Michael K Ong
Professor-in-Residence, Medicine, University of California Los Angeles
1100 Glendon Avenue
Suite 850, Room 888
Los Angeles, CA 90024
11301 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90073 200 Medical Plaza Suite 420
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Michael Ong, MD PhD, is a Professor in Residence of Medicine & Health Policy and Management at UCLA. He is currently the Associate Chief of Staff for Research and Development, and was the Hospitalist Chief from 2018-2022, at the VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System. Dr. Ong is a practicing general internist. His research interests focus on improving the delivery of appropriate and efficient health care by general internal medicine physicians. His research has applied this focus in several areas of general medicine, including hospital-based care, mental health, and tobacco control. Dr. Ong co-directs the new Stakeholder-Partnered Implementation Research and Innovation Translation (SPIRIT) Learning Health System (LHS) Center of Excellence in LHS Researcher Training funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute. He co-leads the BreatheWell and ResearchWell Pods for the Semel Healthy Campus Initiative Center at UCLA. Dr. Ong is currently Chair of the State of California Tobacco Education and Research Oversight Committee, and the 2021-2023 Chair of the UC University Committee on Faculty Welfare Health Care Task Force.
- Szilagyi PG, Casillas A, Duru OK, Ong MK, Vangala S, Tseng CH, Albertin C, Humiston SG, Ross MK, Friedman SR, Evans S, Sloyan M, Bogard JE, Fox CR, Lerner C. Evaluation of behavioral economic strategies to raise influenza vaccination rates across a health system: Results from a randomized clinical trial.. Preventive medicine, 2023.
- Shields PG, Bierut L, Arenberg D, Balis D, Cinciripini PM, Davis J, Edmondson D, Feliciano J, Hitsman B, Hudmon KS, Jaklitsch MT, Leone FT, Ling P, McCarthy DE, Ong MK, Park ER, Prochaska J, Sandoval AJ, Sheffer CE, Spencer S, Studts JL, Tanvetyanon T, Tindle HA, Tong E, Triplette M, Urbanic J, Videtic G, Warner D, Whitlock CW, McCullough B, Darlow S. Smoking Cessation, Version 3.2022, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology.. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN, 2023.
- Kimchi A, Aronow HU, Ni YM, Ong MK, Mirocha J, Black JT, Auerbach AD, Ganiats TG, Greenfield S, Romano PS, Kedan I, BEAT-HF Research Group. Postdischarge Noninvasive Telemonitoring and Nurse Telephone Coaching Improve Outcomes in Heart Failure Patients With High Burden of Comorbidity.. Journal of cardiac failure, 2022.
- Lozano PM, Lane-Fall M, Franklin PD, Rothman RL, Gonzales R, Ong MK, Gould MK, Beebe TJ, Roumie CL, Guise JM, Enders FT, Forrest CB, Mendonca EA, Starrels JL, Sarkar U, Savitz LA, Moon J, Linzer M, Ralston JD, Chesley FD. Training the next generation of learning health system scientists.. Learning health systems, 2022.
- Burton BN, Arastoo S, Wu S, Liu N, Ong MK, Vazirani S. The Association of Medical Preoperative Evaluation Using Clinical Video Telehealth With Hospital Length of Stay: Descriptive Analysis.. JMIR formative research, 2022.
- Yoon J, Kizer KW, Ong MK, Zhang Y, Vanneman ME, Chow A, Phibbs CS. Health Care Access Expansions and Use of Veterans Affairs and Other Hospitals by Veterans.. JAMA health forum, 2022.
- Stocking JC, Drake C, Aldrich JM, Ong MK, Amin A, Marmor RA, Godat L, Cannesson M, Gropper MA, Romano PS, Sandrock C, Bime C, Abraham I, Utter GH. Outcomes and risk factors for delayed-onset postoperative respiratory failure: a multi-center case-control study by the University of California Critical Care Research Collaborative (UC3RC).. BMC anesthesiology, 2022.
- Quinton JK, Ong MK, Sarkisian C, Casillas A, Vangala S, Kakani P, Han M. The Impact of Telemedicine on Quality of Care for Patients with Diabetes After March 2020.. Journal of general internal medicine, 2022.
- Szilagyi PG, Albertin CS, Casillas A, Valderrama R, Duru OK, Ong MK, Vangala S, Tseng CH, Humiston SG, Evans S, Sloyan M, Bogard JE, Fox CR, Lerner C. Effect of Personalized Messages Sent by a Health System's Patient Portal on Influenza Vaccination Rates: a Randomized Clinical Trial.. Journal of general internal medicine, 2021.
