UCLA Inst for Soc & Gen
BOX 957221, 3320 LSB
Los Angeles , CA 90095
Associate Professor, Institute for Society and Genetics
Member, CTSI, Gene Regulation GPB Home Area, Genetics & Genomics GPB Home Area
Can environmental exposures early on in life affect our health years later? Can our health be also determined by what our ancestors were exposed to? Those are some of the fundamental questions that my laboratory attempts to answer by developing and using state-of-the-art integrative methods.
Our work, in particular, aims to dissect the genetic and epigenetic pathways that connect environmental cues to health effects across the lifespan and across generations. We leverage the genetic tractability of the nematode C. elegans as well as ES-cell based models to examine the impact of environmental chemical exposures on germline function and epigenetic homeostasis.
The Allard laboratory is part of UCLA’s Institute for Society and Genetics and the Molecular Biology Institute. We are also affiliated with the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Molecular Toxicology Interdepartmental Graduate Program. For more information, please visit our website at: https://www.theallardlabatucla.org/ and follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/Allard_Lab_UCLA
A selected list of publications:
- Wang Harrison D, Allard Patrick Challenging dogmas: How transgenerational epigenetics reshapes our views on life Journal of experimental zoology. Part A, Ecological and integrative physiology, 2021; 297(3): 101060.
- Ooi Steen K T, Jiang Hui, Kang Yanyuan, Allard Patrick Examining the Developmental Trajectory of an Environmental health perspectives, 2021; 129(9): 97013.
- Le Goff Anne, Allard Patrick, Landecker Hannah Heritable changeability: Epimutation and the legacy of negative definition in epigenetic concepts Studies in history and philosophy of science, 2021; 86(3): 35-46.
- Verdikt Roxane, Allard Patrick Metabolo-epigenetics: the interplay of metabolism and epigenetics during early germ cells development† Biology of reproduction, 2021; 105(3): 616-624.
- Shafer Catherine M, Tseng Ashley, Allard Patrick, McEvoy Megan M Strength of Cu-efflux response in Escherichia coli coordinates metal resistance in Caenorhabditis elegans and contributes to the severity of environmental toxicity The Journal of biological chemistry, 2021; 297(3): 101060.
- Barrere-Cain Rio, Allard Patrick An Understudied Dimension: Why Age Needs to Be Considered When Studying Epigenetic-Environment Interactions Epigenetics insights, 2020; 13(9): 2516865720947014.
- Liu Jie, Yu Celia, Doherty Terence M, Akbari Omid, Allard Patrick, Rehan Virender K Perinatal nicotine exposure-induced transgenerational asthma: Effects of reexposure in F1 gestation FASEB journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, 2020; 34(9): 11444-11459.
- Bline Abigail P, Le Goff Anne, Allard Patrick What Is Lost in the Weismann Barrier? Journal of developmental biology, 2020; 8(4): 35-46.
- Chen Yichang, Panter Blake, Hussain Aleena, Gibbs Katherine, Ferreira Daniel, Allard Patrick BPA interferes with StAR-mediated mitochondrial cholesterol transport to induce germline dysfunctions Reproductive toxicology (Elmsford, N.Y.), 2019; 90(1): 24-32.
- Dubois Michel, Louvel Séverine, Le Goff Anne, Guaspare Catherine, Allard Patrick Epigenetics in the public sphere: interdisciplinary perspectives Environmental epigenetics, 2019; 5(4): dvz019.
- Shu Le, Meng Qingying, Diamante Graciel, Tsai Brandon, Chen Yen-Wei, Mikhail Andrew, Luk Helen, Ritz Beate, Allard Patrick, Yang Xia Prenatal Bisphenol A Exposure in Mice Induces Multitissue Multiomics Disruptions Linking to Cardiometabolic Disorders Endocrinology, 2019; 160(2): 409-429.
- Silverman Edwin K, Allard Patrick, Loscalzo Joseph, Mulvihill John J, Korrick Susan A, Korrick Susan A Reported environmental exposures are inversely associated with obtaining a genetic diagnosis in the Undiagnosed Diseases Network American journal of medical genetics. Part A, 2019; 179(6): 958-965.
- Weinhouse Caren, Truong Lisa, Meyer Joel N, Allard Patrick Caenorhabditis elegans as an emerging model system in environmental epigenetics Environmental and molecular mutagenesis, 2018; 59(7): 560-575.
