Michael F Carey
Professor, Biological Chemistry, University of California Los Angeles
CAMPUS - 173722
CA BSRB 351A
615 Charles E. Young Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Dr. Carey studies biochemical and genomic mechanisms of gene activation and silencing. In 1990, Dr. Carey established biochemical systems for studying gene regulation based on a model transcriptional activator termed GAL4-VP16. Using that system, Dr. Carey established a mechanism by which genes are controlled synergistically by upstream activators. Synergy is a key principle in gene regulation and underlies the combinatorial control of gene transcription. Throughout the 1990s, Dr. Carey’s lab showed that synergy is first manifested during assembly of transcription preinitiation complexes (PICs). His lab identified assembly of a co-activator complex, termed DAMed, as the key step influenced by activators. Dr. Carey has been studying the biochemistry of transcription on chromatin templates including how Pol II traverses a nucleosome, how a protein termed p300 coordinates chromatin modification with assembly of the DAMed complex and then the PIC, and how two silencing proteins termed HP1 and PRC1 silence transcription by selectively affecting key components of the DAMed complex. Dr. Carey’s recent work has focused on genomics including how enhancers interact with promoters and their localization within the 3D genome. Dr. Carey served as Director of the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center Gene Regulation Program from 1999-2005 and 2011-present. Dr. Carey initiated the Cold Spring Harbor Eukaryotic Gene Expression Course with his UCLA colleague, Dr. Steven Smale, and served as course director in 1997. Drs. Carey and Smale wrote a 650-page textbook titled “Transcriptional Regulation in Eukaryotes; Concepts, Strategies and Techniques.” The first edition was published by CSHL Press in 2000 and the second edition was published in 2009. Dr. Carey was a scientific cofounder of Agensys, a biotechnology company focused on prostate cancer therapy. Dr. Carey is on numerous committees at UCLA that oversee undergraduate and graduate research education.
- Bateman GA, Lechner-Scott J, Carey MF, Bateman AR, Lea RA. Does the venous pressure theory of multiple sclerosis pathophysiology deserve a second chance?. Multiple sclerosis and related disorders, 2021.
- Bateman GA, Lechner-Scott J, Carey MF, Bateman AR, Lea RA. Possible Markers of Venous Sinus Pressure Elevation in Multiple Sclerosis: Correlations with Gender and Disease Progression.. Multiple sclerosis and related disorders, 2021.
- Sun F, Sun T, Kronenberg M, Tan X, Huang C, Carey MF. The Pol II preinitiation complex (PIC) influences Mediator binding but not promoter-enhancer looping.. Genes & development, 2021.
- Topal S, Van C, Xue Y, Carey MF, Peterson CL. INO80C Remodeler Maintains Genomic Stability by Preventing Promiscuous Transcription at Replication Origins.. Cell reports, 2020.
- Attar N, Campos OA, Vogelauer M, Cheng C, Xue Y, Schmollinger S, Salwinski L, Mallipeddi NV, Boone BA, Yen L, Yang S, Zikovich S, Dardine J, Carey MF, Merchant SS, Kurdistani SK. The histone H3-H4 tetramer is a copper reductase enzyme.. Science (New York, N.Y.), 2020.
- Liu Q, Bischof S, Harris CJ, Zhong Z, Zhan L, Nguyen C, Rashoff A, Barshop WD, Sun F, Feng S, Potok M, Gallego-Bartolome J, Zhai J, Wohlschlegel JA, Carey MF, Long JA, Jacobsen SE. The characterization of Mediator 12 and 13 as conditional positive gene regulators in Arabidopsis.. Nature communications, 2020.
- Sun F, Chronis C, Kronenberg M, Chen XF, Su T, Lay FD, Plath K, Kurdistani SK, Carey MF. Promoter-Enhancer Communication Occurs Primarily within Insulated Neighborhoods.. Molecular cell, 2018.
- Gottesfeld JM, Carey MF. Introduction to the Thematic Minireview Series: Chromatin and transcription.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2018.
- Fanning RA, Campion DP, O'Shea M, Carey MF, O'Connor JJ. A comparison of the effects of lindane and FeCl3/ADP on spontaneous contractions in isolated rat or human term myometrium.. Reproductive toxicology (Elmsford, N.Y.), 2017.