- Haynes SC, Tancredi DJ, Tong K, Hoch JS, Ong MK, Ganiats TG, Evangelista LS, Black JT, Auerbach A, Romano PS, Better Effectiveness After Transition?Heart Failure (BEAT-HF) Research Group. The Effect of Rehospitalization and Emergency Department Visits on Subsequent Adherence to Weight Telemonitoring.. The Journal of cardiovascular nursing, 2021.
- Meng Y, Speier W, Ong MK, Arnold CW. Bidirectional Representation Learning From Transformers Using Multimodal Electronic Health Record Data to Predict Depression.. IEEE journal of biomedical and health informatics, 2021.
- Quinton JK, Ong MK, Vangala S, Tetleton-Burns A, Webb A, Sarkisian C, Casillas A, Kakani P, Han M, Pirtle CJ. The Association of Broadband Internet Access and Telemedicine Utilization in rural Western Tennessee: an observational study.. BMC health services research, 2021.
- Lerner C, Albertin C, Casillas A, Duru OK, Ong MK, Vangala S, Humiston S, Evans S, Sloyan M, Fox CR, Bogard JE, Friedman S, Szilagyi PG. Patient Portal Reminders for Pediatric Influenza Vaccinations: A Randomized Clinical Trial.. Pediatrics, 2021.
- Miyawaki A, Tabuchi T, Ong MK, Tsugawa Y. Age and Social Disparities in the Use of Telemedicine During the COVID-19 Pandemic in Japan: Cross-sectional Study.. Journal of medical Internet research, 2021.
- Chang ET, Yoon J, Esmaeili A, Zulman DM, Ong MK, Stockdale SE, Jimenez EE, Chu K, Atkins D, Denietolis A, Asch SM, PACT Intensive Management (PIM) Demonstration Sites, PIM National Evaluation Center, and PIM Executi. Outcomes of a randomized quality improvement trial for high-risk Veterans in year two.. Health services research, 2021.
- Quinton JK, Han M, Casillas A, Vangala S, Kakani P, Sarkisian C, Ong MK. Characteristics of Medicare beneficiaries utilizing telemedicine after July 2020.. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 2021.
- Wong MS, Luger TM, Katz ML, Stockdale SE, Ewigman NL, Jackson JL, Zulman DM, Asch SM, Ong MK, Chang ET. Outcomes that Matter: High-Needs Patients' and Primary Care Leaders' Perspectives on an Intensive Primary Care Pilot.. Journal of general internal medicine, 2021.
- Meng Y, Speier W, Ong M, Arnold CW. HCET: Hierarchical Clinical Embedding With Topic Modeling on Electronic Health Records for Predicting Future Depression.. IEEE journal of biomedical and health informatics, 2021.
- Rubenstein LV, Kronish IM, Walker RJ, Leykum LK, Ong MK, Asch SM, , The JGIM Quality Improvement and Implementation Science Workgroup. JGIM Welcomes Quality Improvement and Implementation Science Submissions on Healthcare Delivery Change.. Journal of general internal medicine, 2021.
- Ong MK, Pfeffer M, Mullur RS.. UpToDate. Telemedicine for Adults, 2021.
- Goodsmith N, Zhang L, Ong MK, Ngo VK, Miranda J, Hirsch S, Jones F, Wells K, Chung B. Implementation of a Community-Partnered Research Suicide-Risk Management Protocol: Case Study From Community Partners in Care.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2021.
- Kakani P, Sorensen A, Quinton JK, Han M, Ong MK, Kamdar N, Sarkisian CA. Patient Characteristics Associated with Telemedicine Use at a Large Academic Health System Before and After COVID-19.. Journal of general internal medicine, 2021.
- Stocking JC, Drake C, Aldrich JM, Ong MK, Amin A, Marmor RA, Godat L, Cannesson M, Gropper MA, Romano PS, Utter GH. Risk Factors Associated With Early Postoperative Respiratory Failure: A Matched Case-Control Study.. The Journal of surgical research, 2021.
- IsHak WW, Korouri S, Darwish T, Vanle B, Dang J, Edwards G, Black JT, Aronow H, Kimchi A, Spiegel B, Hedrick R, Chernoff R, Diniz MA, Mirocha J, Manoukian V, Harold J, Ong MK, Wells K, Hamilton M, Danovitch I. Personalized treatments for depressive symptoms in patients with advanced heart failure: A pragmatic randomized controlled trial.. PloS one, 2021.
- Sohn A, Speier W, Lan E, Aoki K, Fonarow GC, Ong MK, Arnold CW. Integrating remote monitoring into heart failure patients' care regimen: A pilot study.. PloS one, 2020.