- Angrish Michelle M, Allard Patrick, McCullough Shaun D, Druwe Ingrid L, Helbling Chadwick Lisa, Hines Erin, Chorley Brian N Epigenetic Applications in Adverse Outcome Pathways and Environmental Risk Evaluation Environmental health perspectives, 2018; 126(4): 045001.
- Camacho Jessica, Allard Patrick Histone Modifications: Epigenetic Mediators of Environmental Exposure Memory Epigenetics insights, 2018; 11(2): 2516865718803641.
- Camacho Jessica, Truong Lisa, Kurt Zeyneb, Chen Yen-Wei, Morselli Marco, Gutierrez Gerardo, Pellegrini Matteo, Yang Xia, Allard Patrick The Memory of Environmental Chemical Exposure in C. elegans Is Dependent on the Jumonji Demethylases jmjd-2 and jmjd-3/utx-1 Cell reports, 2018; 23(8): 2392-2404.
- Malloy Timothy, Zaunbrecher Virginia, Beryt Elizabeth, Judson Richard, Tice Raymond, Allard Patrick, Blake Ann, Cote Ila, Godwin Hilary, Heine Lauren, Kerzic Patrick, Kostal Jakub, Marchant Gary, McPartland Jennifer, Moran Kelly, Nel Andre, Ogunseitan Oladele, Rossi Mark, Thayer Kristina, Tickner Joel, Whittaker Margaret, Zarker Ken Advancing alternatives analysis: The role of predictive toxicology in selecting safer chemical products and processes Integrated environmental assessment and management, 2017; .
- Zaunbrecher Virginia, Beryt Elizabeth, Parodi Daniela, Telesca Donatello, Doherty Joseph, Malloy Timothy, Allard Patrick Has Toxicity Testing Moved into the 21st Century? A Survey and Analysis of Perceptions in the Field of Toxicology Environmental health perspectives, 2017; 125(8): 087024.
- Ramoni Rachel B, Mulvihill John J, Adams David R, Allard Patrick, Ashley Euan A, Bernstein Jonathan A, Gahl William A, Hamid Rizwan, Loscalzo Joseph, McCray Alexa T, Shashi Vandana, Tifft Cynthia J, Tifft Cynthia J, Wise Anastasia L The Undiagnosed Diseases Network: Accelerating Discovery about Health and Disease American journal of human genetics, 2017; 100(2): 185-192.
- Chen Yichang, Shu Le, Qiu Zhiqun, Lee Dong Yeon, Settle Sara J, Que Hee Shane, Telesca Donatello, Yang Xia, Allard Patrick Exposure to the BPA-Substitute Bisphenol S Causes Unique Alterations of Germline Function PLoS genetics, 2016; 12(7): e1006223.
- Lundby Zachary, Camacho Jessica, Allard Patrick Fast Functional Germline and Epigenetic Assays in the Nematode Caenorhabditis elegans Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.), 2016; 1473(7): 99-107.
- Parodi Daniela A, Damoiseaux Robert, Allard Patrick Comprehensive assessment of germline chemical toxicity using the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE, 2015; 4(96): 645-654.
- Allard Patrick Emerging Toxicity Models from Emerging Scientists Toxicology research, 2015; 4(3): 545-547.
- Ferreira Daniel W, Allard Patrick Models of germ cell development and their application for toxicity studies Environmental and molecular mutagenesis, 2015; 56(8): 637-49.
- Parodi Daniela A, Sjarif Jasmine, Chen Yichang, Allard Patrick Reproductive toxicity and meiotic dysfunction following exposure to the pesticides Maneb, Diazinon and Fenarimol Toxicology research, 2015; 4(3): 645-654.
- Allard Patrick, Kleinstreuer Nicole C, Knudsen Thomas B, ColaiÃ¡covo Monica P A C. elegans screening platform for the rapid assessment of chemical disruption of germline function Environmental health perspectives, 2013; 121(6): 717-24.
- Allard Patrick, ColaiÃ¡covo Monica P Mechanistic insights into the action of Bisphenol A on the germline using C. elegans Cell cycle (Georgetown, Tex.), 2011; 10(2): 183-4.
- Allard Patrick, ColaiÃ¡covo Monica P Bisphenol A impairs the double-strand break repair machinery in the germline and causes chromosome abnormalities Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2010; 107(47): 20405-10.