Young Hall 5110
Young Hall 5072C
Dr. Torres received his B.S. in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology from the University of California at Santa Barbara in 1998, where he conducted research under the mentorship of Dr. Eduardo Orias. He obtained his Ph.D. in Molecular Biology from Princeton University in 2004 under the direction of Dr. Virginia A. Zakian. He conducted his postdoctoral work in the laboratory of Dr. Peter K. Jackson at the Stanford University School of Medicine and Genentech Inc. until 2009 when he joined the faculty in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at UCLA.
Dr. Torres accepts graduate students through the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (BMB) Graduate Program and the UCLA ACCESS Ph.D. Program.
A selected list of publications:
- Bessler J.B., Torres J.Z., and Zakian V.A. The Pif1p subfamily of helicases: region-specific DNA helicases? Trends in Cell Biology, 2001; 11(2): 60-65.
- Torres Jorge Z, Ban Kenneth H, Jackson Peter K A specific form of phospho protein phosphatase 2 regulates anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome association with spindle poles Molecular biology of the cell, 2010; 21(6): 897-904.
- Torres Jorge Z, Miller Julie J, Jackson Peter K High-throughput generation of tagged stable cell lines for proteomic analysis Proteomics, 2009; 9(10): 2888-91.
- Ban Kenneth H, Torres Jorge Z, Miller Julie J, Mikhailov Alexei, Nachury Maxence V, Tung Jeffrey J, Rieder Conly L, Jackson Peter K The END network couples spindle pole assembly to inhibition of the anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome in early mitosis Developmental cell, 2007; 13(1): 29-42.
- Azvolinsky Anna, Dunaway Stephen, Torres Jorge Z, Bessler Jessica B, Zakian Virginia A The S. cerevisiae Rrm3p DNA helicase moves with the replication fork and affects replication of all yeast chromosomes Genes & development, 2006; 20(22): 3104-16.
- Torres Jorge Z, Schnakenberg Sandra L, Zakian Virginia A Saccharomyces cerevisiae Rrm3p DNA helicase promotes genome integrity by preventing replication fork stalling: viability of rrm3 cells requires the intra-S-phase checkpoint and fork restart activities Molecular and cellular biology, 2004; 24(8): 3198-212.
- Torres Jorge Z, Bessler Jessica B, Zakian Virginia A Local chromatin structure at the ribosomal DNA causes replication fork pausing and genome instability in the absence of the S. cerevisiae DNA helicase Rrm3p Genes & development, 2004; 18(5): 498-503.