- Chang E, Lin V, Goh R, Chan C, Ong MK, Hui E, Sarkisian C. Differences Between Current and Desired Physician Hypertension Management Roles Among Chinese American Seniors: a Qualitative Study.. Journal of general internal medicine, 2020.
- Wong ES, Guo R, Yoon J, Zulman DM, Asch SM, Ong MK, Chang ET. Impact of VHA's primary care intensive management program on dual system use.. Healthcare (Amsterdam, Netherlands), 2020.
- Haynes SC, Tancredi DJ, Tong K, Hoch JS, Ong MK, Ganiats TG, Evangelista LS, Black JT, Auerbach A, Romano PS, Better Effectiveness After Transition?Heart Failure (BEAT-HF) Research Group. Association of Adherence to Weight Telemonitoring With Health Care Use and Death: A Secondary Analysis of a Randomized Clinical Trial.. JAMA network open, 2020.
- Szilagyi PG, Albertin C, Casillas A, Valderrama R, Duru OK, Ong MK, Vangala S, Tseng CH, Rand CM, Humiston SG, Evans S, Sloyan M, Lerner C. Effect of Patient Portal Reminders Sent by a Health Care System on Influenza Vaccination Rates: A Randomized Clinical Trial.. JAMA internal medicine, 2020.
- Buhr RG, Jackson NJ, Kominski GF, Dubinett SM, Mangione CM, Ong MK. Readmission Rates for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Under the Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program: an Interrupted Time Series Analysis.. Journal of general internal medicine, 2020.
- Keeler C, Max W, Yerger VB, Yao T, Wang Y, Ong MK, Sung HY. Effects of Cigarette Prices on Intention to Quit, Quit Attempts, and Successful Cessation Among African American Smokers.. Nicotine & tobacco research : official journal of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, 2020.
- Ishak WW, Edwards G, Herrera N, Lin T, Hren K, Peterson M, Ngor A, Liu A, Kimchi A, Spiegel B, Hedrick R, Chernoff R, Diniz M, Mirocha J, Manoukian V, Ong M, Harold J, Danovitch I, Hamilton M. Depression in Heart Failure: A Systematic Review.. Innovations in clinical neuroscience, 2020.
- Buhr RG, Jackson NJ, Dubinett SM, Kominski GF, Mangione CM, Ong MK. Factors Associated with Differential Readmission Diagnoses Following Acute Exacerbations of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.. Journal of hospital medicine, 2020.
- Uy V, Hays RD, Xu JJ, Fayers PM, Auerbach AD, Black JT, Evangelista LS, Ganiats TG, Romano PS, Ong MK. Do the unlabeled response categories of the Minnesota Living with Heart Failure Questionnaire satisfy the monotonicity assumption of simple-summated scoring?. Quality of life research : an international journal of quality of life aspects of treatment, care and rehabilitation, 2020.
- Katzburg JR, Bradley SE, Lind JD, Fickel J, Ripley DC, Ong MK, Bergman AA, Fleming M, Lee LB, Tubbesing SA. Using Geographic Information System Mapping in Emergency Management: Expanding the Role of Nurses in Home Based Primary Care.. The Nursing clinics of North America, 2019.
- Lind JD, Fickel J, Cotner BA, Katzburg JR, Cowper-Ripley D, Fleming M, Ong MK, Bergman AA, Bradley SE, Tubbesing SA. Implementing Geographic Information Systems (GIS) into VHA Home Based Primary Care.. Geriatric nursing (New York, N.Y.), 2019.
- Stocking JC, Utter GH, Drake C, Aldrich JM, Ong MK, Amin A, Marmor RA, Godat L, Cannesson M, Gropper MA, Romano PS. Postoperative respiratory failure: An update on the validity of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Patient Safety Indicator 11 in an era of clinical documentation improvement programs.. American journal of surgery, 2019.
- Wilson AM, Jamal NI, Cheng EM, Inkelas M, Saliba D, Hanssen A, Torres JA, Ong MK. Teleneurology clinics for polyneuropathy: a pilot study.. Journal of neurology, 2019.
- Wilson AM, Ong MK, Saliba D, Jamal NI. The Veterans Affairs Neuropathy Scale: A Reliable, Remote Polyneuropathy Exam.. Frontiers in neurology, 2019.
- Sohn A, Speier W, Lan E, Aoki K, Fonarow G, Ong M, Arnold C. Assessment of Heart Failure Patients' Interest in Mobile Health Apps for Self-Care: Survey Study.. JMIR cardio, 2019.
