Member, Cell & Developmental Biology GPB Home Area, Molecular, Cellular & Integrative Physiology GPB Home Area, Neuroscience GPB Home Area
Pavak K. Shah completed his graduate studies in the lab of Dr. Nancy Allbritton at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2014. From 2014 – 2019, he was a postdoctoral fellow in the lab of Dr. Zhirong Bao at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. He then joined the Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology department at UCLA in 2019. Research in the Shah Lab concerns the mechanisms by which neuronal function emerges and is refined during embryonic development. Using the nematode C. elegans as a model, the lab employs a combination of classical genetics and modern microscopy methods in understanding how functional circuits emerge and are patterned. The lab is active in developing novel approaches to single cell analysis in vivo through the integration of advanced light microscopes with computer vision and machine learning systems to guide single cell-resolution perturbations.
A selected list of publications:
- Ghose Piya, Rashid Alina, Insley Peter, Trivedi Meera, Shah Pavak, Singhal Anupriya, Lu Yun, Bao Zhirong, Shaham Shai EFF-1 fusogen promotes phagosome sealing during cell process clearance in Caenorhabditis elegans Nature cell biology, 2018; 20(4): 393-399.
- Shah Pavak Kirit, Santella Anthony, Jacobo Adrian, Siletti Kimberly, Hudspeth A J, Bao Zhirong An In Toto Approach to Dissecting Cellular Interactions in Complex Tissues Developmental cell, 2017; 43(4): 530-540.e4.
- Shah Pavak K, Tanner Matthew R, Kovacevic Ismar, Rankin Aysha, Marshall Teagan E, Noblett Nathaniel, Tran Nhan Nguyen, Roenspies Tony, Hung Jeffrey, Chen Zheqian, Slatculescu Cristina, Perkins Theodore J, Bao Zhirong, Colavita Antonio PCP and SAX-3/Robo Pathways Cooperate to Regulate Convergent Extension-Based Nerve Cord Assembly in C. elegans Developmental cell, 2017; 41(2): 195-203.e3.
- Du Zhuo, Santella Anthony, He Fei, Shah Pavak K, Kamikawa Yuko, Bao Zhirong The Regulatory Landscape of Lineage Differentiation in a Metazoan Embryo Developmental cell, 2015; 34(5): 592-607.
- Santella Anthony, Catena Raúl, Kovacevic Ismar, Shah Pavak, Yu Zidong, Marquina-Solis Javier, Kumar Abhishek, Wu Yicong, Schaff James, Colón-Ramos Daniel, Shroff Hari, Mohler William A, Bao Zhirong WormGUIDES: an interactive single cell developmental atlas and tool for collaborative multidimensional data exploration BMC bioinformatics, 2015; 16(5): 189.
- Shah Pavak K, Walker Matthew P, Sims Christopher E, Major Michael B, Allbritton Nancy L Dynamics and evolution of β-catenin-dependent Wnt signaling revealed through massively parallel clonogenic screening Integrative biology : quantitative biosciences from nano to macro, 2014; 6(7): 673-84.
- Shah Pavak K, Herrera-Loeza Silvia Gabriela, Sims Christopher E, Yeh Jen Jen, Allbritton Nancy L Small sample sorting of primary adherent cells by automated micropallet imaging and release Cytometry. Part A : the journal of the International Society for Analytical Cytology, 2014; 85(7): 642-9.
- Wang Yuli, Ahmad Asad A, Shah Pavak K, Sims Christopher E, Magness Scott T, Allbritton Nancy L Capture and 3D culture of colonic crypts and colonoids in a microarray platform Lab on a chip, 2013; 13(23): 4625-34.
- Kovarik Michelle L, Shah Pavak K, Armistead Paul M, Allbritton Nancy L Microfluidic chemical cytometry of peptide degradation in single drug-treated acute myeloid leukemia cells Analytical chemistry, 2013; 85(10): 4991-7.
- Kovarik Michelle L, Ornoff Douglas M, Melvin Adam T, Dobes Nicholas C, Wang Yuli, Dickinson Alexandra J, Gach Philip C, Shah Pavak K, Allbritton Nancy L Micro total analysis systems: fundamental advances and applications in the laboratory, clinic, and field Analytical chemistry, 2013; 85(2): 451-72.