney LM, Ji Z, Zhao Y, Chang CH, French CT, Miller JF, Hersam MC, Nel AE, Xia T. Identification and Optimization of Carbon Radicals on Hydrated Graphene Oxide for Ubiquitous Antibacterial Coatings.. ACS nano, 2016.
- Ahuja U, Shokeen B, Cheng N, Cho Y, Blum C, Coppola G, Miller JF. Differential regulation of type III secretion and virulence genes in Bordetella pertussis and Bordetella bronchiseptica by a secreted anti-σ factor.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2016.
- Ge P, Scholl D, Leiman PG, Yu X, Miller JF, Zhou ZH. Atomic structures of a bactericidal contractile nanotube in its pre- and postcontraction states.. Nature structural & molecular biology, 2015.
- Zhang X, Guo H, Jin L, Czornyj E, Hodes A, Hui WH, Nieh AW, Miller JF, Zhou ZH. Correction: A new topology of the HK97-like fold revealed in Bordetella bacteriophage by cryoEM at 3.5 Å resolution.. eLife, 2015.
- Balaji K, French CT, Miller JF, Colicelli J. The RAB5-GEF Function of RIN1 Regulates Multiple Steps During Listeria monocytogenes Infection.. Traffic (Copenhagen, Denmark), 2015.
- Guo H, Arambula D, Ghosh P, Miller JF. Diversity-generating Retroelements in Phage and Bacterial Genomes.. Microbiology spectrum, 2014.
- Balaji K, French CT, Miller JF, Colicelli J. The RAB5-GEF function of RIN1 regulates multiple steps during Listeria monocytogenes infection.. Traffic (Copenhagen, Denmark), 2014.
- Chen Y, Schröder I, French CT, Jaroszewicz A, Yee XJ, Teh BE, Toesca IJ, Miller JF, Gan YH. Characterization and analysis of the Burkholderia pseudomallei BsaN virulence regulon.. BMC microbiology, 2014.
- Teh BE, French CT, Chen Y, Chen IG, Wu TH, Sagullo E, Chiou PY, Teitell MA, Miller JF, Gan YH. Type three secretion system-mediated escape of Burkholderia pseudomallei into the host cytosol is critical for the activation of NFκB.. BMC microbiology, 2014.
- Melvin JA, Scheller EV, Miller JF, Cotter PA. Bordetella pertussis pathogenesis: current and future challenges.. Nature reviews. Microbiology, 2014.
- Toesca IJ, French CT, Miller JF. The Type VI secretion system spike protein VgrG5 mediates membrane fusion during intercellular spread by pseudomallei group Burkholderia species.. Infection and immunity, 2014.
- Zhang X, Guo H, Jin L, Czornyj E, Hodes A, Hui WH, Nieh AW, Miller JF, Zhou ZH. A new topology of the HK97-like fold revealed in Bordetella bacteriophage by cryoEM at 3.5 A resolution.. eLife, 2013.
- Arambula D, Wong W, Medhekar BA, Guo H, Gingery M, Czornyj E, Liu M, Dey S, Ghosh P, Miller JF. Surface display of a massively variable lipoprotein by a Legionella diversity-generating retroelement.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2013.
- Miller JF. Gaming the competition in microbial cell-cell interactions.. The EMBO journal, 2013.
- Fitz-Gibbon S, Tomida S, Chiu BH, Nguyen L, Du C, Liu M, Elashoff D, Erfe MC, Loncaric A, Kim J, Modlin RL, Miller JF, Sodergren E, Craft N, Weinstock GM, Li H. Propionibacterium acnes strain populations in the human skin microbiome associated with acne.. The Journal of investigative dermatology, 2013.
- Marinelli LJ, Fitz-Gibbon S, Hayes C, Bowman C, Inkeles M, Loncaric A, Russell DA, Jacobs-Sera D, Cokus S, Pellegrini M, Kim J, Miller JF, Hatfull GF, Modlin RL. Propionibacterium acnes bacteriophages display limited genetic diversity and broad killing activity against bacterial skin isolates.. mBio, 2012.