- Buhr RG, Jackson NJ, Kominski GF, Dubinett SM, Ong MK, Mangione CM. Comorbidity and thirty-day hospital readmission odds in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a comparison of the Charlson and Elixhauser comorbidity indices.. BMC health services research, 2019.
- Katzburg J, Wilson D, Fickel J, Lind JD, Cowper-Ripley D, Fleming M, Ong MK, Bergman AA, Bradley SE, Tubbesing SA. Ensuring the Safety of Chronically Ill Veterans Enrolled in Home-Based Primary Care.. Preventing chronic disease, 2019.
- Gupta R, Steers N, Moriates C, Wali S, Braddock CH, Ong M. High-Value Care Culture Among the Future Physician Workforce in Internal Medicine.. Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges, 2019.
- Friedman SA, Ettner SL, Chuang E, Azocar F, Harwood JM, Xu H, Ong MK. The Effects of Three Kinds of Insurance Benefit Design Features on Specialty Mental Health Care Use in Managed Care.. The journal of mental health policy and economics, 2019.
- Zulman DM, Chang ET, Wong A, Yoon J, Stockdale SE, Ong MK, Rubenstein LV, Asch SM. Effects of Intensive Primary Care on High-Need Patient Experiences: Survey Findings from a Veterans Affairs Randomized Quality Improvement Trial.. Journal of general internal medicine, 2019.
- McDonald KM, Singer SJ, Gorin SS, Haggstrom DA, Hynes DM, Charns MP, Yano EM, Lucatorto MA, Zulman DM, Ong MK, Axon RN, Vogel D, Upton M. Incorporating Theory into Practice: Reconceptualizing Exemplary Care Coordination Initiatives from the US Veterans Health Delivery System.. Journal of general internal medicine, 2019.
- Bauer BS, Nguyen-Phan AL, Ong MK, Ziaeian B, Nguyen KL. Cardiology electronic consultations: Efficient and safe, but consultant satisfaction is equivocal.. Journal of telemedicine and telecare, 2019.
- Gupta R, Steers N, Moriates C, Ong M. Association between Hospitalist Productivity Payments and High-Value Care Culture.. Journal of hospital medicine, 2018.
- Ong MK, Brotman DJ. The Virtual Hospitalist: The Future is Now.. Journal of hospital medicine, 2018.
- Chung B, Ong M, Ettner SL, Jones F, Gilmore J, McCreary M, Ngo VK, Sherbourne C, Tang L, Dixon E, Koegel P, Miranda J, Wells KB. 12-Month Cost Outcomes of Community Engagement Versus Technical Assistance for Depression Quality Improvement: A Partnered, Cluster Randomized, Comparative-Effectiveness Trial.. Ethnicity & disease, 2018.
- Izquierdo A, Ong M, Pulido E, Wells KB, Berkman M, Linski B, Sauer V, Miranda J. Community Partners in Care: 6- and 12-month Outcomes of Community Engagement versus Technical Assistance to Implement Depression Collaborative Care among Depressed Older Adults.. Ethnicity & disease, 2018.
- Springgate B, Tang L, Ong M, Aoki W, Chung B, Dixon E, Johnson MD, Jones F, Landry C, Lizaola E, Mtume N, Ngo VK, Pulido E, Sherbourne C, Wright AL, Whittington Y, Williams P, Zhang L, Miranda J, Belin T, Gilmore J, Jones L, Wells KB. Comparative Effectiveness of Coalitions Versus Technical Assistance for Depression Quality Improvement in Persons with Multiple Chronic Conditions.. Ethnicity & disease, 2018.
- Izquierdo A, Ong M, Jones F, Jones L, Ganz D, Rubenstein L. Engaging African American Veterans with Health Care Access Challenges in a Community Partnered Care Coordination Initiative: A Qualitative Needs Assessment.. Ethnicity & disease, 2018.
- Belin TR, Jones A, Tang L, Chung B, Stockdale SE, Jones F, Wright A, Sherbourne CD, Perlman J, Pulido E, Ong MK, Gilmore J, Miranda J, Dixon E, Jones L, Wells KB. Maintaining Internal Validity in Community Partnered Participatory Research: Experience from the Community Partners in Care Study.. Ethnicity & disease, 2018.
- Yoon J, Chang E, Rubenstein LV, Park A, Zulman DM, Stockdale S, Ong MK, Atkins D, Schectman G, Asch SM. Impact of Primary Care Intensive Management on High-Risk Veterans' Costs and Utilization: A Randomized Quality Improvement Trial.. Annals of internal medicine, 2018.
