Keriann Marie Backus
Assistant Professor, Biological Chemistry, University of California Los Angeles
615 Charles E. Young Drive South
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Keriann M. Backus, Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor of Biological Chemistry at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and an Assistant Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry at UCLA. Dr. Backus received her B.S. in Chemistry and B.A. in Latin American Studies from Brown University in 2007. She conducted undergraduate research in inorganic chemistry at Brown in the laboratory of Amit Basu on the synthesis and characterization of metal coordinating 1,2,3-triazoles. As part of her undergraduate education, she also conducted research in the laboratory of Tarun Kapoor at Rockefeller University. As a 2007 Rhodes Scholar and an NIH Oxford Cambridge Scholar, her Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry was conducted jointly in the laboratories of Benjamin Davis (Oxford) and Clifton Barry (NIH, NIAID). Her doctoral research focused on the synthesis and application of trehalose-based chemical probes to label and image Mycobacterium tuberculosis. In 2012 Dr. Backus completed her doctorate and began an NIH postdoctoral fellowship at The Scripps Research Institute in the laboratory of Benjamin Cravatt. At TSRI she developed chemical proteomics platforms to conduct covalent fragment-based screening at cysteine and lysine residues proteome-wide. In the area of chemical biology, her research combines chemical probe synthesis with activity based protein profiling and chemical proteomics to develop chemical tools to manipulate the human immune system.
- Yan T, Julio AR, Villaneuva M, Jones AE, Ball AAB, Boatner LM, Turmon AC, Yen SL, Desai HS, Divakaruni AS, Backus KM. Proximity-labeling chemoproteomics defines the subcellular cysteinome and inflammation-responsive mitochondrial redoxome.. bioRxiv : the preprint server for biology, 2023.
- Backus KM, Pan Z, Jones LH. Introduction to the themed collection on Covalent Drug Discovery.. RSC medicinal chemistry, 2022.
- Desai HS, Yan T, Backus KM. SP3-FAIMS-Enabled High-Throughput Quantitative Profiling of the Cysteinome.. Current protocols, 2022.
- Desai HS, Yan T, Yu F, Sun AW, Villanueva M, Nesvizhskii AI, Backus KM. SP3-Enabled Rapid and High Coverage Chemoproteomic Identification of Cell-State-Dependent Redox-Sensitive Cysteines.. Molecular & cellular proteomics : MCP, 2022.
- Yan T, Palmer AB, Geiszler DJ, Polasky DA, Boatner LM, Burton NR, Armenta E, Nesvizhskii AI, Backus KM. Enhancing Cysteine Chemoproteomic Coverage through Systematic Assessment of Click Chemistry Product Fragmentation.. Analytical chemistry, 2022.
- Tang KC, Cao J, Boatner LM, Li L, Farhi J, Houk KN, Spangle J, Backus KM, Raj M. Tunable Amine-Reactive Electrophiles for Selective Profiling of Lysine.. Angewandte Chemie (International ed. in English), 2021.
- Tang KC, Maddox SM, Backus KM, Raj M. Tunable heteroaromatic azoline thioethers (HATs) for cysteine profiling.. Chemical science, 2021.
- Burton NR, Kim P, Backus KM. Photoaffinity labelling strategies for mapping the small molecule-protein interactome.. Organic & biomolecular chemistry, 2021.
- Yan T, Desai HS, Boatner LM, Yen SL, Cao J, Palafox MF, Jami-Alahmadi Y, Backus KM. SP3-FAIMS Chemoproteomics for High-Coverage Profiling of the Human Cysteinome*.. Chembiochem : a European journal of chemical biology, 2021.
- Palafox MF, Desai HS, Arboleda VA, Backus KM. From chemoproteomic-detected amino acids to genomic coordinates: insights into precise multi-omic data integration.. Molecular systems biology, 2021.
- Julio AR, Backus KM. New approaches to target RNA binding proteins.. Current opinion in chemical biology, 2021.
- Cao J, Boatner LM, Desai HS, Burton NR, Armenta E, Chan NJ, Castell?n JO, Backus KM. Multiplexed CuAAC Suzuki-Miyaura Labeling for Tandem Activity-Based Chemoproteomic Profiling.. Analytical chemistry, 2021.