- Ahuja U, Liu M, Tomida S, Park J, Souda P, Whitelegge J, Li H, Harvill ET, Parkhill J, Miller JF. Phenotypic and genomic analysis of hypervirulent human-associated Bordetella bronchiseptica.. BMC microbiology, 2012.
- Zhang X, Guo H, Jin L, Xu M, Miller JF, Zhou ZH. Atomic Structure of Bordetella Bacteriophage Reveals a Jellyroll Fold in CementProtein and a Topologically Distinct HK97-like Fold in Major Capsid Protein.. Microscopy and microanalysis : the official journal of Microscopy Society of America, Microbeam Analysis Society, Microscopical Society of Canada, 2012.
- Guo H, Tse LV, Nieh AW, Czornyj E, Williams S, Oukil S, Liu VB, Miller JF. Target site recognition by a diversity-generating retroelement.. PLoS genetics, 2011.
- French CT, Toesca IJ, Wu TH, Teslaa T, Beaty SM, Wong W, Liu M, Schröder I, Chiou PY, Teitell MA, Miller JF. Dissection of the Burkholderia intracellular life cycle using a photothermal nanoblade.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2011.
- Wu TH, Teslaa T, Kalim S, French CT, Moghadam S, Wall R, Miller JF, Witte ON, Teitell MA, Chiou PY. Photothermal nanoblade for large cargo delivery into mammalian cells.. Analytical chemistry, 2011.
- Dai W, Hodes A, Hui WH, Gingery M, Miller JF, Zhou ZH. Three-dimensional structure of tropism-switching Bordetella bacteriophage.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2010.
- French CT, Panina EM, Yeh SH, Griffith N, Arambula DG, Miller JF. The Bordetella type III secretion system effector BteA contains a conserved N-terminal motif that guides bacterial virulence factors to lipid rafts.. Cellular microbiology, 2009.
- Liu SD, Tomassian T, Bruhn KW, Miller JF, Poirier F, Miceli MC. Galectin-1 tunes TCR binding and signal transduction to regulate CD8 burst size.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950), 2009.
- Shrivastava R, Miller JF. Virulence factor secretion and translocation by Bordetella species.. Current opinion in microbiology, 2009.
- Medhekar B, Shrivastava R, Mattoo S, Gingery M, Miller JF. Bordetella Bsp22 forms a filamentous type III secretion system tip complex and is immunoprotective in vitro and in vivo.. Molecular microbiology, 2008.
- Guo H, Tse LV, Barbalat R, Sivaamnuaiphorn S, Xu M, Doulatov S, Miller JF. Diversity-generating retroelement homing regenerates target sequences for repeated rounds of codon rewriting and protein diversification.. Molecular cell, 2008.
- Medhekar B, Miller JF. Diversity-generating retroelements.. Current opinion in microbiology, 2007.
- Bruhn KW, Craft N, Miller JF. Listeria as a vaccine vector.. Microbes and infection, 2007.
- Prins RM, Bruhn KW, Craft N, Lin JW, Kim CH, Odesa SK, Miller JF, Liau LM. Central nervous system tumor immunity generated by a recombinant listeria monocytogenes vaccine targeting tyrosinase related protein-2 and real-time imaging of intracranial tumor burden.. Neurosurgery, 2006.
- Prins RM, Craft N, Bruhn KW, Khan-Farooqi H, Koya RC, Stripecke R, Miller JF, Liau LM. The TLR-7 agonist, imiquimod, enhances dendritic cell survival and promotes tumor antigen-specific T cell priming: relation to central nervous system antitumor immunity.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950), 2006.
- Foreman-Wykert AK, Miller JF. A new animal model of Bordetella pertussis infection and immunity.. Trends in microbiology, 2005.
- Panina EM, Mattoo S, Griffith N, Kozak NA, Yuk MH, Miller JF. A genome-wide screen identifies a Bordetella type III secretion effector and candidate effectors in other species.. Molecular microbiology, 2005.