- Chang ET, Zulman DM, Asch SM, Stockdale SE, Yoon J, Ong MK, Lee M, Simon A, Atkins D, Schectman G, Kirsh SR, Rubenstein LV, PIM Executive Committee and Demonstration Sites. An operations-partnered evaluation of care redesign for high-risk patients in the Veterans Health Administration (VHA): Study protocol for the PACT Intensive Management (PIM) randomized quality improvement evaluation.. Contemporary clinical trials, 2018.
- Arevian AC, Jeffrey J, Young AS, Ong MK. Opportunities for Flexible, On-Demand Care Delivery Through Telemedicine.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2018.
- Keeler C, Max W, Yerger V, Yao T, Ong MK, Sung HY. The Association of Menthol Cigarette Use With Quit Attempts, Successful Cessation, and Intention to Quit Across Racial/Ethnic Groups in the United States.. Nicotine & tobacco research : official journal of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, 2017.
- Sherbourne CD, Aoki W, Belin TR, Bromley E, Chung B, Dixon E, Gilmore JM, Johnson MD, Jones F, Koegel P, Khodyakov D, Landry CM, Lizaola E, Mtume N, Ngo VK, Ong MK, Perlman J, Pulido E, Sauer V, Tang L, Whittington Y, Vidaurri E, Williams P, Lucas-Wright A, Zhang L, Miranda J, Jones L, Wells K. Comparative Effectiveness of Two Models of Depression Services Quality Improvement in Health and Community Sectors.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2017.
- Favini N, Hockenberry JM, Gilman M, Jain S, Ong MK, Adams EK, Becker ER. Notice of Retraction and Replacement: Favini et al. Comparative Trends in Payment Adjustments Between Safety-Net and Other Hospitals Since the Introduction of the Hospital Readmission Reduction Program and Value-Based Purchasing. JAMA. 2017;317(15):1578-1580.. JAMA, 2017.
- Yao T, Ong MK, Max W, Keeler C, Wang Y, Yerger VB, Sung HY. Responsiveness to cigarette prices by different racial/ethnic groups of US adults.. Tobacco control, 2017.
- Ong MK, Jones L, Aoki W, Belin TR, Bromley E, Chung B, Dixon E, Johnson MD, Jones F, Koegel P, Khodyakov D, Landry CM, Lizaola E, Mtume N, Ngo VK, Perlman J, Pulido E, Sauer V, Sherbourne CD, Tang L, Vidaurri E, Whittington Y, Williams P, Lucas-Wright A, Zhang L, Southard M, Miranda J, Wells K. A Community-Partnered, Participatory, Cluster-Randomized Study of Depression Care Quality Improvement: Three-Year Outcomes.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2017.
- Kamdar BB, Kadden DJ, Vangala S, Elashoff DA, Ong MK, Martin JL, Needham DM. Feasibility of Continuous Actigraphy in Patients in a Medical Intensive Care Unit.. American journal of critical care : an official publication, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, 2017.
- Ziaeian B, Kominski GF, Ong MK, Mays VM, Brook RH, Fonarow GC. National Differences in Trends for Heart Failure Hospitalizations by Sex and Race/Ethnicity.. Circulation. Cardiovascular quality and outcomes, 2017.
- Favini N, Hockenberry JM, Gilman M, Jain S, Ong MK, Adams EK, Becker ER. Comparative Trends in Payment Adjustments Between Safety-Net and Other Hospitals Since the Introduction of the Hospital Readmission Reduction Program and Value-Based Purchasing.. JAMA, 2017.
- Harwood JM, Azocar F, Thalmayer A, Xu H, Ong MK, Tseng CH, Wells KB, Friedman S, Ettner SL. The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act Evaluation Study: Impact on Specialty Behavioral Health Care Utilization and Spending Among Carve-In Enrollees.. Medical care, 2017.
- Friedman SA, Thalmayer AG, Azocar F, Xu H, Harwood JM, Ong MK, Johnson LL, Ettner SL. The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act Evaluation Study: Impact on Mental Health Financial Requirements among Commercial "Carve-In" Plans.. Health services research, 2016.
- Kamdar BB, Martin JL, Needham DM, Ong MK. Promoting Sleep to Improve Delirium in the ICU.. Critical care medicine, 2016.
- Gupta R, Moriates C, Harrison JD, Valencia V, Ong M, Clarke R, Steers N, Hays RD, Braddock CH, Wachter R. Development of a high-value care culture survey: a modified Delphi process and psychometric evaluation.. BMJ quality & safety, 2016.