- Xue Y, Pradhan SK, Sun F, Chronis C, Tran N, Su T, Van C, Vashisht A, Wohlschlegel J, Peterson CL, Timmers HTM, Kurdistani SK, Carey MF. Mot1, Ino80C, and NC2 Function Coordinately to Regulate Pervasive Transcription in Yeast and Mammals.. Molecular cell, 2017.
- Xue Y, Schmollinger S, Attar N, Campos OA, Vogelauer M, Carey MF, Merchant SS, Kurdistani SK. Endoplasmic reticulum-mitochondria junction is required for iron homeostasis.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2017.
- Fanning RA, Sheehan F, Leyden C, Duffy N, Iglesias-Martinez LF, Carey MF, Campion DP, O'Connor JJ. A Role for Adrenergic Receptors in the Uterotonic Effects of Ergometrine in Isolated Human Term Nonlaboring Myometrium.. Anesthesia and analgesia, 2017.
- Huang C, Su T, Xue Y, Cheng C, Lay FD, McKee RA, Li M, Vashisht A, Wohlschlegel J, Novitch BG, Plath K, Kurdistani SK, Carey M. Cbx3 maintains lineage specificity during neural differentiation.. Genes & development, 2017.
- Pradhan SK, Su T, Yen L, Jacquet K, Huang C, Côté J, Kurdistani SK, Carey MF. EP400 Deposits H3.3 into Promoters and Enhancers during Gene Activation.. Molecular cell, 2015.
- Pradhan SK, Xue Y, Carey MF. Fragile Nucleosomes Influence Pol II Promoter Function.. Molecular cell, 2015.
- Xue Y, Van C, Pradhan SK, Su T, Gehrke J, Kuryan BG, Kitada T, Vashisht A, Tran N, Wohlschlegel J, Peterson CL, Kurdistani SK, Carey MF. The Ino80 complex prevents invasion of euchromatin into silent chromatin.. Genes & development, 2015.
- Ajmal M, Carey M. Intravenous bolus injection of dexamethasone and transient excruciating perineal pain.. European journal of anaesthesiology, 2015.
- Macadangdang BR, Oberai A, Spektor T, Campos OA, Sheng F, Carey MF, Vogelauer M, Kurdistani SK. Evolution of histone 2A for chromatin compaction in eukaryotes.. eLife, 2014.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. PCR-mediated site-directed mutagenesis.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2013.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. Electrophoretic mobility-shift assays.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2013.
- Sridharan R, Gonzales-Cope M, Chronis C, Bonora G, McKee R, Huang C, Patel S, Lopez D, Mishra N, Pellegrini M, Carey M, Garcia BA, Plath K. Proteomic and genomic approaches reveal critical functions of H3K9 methylation and heterochromatin protein-1γ in reprogramming to pluripotency.. Nature cell biology, 2013.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. DNase I footprinting.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2013.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. Preparation of (32)P-end-labeled DNA fragments for performing DNA-binding experiments.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2013.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. The RNase protection assay.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2013.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. The primer extension assay.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2013.
- Chen XF, Lehmann L, Lin JJ, Vashisht A, Schmidt R, Ferrari R, Huang C, McKee R, Mosley A, Plath K, Kurdistani SK, Wohlschlegel J, Carey M. Mediator and SAGA have distinct roles in Pol II preinitiation complex assembly and function.. Cell reports, 2012.
- Kitada T, Kuryan BG, Tran NN, Song C, Xue Y, Carey M, Grunstein M. Mechanism for epigenetic variegation of gene expression at yeast telomeric heterochromatin.. Genes & development, 2012.
- Fanning RA, McMorrow JP, Campion DP, Carey MF, O'Connor JJ. Opioid mediated activity and expression of mu and delta opioid receptors in isolated human term non-labouring myometrium.. European journal of pharmacology, 2012.
- Lehmann L, Ferrari R, Vashisht AA, Wohlschlegel JA, Kurdistani SK, Carey M. Polycomb repressive complex 1 (PRC1) disassembles RNA polymerase II preinitiation complexes.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2012.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. Confirming the functional importance of a protein-DNA interaction.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2012.
- Yu Y, Song C, Zhang Q, DiMaggio PA, Garcia BA, York A, Carey MF, Grunstein M. Histone H3 lysine 56 methylation regulates DNA replication through its interaction with PCNA.. Molecular cell, 2012.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. Identifying cis-acting DNA elements within a control region.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2012.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. Experimental strategies for cloning or identifying genes encoding DNA-binding proteins.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2012.