- Xu JH, Eberhardt J, Hill-Payne B, Gonz?lez-P?ez GE, Castell?n JO, Cravatt BF, Forli S, Wolan DW, Backus KM. Integrative X-ray Structure and Molecular Modeling for the Rationalization of Procaspase-8 Inhibitor Potency and Selectivity.. ACS chemical biology, 2020.
- Backus KM, Cao J, Maddox SM. Opportunities and challenges for the development of covalent chemical immunomodulators.. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry, 2019.
- Backus KM. Applications of Reactive Cysteine Profiling.. Current topics in microbiology and immunology, 2019.
- Bar-Peled L, Kemper EK, Suciu RM, Vinogradova EV, Backus KM, Horning BD, Paul TA, Ichu TA, Svensson RU, Olucha J, Chang MW, Kok BP, Zhu Z, Ihle NT, Dix MM, Jiang P, Hayward MM, Saez E, Shaw RJ, Cravatt BF. Chemical Proteomics Identifies Druggable Vulnerabilities in a Genetically Defined Cancer.. Cell, 2017.
- Hacker SM, Backus KM, Lazear MR, Forli S, Correia BE, Cravatt BF. Global profiling of lysine reactivity and ligandability in the human proteome.. Nature chemistry, 2017.
- Touchette MH, Van Vlack ER, Bai L, Kim J, Cognetta AB, Previti ML, Backus KM, Martin DW, Cravatt BF, Seeliger JC. A Screen for Protein-Protein Interactions in Live Mycobacteria Reveals a Functional Link between the Virulence-Associated Lipid Transporter LprG and the Mycolyltransferase Antigen 85A.. ACS infectious diseases, 2017.
- Guo CJ, Chang FY, Wyche TP, Backus KM, Acker TM, Funabashi M, Taketani M, Donia MS, Nayfach S, Pollard KS, Craik CS, Cravatt BF, Clardy J, Voigt CA, Fischbach MA. Discovery of Reactive Microbiota-Derived Metabolites that Inhibit Host Proteases.. Cell, 2017.
- Chen YC, Backus KM, Merkulova M, Yang C, Brown D, Cravatt BF, Zhang C. Covalent Modulators of the Vacuolar ATPase.. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2016.
- Horning BD, Suciu RM, Ghadiri DA, Ulanovskaya OA, Matthews ML, Lum KM, Backus KM, Brown SJ, Rosen H, Cravatt BF. Chemical Proteomic Profiling of Human Methyltransferases.. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2016.
- Blewett MM, Xie J, Zaro BW, Backus KM, Altman A, Teijaro JR, Cravatt BF. Chemical proteomic map of dimethyl fumarate-sensitive cysteines in primary human T cells.. Science signaling, 2016.
- Briggs KJ, Koivunen P, Cao S, Backus KM, Olenchock BA, Patel H, Zhang Q, Signoretti S, Gerfen GJ, Richardson AL, Witkiewicz AK, Cravatt BF, Clardy J, Kaelin WG. Paracrine Induction of HIF by Glutamate in Breast Cancer: EglN1 Senses Cysteine.. Cell, 2016.
- Backus KM, Correia BE, Lum KM, Forli S, Horning BD, Gonz?lez-P?ez GE, Chatterjee S, Lanning BR, Teijaro JR, Olson AJ, Wolan DW, Cravatt BF. Proteome-wide covalent ligand discovery in native biological systems.. Nature, 2016.
- Backus KM, Dolan MA, Barry CS, Joe M, McPhie P, Boshoff HI, Lowary TL, Davis BG, Barry CE. The three Mycobacterium tuberculosis antigen 85 isoforms have unique substrates and activities determined by non-active site regions.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2014.
- Barry CS, Backus KM, Barry CE, Davis BG. ESI-MS assay of M. tuberculosis cell wall antigen 85 enzymes permits substrate profiling and design of a mechanism-based inhibitor.. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2011.
- Backus KM, Boshoff HI, Barry CS, Boutureira O, Patel MK, D'Hooge F, Lee SS, Via LE, Tahlan K, Barry CE, Davis BG. Uptake of unnatural trehalose analogs as a reporter for Mycobacterium tuberculosis.. Nature chemical biology, 2011.