- Ettner SL, M Harwood J, Thalmayer A, Ong MK, Xu H, Bresolin MJ, Wells KB, Tseng CH, Azocar F. The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act evaluation study: Impact on specialty behavioral health utilization and expenditures among "carve-out" enrollees.. Journal of health economics, 2016.
- Landry CM, Jackson AP, Tang L, Miranda J, Chung B, Jones F, Ong MK, Wells K. The Effects of Collaborative Care Training on Case Managers' Perceived Depression-Related Services Delivery.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2016.
- Ong MK, Romano PS, Fonarow GC. Telemedicine in Heart Failure-Ineffective or Just Ill Used?-Reply.. JAMA internal medicine, 2016.
- Huesch MD, Ong MK. Lung Cancer Care Before and After Medicare Eligibility.. Inquiry : a journal of medical care organization, provision and financing, 2016.
- Huesch MD, Ong MK. Prostate Cancer Care Before and After Medicare Eligibility.. Inquiry : a journal of medical care organization, provision and financing, 2016.
- Huesch MD, Galstyan A, Ong MK, Doctor JN. Using Social Media, Online Social Networks, and Internet Search as Platforms for Public Health Interventions: A Pilot Study.. Health services research, 2016.
- Speier W, Ong MK, Arnold CW. Using phrases and document metadata to improve topic modeling of clinical reports.. Journal of biomedical informatics, 2016.
- Vasilevskis EE, Kripalani S, Ong MK, Rosenthal JT, Longnecker DE, Harmon B, Hohmann SF, Wright K, Black JT. Variability in Implementation of Interventions Aimed at Reducing Readmissions Among Patients With Heart Failure: A Survey of Teaching Hospitals.. Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges, 2016.
- Ong MK, Romano PS, Edgington S, Aronow HU, Auerbach AD, Black JT, De Marco T, Escarce JJ, Evangelista LS, Hanna B, Ganiats TG, Greenberg BH, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Kimchi A, Liu H, Lombardo D, Mangione CM, Sadeghi B, Sadeghi B, Sarrafzadeh M, Tong K, Fonarow GC, Better Effectiveness After Transition?Heart Failure (BEAT-HF) Research Group. Effectiveness of Remote Patient Monitoring After Discharge of Hospitalized Patients With Heart Failure: The Better Effectiveness After Transition -- Heart Failure (BEAT-HF) Randomized Clinical Trial.. JAMA internal medicine, 2016.
- Dinkler JM, Sugar CA, Escarce JJ, Ong MK, Mangione CM. Does Age Matter? Association Between Usual Source of Care and Hypertension Control in the US Population: Data From NHANES 2007-2012.. American journal of hypertension, 2016.
- Sadeghi B, Walling AM, Romano PS, Ahluwalia SC, Ong MK. A Hospital-Based Advance Care Planning Intervention for Patients with Heart Failure: A Feasibility Study.. Journal of palliative medicine, 2016.
- Ong MK. Tobacco Cessation--We Can Do Better.. JAMA internal medicine, 2015.
- Banka G, Edgington S, Kyulo N, Padilla T, Mosley V, Afsarmanesh N, Fonarow GC, Ong MK. Improving patient satisfaction through physician education, feedback, and incentives.. Journal of hospital medicine, 2015.
- Chung B, Ngo VK, Ong MK, Pulido E, Jones F, Gilmore J, Stoker-Mtume N, Johnson M, Tang L, Wells KB, Sherbourne C, Miranda J. Participation in Training for Depression Care Quality Improvement: A Randomized Trial of Community Engagement or Technical Support.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2015.
- Chung B, Ong M, Ettner SL, Jones F, Gilmore J, McCreary M, Sherbourne C, Ngo V, Koegel P, Tang L, Dixon E, Miranda J, Belin TR, Wells KB. 12-month outcomes of community engagement versus technical assistance to implement depression collaborative care: a partnered, cluster, randomized, comparative effectiveness trial.. Annals of internal medicine, 2014.
- McLaughlin N, Ong MK, Tabbush V, Hagigi F, Martin NA. Contemporary health care economics: an overview.. Neurosurgical focus, 2014.
- van Deen WK, van Oijen MG, Myers KD, Centeno A, Howard W, Choi JM, Roth BE, McLaughlin EM, Hollander D, Wong-Swanson B, Sack J, Ong MK, Ha CY, Esrailian E, Hommes DW. A nationwide 2010-2012 analysis of U.S. health care utilization in inflammatory bowel diseases.. Inflammatory bowel diseases, 2014.
- Yao T, Huang J, Sung HY, Ong MK, Mao Z, Jiang Y, Fong GT, Max W. Determinants of smoking-induced deprivation in China.. Tobacco control, 2014.