- Kuryan BG, Kim J, Tran NN, Lombardo SR, Venkatesh S, Workman JL, Carey M. Histone density is maintained during transcription mediated by the chromatin remodeler RSC and histone chaperone NAP1 in vitro.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2012.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. Experimental strategies for the identification of DNA-binding proteins.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2012.
- Lin JJ, Carey M. In vitro transcription and immobilized template analysis of preinitiation complexes.. Current protocols in molecular biology, 2012.
- Chen XF, Kuryan B, Kitada T, Tran N, Li JY, Kurdistani S, Grunstein M, Li B, Carey M. The Rpd3 core complex is a chromatin stabilization module.. Current biology : CB, 2011.
- Donohoe CL, Feeney C, Carey MF, Reynolds JV. Perioperative evaluation of the obese patient.. Journal of clinical anesthesia, 2011.
- Lin JJ, Lehmann LW, Bonora G, Sridharan R, Vashisht AA, Tran N, Plath K, Wohlschlegel JA, Carey M. Mediator coordinates PIC assembly with recruitment of CHD1.. Genes & development, 2011.
- Sheehan SR, Montgomery AA, Carey M, McAuliffe FM, Eogan M, Gleeson R, Geary M, Murphy DJ, ECSSIT Study Group. Oxytocin bolus versus oxytocin bolus and infusion for control of blood loss at elective caesarean section: double blind, placebo controlled, randomised trial.. BMJ (Clinical research ed.), 2011.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. Magnesium-agarose electrophoretic mobility shift assay (EMSA) of transcription factor IID binding to DNA.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2010.
- Gordon V, Bhadel S, Wunderlich W, Zhang J, Ficarro SB, Mollah SA, Shabanowitz J, Hunt DF, Xenarios I, Hahn WC, Conaway M, Carey MF, Gioeli D. CDK9 regulates AR promoter selectivity and cell growth through serine 81 phosphorylation.. Molecular endocrinology (Baltimore, Md.), 2010.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. Potassium permanganate probing of Pol II open complexes.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2010.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. Protein complex binding to promoter DNA: immobilized template assay.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2010.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. Purification of epitope-tagged transcription factor IID.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2010.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. Purification of mediator from HeLa cell lines expressing a flag-tagged mediator subunit.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2010.
- Williams AD, Anderson MJ, Selig S, Carey MF, Febbraio MA, Hayes A, Toia D, Harrap SB, Hare DL. Differential response to resistance training in CHF according to ACE genotype.. International journal of cardiology, 2010.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. G-less cassette in vitro transcription using HeLa cell nuclear extracts.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2010.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. Dignam and Roeder nuclear extract preparation.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2009.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. In vitro transcription using HeLa cell extracts and primer extension.. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2009.
- Tan T, Bhinder R, Carey M, Briggs L. Day-surgery patients anesthetized with propofol have less postoperative pain than those anesthetized with sevoflurane.. Anesthesia and analgesia, 2009.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. Chromatin immunoprecipitation (ChIP).. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2009.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. In vivo DNase I, MNase, and restriction enzyme footprinting via ligation-mediated polymerase chain reaction (LM-PCR).. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2009.
- Carey MF, Peterson CL, Smale ST. In vivo dimethyl sulfate (DMS) footprinting via ligation-mediated polymerase chain reaction (LM-PCR).. Cold Spring Harbor protocols, 2009.
- Murphy DJ, Carey M, Montgomery AA, Sheehan SR, ECSSIT Study Group. Study protocol. ECSSIT - Elective Caesarean Section Syntocinon Infusion Trial. A multi-centre randomised controlled trial of oxytocin (Syntocinon) 5 IU bolus and placebo infusion versus oxytocin 5 IU bolus and 40 IU infusion for the control of blood loss at elective caesarean section.. BMC pregnancy and childbirth, 2009.
- Ramirez-Carrozzi VR, Braas D, Bhatt DM, Cheng CS, Hong C, Doty KR, Black JC, Hoffmann A, Carey M, Smale ST. A unifying model for the selective regulation of inducible transcription by CpG islands and nucleosome remodeling.. Cell, 2009.
- Mosley AL, Pattenden SG, Carey M, Venkatesh S, Gilmore JM, Florens L, Workman JL, Washburn MP. Rtr1 is a CTD phosphatase that regulates RNA polymerase II during the transition from serine 5 to serine 2 phosphorylation.. Molecular cell, 2009.
