Robert A Jenders
HS Clinical Professor, Medicine, University of California Los Angeles
1731 E. 120th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90059
Dr. Robert Jenders' published experience focuses on the development and application of health information technology standards and their use in electronic health records, registries and clinical decision support systems. In addition, Dr. Jenders has undertaken graduate training in health informatics and computer science, and he continues to teach and practice general internal medicine. Dr. Jenders' leadership role in biomedical informatics has been recognized through service on multiple scientific program committees, as a reviewer for journals and on NIH study sections, through invited lectures in multiple countries and by election to the American College of Medical Informatics—one of the most prestigious honors in the field. Especially applicable to the Clinical and Translational Science Institute, Dr. Jenders has developed standards-based multi-institution registries of patient clinical and administrative data, and he assists units in the CTSI in conducting the requirements analysis, data modeling and system interfaces necessary to build and study the use of information technology infrastructure to collect laboratory, survey and other data in this project. He leverages his role as an elected leader in Health Level Seven International, the premier standards development organization for health information technology, to ensure that this work is fully standards-based in order to promote interoperability and generalizability of our information system solutions. I will leverage my experience in developing doctoral curricula in biomedical informatics and my role as an educator manifest in teaching tutorials at national and international meetings to contribute to the educational offerings in Biomedical Informatics through the CTSI. Dr. Jenders also holds the role as a senior faculty member, clinical & graduate school teacher and research center co-director to contribute administrative leadership to the CTSI as one of its associate directors, coordinating CTSI activity on the Charles Drew University campus and linking it to the overall CTSI to promote effective community engagement, subject recruitment and informatics infrastructure that will result in successful translational science along with my roles on the CTSI Council and the Quality and Efficiency Council and leader for the Biomedical informatics Program. In addition, Dr. Jenders is a mentor on the KL2 and TL1 programs, advisor on the KL2 program, and a member of the CREST Committee for the Workforce Development program. He also serves as an occasional mentor for senior medical student theses at Charles Drew University, the students at which are primarily African American or Latino, related to biomedical informatics.
Health Sciences Clinical Professor, Medicine, Internal Medicine
Member, Medical Informatics GPB Home Area
Member, Medical Informatics GPB Home Area
Awards and Honors
- Fellow, American Medical Informatics Association, 2019.
- Fellow (elected), Health Level Seven International, 2019.
- Fellow (elected), American College of Medical Informatics, 2005.
- Book of the Year Award, Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, 2012.
- Fellow (elected), American College of Physicians, 2004.
- Book of the Year Award, Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, 2005.
- Distinguished Poster Award (co-author), American Medical Informatics Association, 2016.
- Jenders RA. Exploration of the Decision Model and Notation (DMN) Standard for Representation of Knowledge Bases Encoded in the Arden Syntax.. Studies in health technology and informatics, 2022.
- Strasberg HR, Rhodes B, Del Fiol G, Jenders RA, Haug PJ, Kawamoto K. Contemporary clinical decision support standards using Health Level Seven International Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources.. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association : JAMIA, 2021.
- Soares A, Jenders RA, Harrison R, Schilling LM. A Comparison of Arden Syntax and Clinical Quality Language as Knowledge Representation Formalisms for Clinical Decision Support.. Applied clinical informatics, 2021.
- Jenders RA. Evaluation of the Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) Standard for Representation of Knowledge Bases Encoded in the Arden Syntax.. Studies in health technology and informatics, 2019.
- Adlassnig KP, Haug P, Jenders RA. Arden Syntax: Then, now, and in the future.. Artificial intelligence in medicine, 2018.
- Jenders RA. Evaluation of SNOMED CT as a Reference Terminology for Standardized Data Queries in the Arden Syntax.. Studies in health technology and informatics, 2017.
- Jenders RA, Adlassnig KP, Fehre K, Haug P. Evolution of the Arden Syntax: Key Technical Issues from the Standards Development Organization Perspective.. Artificial intelligence in medicine, 2016.
- Mukherjee S, Jenders RA, Delta S. Designing an Innovative Data Architecture for the Los Angeles Data Resource (LADR).. Studies in health technology and informatics, 2015.
- Jenders RA. Utility of Arden Syntax for Representation of Fuzzy Logic in Clinical Quality Measures.. Studies in health technology and informatics, 2015.
- George S, Moran E, Duran N, Jenders RA. Using animation as an information tool to advance health research literacy among minority participants.. AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. AMIA Symposium, 2013.
- Mukherjee S, Martins D, Norris KC, Jenders RA. A biomedical information system for retrieval and manipulation of NHANES data.. Studies in health technology and informatics, 2013.
- Jenders RA. Empirical analysis of knowledge bases to support structured output in the Arden syntax.. Studies in health technology and informatics, 2013.
- Kawamoto K, Jacobs J, Welch BM, Huser V, Paterno MD, Del Fiol G, Shields D, Strasberg HR, Haug PJ, Liu Z, Jenders RA, Rowed DW, Chertcoff D, Fehre K, Adlassnig KP, Curtis AC. Clinical information system services and capabilities desired for scalable, standards-based, service-oriented decision support: consensus assessment of the Health Level 7 clinical decision support Work Group.. AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. AMIA Symposium, 2012.
- Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Lobach DF, Jenders RA. Standards for scalable clinical decision support: need, current and emerging standards, gaps, and proposal for progress.. The open medical informatics journal, 2010.
- Stanfill MH, Williams M, Fenton SH, Jenders RA, Hersh WR. A systematic literature review of automated clinical coding and classification systems.. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association : JAMIA, 2010.
- Wright A, Phansalkar S, Bloomrosen M, Jenders RA, Bobb AM, Halamka JD, Kuperman G, Payne TH, Teasdale S, Vaida AJ, Bates DW. Best Practices in Clinical Decision Support: the Case of Preventive Care Reminders.. Applied clinical informatics, 2010.
- Herbst J, Jenders R, McKenna R, Marchevsky A. Evidence-based criteria to help distinguish metastatic breast cancer from primary lung adenocarcinoma on thoracic frozen section.. American journal of clinical pathology, 2009.
- Jenders RA, Jenders RA, Del Fiol G, Kawamoto K, Sailors RM. Standards in clinical decision support: activities in health level seven.. AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. AMIA Symposium, 2008.
- Jenders RA. Suitability of the Arden Syntax for representation of quality indicators.. AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. AMIA Symposium, 2008.
- Jenders RA, Osheroff JA, Sittig DF, Pifer EA, Teich JM. Recommendations for clinical decision support deployment: synthesis of a roundtable of medical directors of information systems.. AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. AMIA Symposium, 2007.
- Jenders RA. Standards in health information technology: promise and challenges.. AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. AMIA Symposium, 2007.
- Jenders RA. Classification of psychiatric disorders.. JAMA, 2005.
- Teich JM, Osheroff JA, Pifer EA, Sittig DF, Jenders RA, CDS Expert Review Panel. Clinical decision support in electronic prescribing: recommendations and an action plan: report of the joint clinical decision support workgroup.. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association : JAMIA, 2005.
- Jenders RA, Sailors RM. Convergence on a standard for representing clinical guidelines: work in health level seven.. Studies in health technology and informatics, 2004.
- Jenders RA, Corman R, Dasgupta B. Making the standard more standard: a data and query model for knowledge representation in the Arden syntax.. AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. AMIA Symposium, 2003.
- Jenders RA, Dasgupta B. Challenges in implementing a knowledge editor for the Arden Syntax: knowledge base maintenance and standardization of database linkages.. Proceedings. AMIA Symposium, 2002.