- Ohno-Machado L, Agha Z, Bell DS, Dahm L, Day ME, Doctor JN, Gabriel D, Kahlon MK, Kim KK, Hogarth M, Matheny ME, Meeker D, Nebeker JR, pSCANNER team. pSCANNER: patient-centered Scalable National Network for Effectiveness Research.. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association : JAMIA, 2014.
- Black JT, Romano PS, Sadeghi B, Auerbach AD, Ganiats TG, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Ong MK, BEAT-HF Research Group. A remote monitoring and telephone nurse coaching intervention to reduce readmissions among patients with heart failure: study protocol for the Better Effectiveness After Transition - Heart Failure (BEAT-HF) randomized controlled trial.. Trials, 2014.
- Yao T, Huang J, Sung HY, Ong MK, Mao Z, Jiang Y, Fong GT, Max W. Who purchases cigarettes from cheaper sources in China? Findings from the ITC China Survey.. Tobacco control, 2013.
- Huesch MD, Ong MK, Fonarow GC. Measuring heart failure care by 30-day readmission: Rethinking the quality of outcome measures.. American heart journal, 2013.
- Huesch MD, Ong MK, Fonarow GC. Comment on "the relationship between the C-statistic of a risk-adjustment model and the accuracy of hospital report cards: a Monte Carlo study".. Medical care, 2013.
- Miranda J, Ong MK, Jones L, Chung B, Dixon EL, Tang L, Gilmore J, Sherbourne C, Ngo VK, Stockdale S, Ramos E, Belin TR, Wells KB. Community-partnered evaluation of depression services for clients of community-based agencies in under-resourced communities in Los Angeles.. Journal of general internal medicine, 2013.
- Wells KB, Jones L, Chung B, Dixon EL, Tang L, Gilmore J, Sherbourne C, Ngo VK, Ong MK, Stockdale S, Ramos E, Belin TR, Miranda J. Community-partnered cluster-randomized comparative effectiveness trial of community engagement and planning or resources for services to address depression disparities.. Journal of general internal medicine, 2013.
- Huesch MD, Ong MK, Doctor JN. Evaluating other diseases with computed tomographic screening for lung cancer.. JAMA, 2013.
- Sarna L, Bialous SA, Ong MK, Wells M, Kotlerman J. Increasing nursing referral to telephone quitlines for smoking cessation using a web-based program.. Nursing research, 2012.
- Ong MK, Zhang L, Xu H, Azocar F, Ettner SL. Medicare Part D benzodiazepine exclusion and use of psychotropic medication by patients with new anxiety disorders.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2012.
- Eisenman DP, Williams MV, Glik D, Long A, Plough AL, Ong M. The public health disaster trust scale: validation of a brief measure.. Journal of public health management and practice : JPHMP, 2012.
- Ong MK, Xu H, Zhang L, Azocar F, Ettner SL. Effect of medicare part D benzodiazepine exclusion on psychotropic use in benzodiazepine users.. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 2012.
- Sarna L, Bialous S, Ong M, Wells M, Kotlerman J. Nurses' treatment of tobacco dependence in hospitalized smokers in three states.. Research in nursing & health, 2012.
- Prochaska JJ, Sung HY, Max W, Shi Y, Ong M. Validity study of the K6 scale as a measure of moderate mental distress based on mental health treatment need and utilization.. International journal of methods in psychiatric research, 2012.
- Mateo J, Ong M, Yap TA, de Bono JS. Opportunities and pitfalls of targeted therapeutic combinations in solid tumors.. American Society of Clinical Oncology educational book. American Society of Clinical Oncology. Annual Meeting, 2012.
- Ong MK, Diamant AL, Zhou Q, Park HY, Kaplan RM. Estimates of smoking-related property costs in California multiunit housing.. American journal of public health, 2011.
- Huesch MD, ?stbye T, Ong MK. Measuring the effect of policy interventions at the population level: some methodological concerns.. Health economics, 2011.
- Ong MK, Zhou Q, Sung HY. Primary care providers advising smokers to quit: comparing effectiveness between those with and without alcohol, drug, or mental disorders.. Nicotine & tobacco research : official journal of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, 2011.
- Sung HY, Prochaska JJ, Ong MK, Shi Y, Max W. Cigarette smoking and serious psychological distress: a population-based study of California adults.. Nicotine & tobacco research : official journal of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, 2011.
- Ettner SL, Azocar F, Branstrom RB, Meredith LS, Zhang L, Ong MK. Association of general medical and psychiatric comorbidities with receipt of guideline-concordant care for depression.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2010.