- Huyn ST, Burton JB, Sato M, Carey M, Gambhir SS, Wu L. A potent, imaging adenoviral vector driven by the cancer-selective mucin-1 promoter that targets breast cancer metastasis.. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, 2009.
- Fanning RA, Briggs LP, Carey MF. Epidural analgesia practices for labour: results of a 2005 national survey in Ireland.. European journal of anaesthesiology, 2009.
- Black JC, Mosley A, Kitada T, Washburn M, Carey M. The SIRT2 deacetylase regulates autoacetylation of p300.. Molecular cell, 2008.
- Fanning RA, Campion DP, Collins CB, Keely S, Briggs LP, O'Connor JJ, Carey MF. A comparison of the inhibitory effects of bupivacaine and levobupivacaine on isolated human pregnant myometrium contractility.. Anesthesia and analgesia, 2008.
- Ray S, Paulmurugan R, Patel MR, Ahn BC, Wu L, Carey M, Gambhir SS. Noninvasive imaging of therapeutic gene expression using a bidirectional transcriptional amplification strategy.. Molecular therapy : the journal of the American Society of Gene Therapy, 2008.
- Smallwood A, Black JC, Tanese N, Pradhan S, Carey M. HP1-mediated silencing targets Pol II coactivator complexes.. Nature structural & molecular biology, 2008.
- Carey M, Smale ST. Hydroxyl-radical footprinting.. CSH protocols, 2007.
- Carey M, Smale ST. Methylation interference assay.. CSH protocols, 2007.
- Carey M, Smale ST. Phosphate ethylation interference assay.. CSH protocols, 2007.
- Carey M, Smale ST. Micrococcal Nuclease-Southern Blot Assay: I. MNase and Restriction Digestions.. CSH protocols, 2007.
- Carey M, Smale ST. Micrococcal Nuclease-Southern Blot Assay: II. Capillary Transfer and Hybridization.. CSH protocols, 2007.
- Chin HG, Estève PO, Pradhan M, Benner J, Patnaik D, Carey MF, Pradhan S. Automethylation of G9a and its implication in wider substrate specificity and HP1 binding.. Nucleic acids research, 2007.
- Smallwood A, Estève PO, Pradhan S, Carey M. Functional cooperation between HP1 and DNMT1 mediates gene silencing.. Genes & development, 2007.
- Williams AD, Carey MF, Selig S, Hayes A, Krum H, Patterson J, Toia D, Hare DL. Circuit resistance training in chronic heart failure improves skeletal muscle mitochondrial ATP production rate--a randomized controlled trial.. Journal of cardiac failure, 2007.
- Li B, Carey M, Workman JL. The role of chromatin during transcription.. Cell, 2007.
- Cribb PJ, Williams AD, Stathis CG, Carey MF, Hayes A. Effects of whey isolate, creatine, and resistance training on muscle hypertrophy.. Medicine and science in sports and exercise, 2007.
- Stathis CG, Carey MF, Hayes A, Garnham AP, Snow RJ. Sprint training reduces urinary purine loss following intense exercise in humans.. Applied physiology, nutrition, and metabolism = Physiologie appliquee, nutrition et metabolisme, 2006.
- Ilagan R, Pottratz J, Le K, Zhang L, Wong SG, Ayala R, Iyer M, Wu L, Gambhir SS, Carey M. Imaging mitogen-activated protein kinase function in xenograft models of prostate cancer.. Cancer research, 2006.
- Estève PO, Chin HG, Smallwood A, Feehery GR, Gangisetty O, Karpf AR, Carey MF, Pradhan S. Direct interaction between DNMT1 and G9a coordinates DNA and histone methylation during replication.. Genes & development, 2006.
- Carey M, Li B, Workman JL. RSC exploits histone acetylation to abrogate the nucleosomal block to RNA polymerase II elongation.. Molecular cell, 2006.
- Cribb PJ, Williams AD, Carey MF, Hayes A. The effect of whey isolate and resistance training on strength, body composition, and plasma glutamine.. International journal of sport nutrition and exercise metabolism, 2006.
- Black JC, Choi JE, Lombardo SR, Carey M. A mechanism for coordinating chromatin modification and preinitiation complex assembly.. Molecular cell, 2006.
