Samson A Chow
Professor, Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, University of California Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Retroviruses are RNA viruses that replicate through a DNA intermediate. In humans, infection by retroviruses can lead to AIDS, lymphoma, and leukemia. My laboratory studies the molecular mechanism of integration of a viral genome into its host cell’s DNA, a process essential for replication of HIV and other retroviruses. Retroviral integration is mediated by the viral protein integrase. We are currently focusing on understanding the biochemistry of integration, identifying integrase domains responsible for target site selection, imaging HIV infection and nuclear import of viral complexes, determining the functional interaction between integrase and reverse transcriptase during HIV replication, and developing novel retroviral vectors for delivering exogenous DNA into specific target sites. We are also studying a newly discovered human retrovirus, XMRV, and its role in tumorigenesis and other human diseases. Knowledge gained will be used for developing therapeutics for retroviral diseases and improving genetic engineering and therapy in mammalian cells.
- Song L, Ding S, Ge Z, Zhu X, Qiu C, Wang Y, Lai E, Yang W, Sun Y, Chow SA, Yu L. Nucleoside/nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitors attenuate angiogenesis and lymphangiogenesis by impairing receptor tyrosine kinases signalling in endothelial cells.. British journal of pharmacology, 2017.
- Tekeste SS, Wilkinson TA, Weiner EM, Xu X, Miller JT, Le Grice SF, Clubb RT, Chow SA. Interaction between Reverse Transcriptase and Integrase Is Required for Reverse Transcription during HIV-1 Replication.. Journal of virology, 2015.
- Kim S, Kim N, Presson AP, Metzger ME, Bonifacino AC, Sehl M, Chow SA, Crooks GM, Dunbar CE, An DS, Donahue RE, Chen IS. Dynamics of HSPC repopulation in nonhuman primates revealed by a decade-long clonal-tracking study.. Cell stem cell, 2014.
- Rusmevichientong A, Das Gupta J, Elias PS, Silverman RH, Chow SA. Analysis of single-nucleotide polymorphisms in patient-derived retrovirus integration sites reveals contamination from cell lines acutely infected by xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus.. Journal of virology, 2011.
- Kim S, Kim YC, Qi H, Su K, Morrison SL, Chow SA. Efficient identification of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 mutants resistant to a protease inhibitor by using a random mutant library.. Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy, 2011.
- Briones MS, Chow SA. A new functional role of HIV-1 integrase during uncoating of the viral core.. Immunologic research, 2010.
- Rusmevichientong A, Chow SA. Biology and pathophysiology of the new human retrovirus XMRV and its association with human disease.. Immunologic research, 2010.
- Kim S, Kim N, Presson AP, An DS, Mao SH, Bonifacino AC, Donahue RE, Chow SA, Chen IS. High-throughput, sensitive quantification of repopulating hematopoietic stem cell clones.. Journal of virology, 2010.
- Kim S, Rusmevichientong A, Dong B, Remenyi R, Silverman RH, Chow SA. Fidelity of target site duplication and sequence preference during integration of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus.. PloS one, 2010.
- Briones MS, Dobard CW, Chow SA. Role of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 integrase in uncoating of the viral core.. Journal of virology, 2010.
- Woodward CL, Chow SA. The nuclear pore complex: a new dynamic in HIV-1 replication.. Nucleus (Austin, Tex.), 2010.
- Vatakis DN, Kim S, Kim N, Chow SA, Zack JA. Human immunodeficiency virus integration efficiency and site selection in quiescent CD4+ T cells.. Journal of virology, 2009.
- Woodward CL, Prakobwanakit S, Mosessian S, Chow SA. Integrase interacts with nucleoporin NUP153 to mediate the nuclear import of human immunodeficiency virus type 1.. Journal of virology, 2009.
- Su K, Wang D, Ye J, Kim YC, Chow SA. Site-specific integration of retroviral DNA in human cells using fusion proteins consisting of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 integrase and the designed polydactyl zinc-finger protein E2C.. Methods (San Diego, Calif.), 2009.
- Wilkinson TA, Januszyk K, Phillips ML, Tekeste SS, Zhang M, Miller JT, Le Grice SF, Clubb RT, Chow SA. Identifying and characterizing a functional HIV-1 reverse transcriptase-binding site on integrase.. The Journal of biological chemistry, 2009.
- Kim S, Kim N, Dong B, Boren D, Lee SA, Das Gupta J, Gaughan C, Klein EA, Lee C, Silverman RH, Chow SA. Integration site preference of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus, a new human retrovirus associated with prostate cancer.. Journal of virology, 2008.
- Dobard CW, Briones MS, Chow SA. Molecular mechanisms by which human immunodeficiency virus type 1 integrase stimulates the early steps of reverse transcription.. Journal of virology, 2007.
- Dong B, Kim S, Hong S, Das Gupta J, Malathi K, Klein EA, Ganem D, Derisi JL, Chow SA, Silverman RH. An infectious retrovirus susceptible to an IFN antiviral pathway from human prostate tumors.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2007.
- Vatakis DN, Bristol G, Wilkinson TA, Chow SA, Zack JA. Immediate activation fails to rescue efficient human immunodeficiency virus replication in quiescent CD4+ T cells.. Journal of virology, 2007.
- Kim S, Kim Y, Liang T, Sinsheimer JS, Chow SA. A high-throughput method for cloning and sequencing human immunodeficiency virus type 1 integration sites.. Journal of virology, 2006.
- Tan W, Dong Z, Wilkinson TA, Barbas CF, Chow SA. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 incorporated with fusion proteins consisting of integrase and the designed polydactyl zinc finger protein E2C can bias integration of viral DNA into a predetermined chromosomal region in human cells.. Journal of virology, 2006.
- Brooks DG, Cohen MD, Jamieson BD, Poon B, Kitchen SG, Chow SA, Chen IS, Zack JA, Koka PS. Rapid size dependent deletion of foreign gene sequences inserted into attenuated HIV-1 upon infection in vivo: implications for vaccine development.. Current HIV research, 2005.
- Zhu K, Dobard C, Chow SA. Requirement for integrase during reverse transcription of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and the effect of cysteine mutations of integrase on its interactions with reverse transcriptase.. Journal of virology, 2004.
- Tan W, Zhu K, Segal DJ, Barbas CF, Chow SA. Fusion proteins consisting of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 integrase and the designed polydactyl zinc finger protein E2C direct integration of viral DNA into specific sites.. Journal of virology, 2004.
- Woodward CL, Wang Y, Dixon WJ, Htun H, Chow SA. Subcellular localization of feline immunodeficiency virus integrase and mapping of its karyophilic determinant.. Journal of virology, 2003.
- Holmes-Son ML, Chow SA. Correct integration mediated by integrase-LexA fusion proteins incorporated into HIV-1.. Molecular therapy : the journal of the American Society of Gene Therapy, 2002.