- Ong MK, Zhou Q, Sung HY. Sensitivity to cigarette prices among individuals with alcohol, drug, or mental disorders.. American journal of public health, 2010.
- Ong MK, Rubenstein LV. Wishing upon a STAR*D: the promise of ideal depression care by primary care providers.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2009.
- Ong MK, Mangione CM, Romano PS, Zhou Q, Auerbach AD, Chun A, Davidson B, Ganiats TG, Greenfield S, Gropper MA, Malik S, Rosenthal JT, Escarce JJ. Looking forward, looking back: assessing variations in hospital resource use and outcomes for elderly patients with heart failure.. Circulation. Cardiovascular quality and outcomes, 2009.
- Casalino LP, Dunham D, Chin MH, Bielang R, Kistner EO, Karrison TG, Ong MK, Sarkar U, McLaughlin MA, Meltzer DO. Frequency of failure to inform patients of clinically significant outpatient test results.. Archives of internal medicine, 2009.
- Yao T, Ong M, Lee A, Jiang Y, Mao Z. Smoking knowledge, attitudes, behavior, and associated factors among Chinese male surgeons.. World journal of surgery, 2009.
- Eisenman DP, Zhou Q, Ong M, Asch S, Glik D, Long A. Variations in disaster preparedness by mental health, perceived general health, and disability status.. Disaster medicine and public health preparedness, 2009.
- Eisenman DP, Glik D, Ong M, Zhou Q, Tseng CH, Long A, Fielding J, Asch S. Terrorism-related fear and avoidance behavior in a multiethnic urban population.. American journal of public health, 2008.
- Jiang Y, Ong MK, Tong EK, Yang Y, Nan Y, Gan Q, Hu TW. Chinese physicians and their smoking knowledge, attitudes, and practices.. American journal of preventive medicine, 2007.
- Ong M, Bostrom A, Vidyarthi A, McCulloch C, Auerbach A. House staff team workload and organization effects on patient outcomes in an academic general internal medicine inpatient service.. Archives of internal medicine, 2007.
- Kaplan RM, Ong M. Rationale and public health implications of changing CHD risk factor definitions.. Annual review of public health, 2007.
- Hu TW, Mao Z, Ong M, Tong E, Tao M, Jiang H, Hammond K, Smith KR, de Beyer J, Yurekli A. China at the crossroads: the economics of tobacco and health.. Tobacco control, 2006.
- Tong EK, Ong MK, Vittinghoff E, Pérez-Stable EJ. Nondaily smokers should be asked and advised to quit.. American journal of preventive medicine, 2006.
- Feldman MD, Ong MK, Lee DL, Perez-Stable EJ. Realigning economic incentives for depression care at UCSF.. Administration and policy in mental health, 2006.
- Feldman MD, Areán PA, Ong MK, Lee DL, Feldman S. Economic grand rounds: incentives for primary care providers to participate in a collaborative care program for depression.. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), 2005.
- Catalano R, Bruckner T, Hartig T, Ong M. Population stress and the Swedish sex ratio.. Paediatric and perinatal epidemiology, 2005.
- Hu TW, Mao Z, Liu Y, de Beyer J, Ong M. Smoking, standard of living, and poverty in China.. Tobacco control, 2005.
- Sung HY, Hu TW, Ong M, Keeler TE, Sheu ML. A major state tobacco tax increase, the master settlement agreement, and cigarette consumption: the California experience.. American journal of public health, 2005.
- Ong MK, Glantz SA. Free nicotine replacement therapy programs vs implementing smoke-free workplaces: a cost-effectiveness comparison.. American journal of public health, 2005.
- Sheu ML, Hu TW, Keeler TE, Ong M, Sung HY. The effect of a major cigarette price change on smoking behavior in california: a zero-inflated negative binomial model.. Health economics, 2004.
- Ong MK, Glantz SA. Cardiovascular health and economic effects of smoke-free workplaces.. The American journal of medicine, 2004.
- Ong M, Catalano R, Hartig T. A time-series analysis of the effect of increased copayments on the prescription of antidepressants, anxiolytics, and sedatives in Sweden from 1990 to 1999.. Clinical therapeutics, 2003.
- Keeler TE, Hu TW, Keith A, Manning R, Marciniak MD, Ong M, Sung HY. The benefits of switching smoking cessation drugs to over-the-counter status.. Health economics, 2002.
- Hu TW, Ong M, Lin ZH, Li E. The effects of economic reform on health insurance and the financial burden for urban workers in China.. Health economics, 1999.