- Reynolds JV, Ravi N, Hollywood D, Kennedy MJ, Rowley S, Ryan A, Hughes N, Carey M, Byrne P. Neoadjuvant chemoradiation may increase the risk of respiratory complications and sepsis after transthoracic esophagectomy.. The Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery, 2006.
- Wang Y, Iyer M, Annala A, Wu L, Carey M, Gambhir SS. Noninvasive indirect imaging of vascular endothelial growth factor gene expression using bioluminescence imaging in living transgenic mice.. Physiological genomics, 2006.
- Kozeracki CA, Carey MF, Colicelli J, Levis-Fitzgerald M, Grossel M. An intensive primary-literature-based teaching program directly benefits undergraduate science majors and facilitates their transition to doctoral programs.. CBE life sciences education, 2006.
- Iyer M, Salazar FB, Wu L, Carey M, Gambhir SS. Bioluminescence imaging of systemic tumor targeting using a prostate-specific lentiviral vector.. Human gene therapy, 2006.
- Ilagan R, Zhang LJ, Pottratz J, Le K, Salas S, Iyer M, Wu L, Gambhir SS, Carey M. Imaging androgen receptor function during flutamide treatment in the LAPC9 xenograft model.. Molecular cancer therapeutics, 2005.
- Johnson M, Sato M, Burton J, Gambhir SS, Carey M, Wu L. Micro-PET/CT monitoring of herpes thymidine kinase suicide gene therapy in a prostate cancer xenograft: the advantage of a cell-specific transcriptional targeting approach.. Molecular imaging, 2005.
- Stathis CG, Carey MF, Snow RJ. The influence of allopurinol on urinary purine loss after repeated sprint exercise in man.. Metabolism: clinical and experimental, 2005.
- Holland J, Carey M, Hughes N, Sweeney K, Byrne PJ, Healy M, Ravi N, Reynolds JV. Intraoperative splanchnic hypoperfusion, increased intestinal permeability, down-regulation of monocyte class II major histocompatibility complex expression, exaggerated acute phase response, and sepsis.. American journal of surgery, 2005.
- Sato M, Johnson M, Zhang L, Gambhir SS, Carey M, Wu L. Functionality of androgen receptor-based gene expression imaging in hormone refractory prostate cancer.. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, 2005.
- Carey M. Chromatin marks and machines, the missing nucleosome is a theme: gene regulation up and downstream.. Molecular cell, 2005.
- Song MJ, Hwang S, Wong W, Round J, Martinez-Guzman D, Turpaz Y, Liang J, Wong B, Johnson RC, Carey M, Sun R. The DNA architectural protein HMGB1 facilitates RTA-mediated viral gene expression in gamma-2 herpesviruses.. Journal of virology, 2004.
- Iyer M, Salazar FB, Lewis X, Zhang L, Carey M, Wu L, Gambhir SS. Noninvasive imaging of enhanced prostate-specific gene expression using a two-step transcriptional amplification-based lentivirus vector.. Molecular therapy : the journal of the American Society of Gene Therapy, 2004.
- Ray S, Paulmurugan R, Hildebrandt I, Iyer M, Wu L, Carey M, Gambhir SS. Novel bidirectional vector strategy for amplification of therapeutic and reporter gene expression.. Human gene therapy, 2004.
- Bourbon HM, Aguilera A, Ansari AZ, Asturias FJ, Berk AJ, Bjorklund S, Blackwell TK, Borggrefe T, Carey M, Carlson M, Conaway JW, Conaway RC, Emmons SW, Fondell JD, Freedman LP, Fukasawa T, Gustafsson CM, Han M, He X, Herman PK, Hinnebusch AG, Holmberg S, Holstege FC, Jaehning JA, Kim YJ, Kuras L, Leutz A, Lis JT, Meisterernest M, Naar AM, Nasmyth K, Parvin JD, Ptashne M, Reinberg D, Ronne H, Sadowski I, Sakurai H, Sipiczki M, Sternberg PW, Stillman DJ, Strich R, Struhl K, Svejstrup JQ, Tuck S, Winston F, Roeder RG, Kornberg RD. A unified nomenclature for protein subunits of mediator complexes linking transcriptional regulators to RNA polymerase II.. Molecular cell, 2004.
- Leppik JA, Aughey RJ, Medved I, Fairweather I, Carey MF, McKenna MJ. Prolonged exercise to fatigue in humans impairs skeletal muscle Na+-K+-ATPase activity, sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ release, and Ca2+ uptake.. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), 2004.