- Kozak NA, Mattoo S, Foreman-Wykert AK, Whitelegge JP, Miller JF. Interactions between partner switcher orthologs BtrW and BtrV regulate type III secretion in Bordetella.. Journal of bacteriology, 2005.
- Craft N, Bruhn KW, Nguyen BD, Prins R, Lin JW, Liau LM, Miller JF. The TLR7 agonist imiquimod enhances the anti-melanoma effects of a recombinant Listeria monocytogenes vaccine.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950), 2005.
- Craft N, Bruhn KW, Nguyen BD, Prins R, Liau LM, Collisson EA, De A, Kolodney MS, Gambhir SS, Miller JF. Bioluminescent imaging of melanoma in live mice.. The Journal of investigative dermatology, 2005.
- Bruhn KW, Craft N, Nguyen BD, Yip J, Miller JF. Characterization of anti-self CD8 T-cell responses stimulated by recombinant Listeria monocytogenes expressing the melanoma antigen TRP-2.. Vaccine, 2005.
- Vergara-Irigaray N, Chávarri-Martínez A, Rodríguez-Cuesta J, Miller JF, Cotter PA, Martínez de Tejada G. Evaluation of the role of the Bvg intermediate phase in Bordetella pertussis during experimental respiratory infection.. Infection and immunity, 2005.
- Widney DP, Hu Y, Foreman-Wykert AK, Bui KC, Nguyen TT, Lu B, Gerard C, Miller JF, Smith JB. CXCR3 and its ligands participate in the host response to Bordetella bronchiseptica infection of the mouse respiratory tract but are not required for clearance of bacteria from the lung.. Infection and immunity, 2005.
- MacKichan JK, Gaynor EC, Chang C, Cawthraw S, Newell DG, Miller JF, Falkow S. The Campylobacter jejuni dccRS two-component system is required for optimal in vivo colonization but is dispensable for in vitro growth.. Molecular microbiology, 2004.
- Joseph SB, Bradley MN, Castrillo A, Bruhn KW, Mak PA, Pei L, Hogenesch J, O'connell RM, Cheng G, Saez E, Miller JF, Tontonoz P. LXR-dependent gene expression is important for macrophage survival and the innate immune response.. Cell, 2004.
- Doulatov S, Hodes A, Dai L, Mandhana N, Liu M, Deora R, Simons RW, Zimmerly S, Miller JF. Tropism switching in Bordetella bacteriophage defines a family of diversity-generating retroelements.. Nature, 2004.
- O'Connell RM, Saha SK, Vaidya SA, Bruhn KW, Miranda GA, Zarnegar B, Perry AK, Nguyen BO, Lane TF, Taniguchi T, Miller JF, Cheng G. Type I interferon production enhances susceptibility to Listeria monocytogenes infection.. The Journal of experimental medicine, 2004.
- Liu M, Gingery M, Doulatov SR, Liu Y, Hodes A, Baker S, Davis P, Simmonds M, Churcher C, Mungall K, Quail MA, Preston A, Harvill ET, Maskell DJ, Eiserling FA, Parkhill J, Miller JF. Genomic and genetic analysis of Bordetella bacteriophages encoding reverse transcriptase-mediated tropism-switching cassettes.. Journal of bacteriology, 2004.
- Miller JF. Bacteriophage and the evolution of epidemic cholera.. Infection and immunity, 2003.
- Foreman-Wykert AK, Miller JF. Hypervirulence and pathogen fitness.. Trends in microbiology, 2003.
- Stockbauer KE, Foreman-Wykert AK, Miller JF. Bordetella type III secretion induces caspase 1-independent necrosis.. Cellular microbiology, 2003.
- Liu M, Deora R, Doulatov SR, Gingery M, Eiserling FA, Preston A, Maskell DJ, Simons RW, Cotter PA, Parkhill J, Miller JF. Reverse transcriptase-mediated tropism switching in Bordetella bacteriophage.. Science (New York, N.Y.), 2002.
- Chin AI, Dempsey PW, Bruhn K, Miller JF, Xu Y, Cheng G. Involvement of receptor-interacting protein 2 in innate and adaptive immune responses.. Nature, 2002.