- McAinch AJ, Febbraio MA, Parkin JM, Zhao S, Tangalakis K, Stojanovska L, Carey MF. Effect of active versus passive recovery on metabolism and performance during subsequent exercise.. International journal of sport nutrition and exercise metabolism, 2004.
- Williams AD, Selig S, Hare DL, Hayes A, Krum H, Patterson J, Geerling RH, Toia D, Carey MF. Reduced exercise tolerance in CHF may be related to factors other than impaired skeletal muscle oxidative capacity.. Journal of cardiac failure, 2004.
- Selig SE, Carey MF, Menzies DG, Patterson J, Geerling RH, Williams AD, Bamroongsuk V, Toia D, Krum H, Hare DL. Moderate-intensity resistance exercise training in patients with chronic heart failure improves strength, endurance, heart rate variability, and forearm blood flow.. Journal of cardiac failure, 2004.
- Johnson KM, Wang J, Smallwood A, Carey M. The immobilized template assay for measuring cooperativity in eukaryotic transcription complex assembly.. Methods in enzymology, 2004.
- Sato M, Johnson M, Zhang L, Zhang B, Le K, Gambhir SS, Carey M, Wu L. Optimization of adenoviral vectors to direct highly amplified prostate-specific expression for imaging and gene therapy.. Molecular therapy : the journal of the American Society of Gene Therapy, 2003.
- Zhang L, Johnson M, Le KH, Sato M, Ilagan R, Iyer M, Gambhir SS, Wu L, Carey M. Interrogating androgen receptor function in recurrent prostate cancer.. Cancer research, 2003.
- McKenna MJ, Fraser SF, Li JL, Wang XN, Carey MF, Side EA, Morton J, Snell GI, Kjeldsen K, Williams TJ. Impaired muscle Ca2+ and K+ regulation contribute to poor exercise performance post-lung transplantation.. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), 2003.
- Johnson KM, Carey M. Assembly of a mediator/TFIID/TFIIA complex bypasses the need for an activator.. Current biology : CB, 2003.
- Fraser SF, Li JL, Carey MF, Wang XN, Sangkabutra T, Sostaric S, Selig SE, Kjeldsen K, McKenna MJ. Fatigue depresses maximal in vitro skeletal muscle Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase activity in untrained and trained individuals.. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), 2002.
- Jain A, Lam A, Vivanco I, Carey MF, Reiter RE. Identification of an androgen-dependent enhancer within the prostate stem cell antigen gene.. Molecular endocrinology (Baltimore, Md.), 2002.
- Adams JY, Johnson M, Sato M, Berger F, Gambhir SS, Carey M, Iruela-Arispe ML, Wu L. Visualization of advanced human prostate cancer lesions in living mice by a targeted gene transfer vector and optical imaging.. Nature medicine, 2002.
- Johnson KM, Wang J, Smallwood A, Arayata C, Carey M. TFIID and human mediator coactivator complexes assemble cooperatively on promoter DNA.. Genes & development, 2002.
- Selig SE, Carey MF, Menzies DG, Patterson J, Geerling RH, Williams AD, Bamroongsuk V, Toia D, Krum H, Hare DL. Reliability of isokinetic strength and aerobic power testing for patients with chronic heart failure.. Journal of cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, 2002.
- Mitsouras K, Wong B, Arayata C, Johnson RC, Carey M. The DNA architectural protein HMGB1 displays two distinct modes of action that promote enhanceosome assembly.. Molecular and cellular biology, 2002.
- Li JL, Wang XN, Fraser SF, Carey MF, Wrigley TV, McKenna MJ. Effects of fatigue and training on sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+) regulation in human skeletal muscle.. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), 2002.
- Zhang L, Adams JY, Billick E, Ilagan R, Iyer M, Le K, Smallwood A, Gambhir SS, Carey M, Wu L. Molecular engineering of a two-step transcription amplification (TSTA) system for transgene delivery in prostate cancer.. Molecular therapy : the journal of the American Society of Gene Therapy, 2002.
- Crowther GJ, Carey MF, Kemper WF, Conley KE. Control of glycolysis in contracting skeletal muscle. I. Turning it on.. American journal of physiology. Endocrinology and metabolism, 2002.
- Crowther GJ, Kemper WF, Carey MF, Conley KE. Control of glycolysis in contracting skeletal muscle. II. Turning it off.. American journal of physiology. Endocrinology and metabolism, 2002.