Samuel Wheeler French
Associate Professor-in-Residence, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90095, CA
Office Phone Number:
Faculty, Cellular and Molecular Pathology PhD Program
Samuel French is a liver pathologist and scientist who has been on faculty at the UCLA Department of Pathology since 2002. Dr. French earned his B.A. in Biophysics at U.C. Berkeley and M.D. and Ph.D. in Biochemistry at the University of Pittsburgh. He completed his residency in Pathology at UCLA as well as fellowship in gastrointestinal/liver pathology. He was a postdoctoral fellow at ucla where he worked on lymphomagenesis. He is a recipien of the Boyer-Parvin Postdoctoral Recognition Award and Cure Named New Investigator Award. Dr. French is currently developing a proteomic based program to study the developoment of liver cancer from hepatitis C viral infection.
A selected list of publications:
- Wang Geng, Chen Hsiao-Wen, Oktay Yavuz, Zhang Jin, Allen Eric L, Smith Geoffrey M, Fan Kelly C, Hong Jason S, French Samuel W, McCaffery J Michael, Lightowlers Robert N, Morse Herbert C, Koehler Carla M, Teitell Michael A PNPASE regulates RNA import into mitochondria Cell, 2010; 142(3): 456-67.
- Gonzalez Oscar, Fontanes Vanessa, Raychaudhuri Santanu, Loo Rachel, Loo Joseph, Arumugaswami Vaithilingaraja, Sun Ren, Dasgupta Asim, French Samuel W The heat shock protein inhibitor Quercetin attenuates hepatitis C virus production Hepatology (Baltimore, Md.), 2009; 50(6): 1756-64.
- Koh Stephen, Bradley Robert F, French Samuel W, Farmer Douglas G, Cortina Galen Congenital visceral myopathy with a predominantly hypertrophic pattern treated by multivisceral transplantation Human pathology, 2008; 39(6): 970-4.
- Kuraishy Ali I, French Samuel W, Sherman Mara, Herling Marco, Jones Dan, Wall Randolph, Teitell Michael A TORC2 regulates germinal center repression of the TCL1 oncoprotein to promote B cell development and inhibit transformation Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2007; 104(24): 10175-80.
- French Samuel W, Dawson David W, Chen Hsiao-Wen, Rainey Robert N, Sievers Stuart A, Balatoni Cynthia E, Wong Larry, Troke Joshua J, Nguyen Mai T N, Koehler Carla M, Teitell Michael A The TCL1 oncoprotein binds the RNase PH domains of the PNPase exoribonuclease without affecting its RNA degrading activity Cancer letters, 2007; 248(2): 198-210.
- Rainey Robert N, Glavin Jenny D, Chen Hsiao-Wen, French Samuel W, Teitell Michael A, Koehler Carla M A new function in translocation for the mitochondrial i-AAA protease Yme1: import of polynucleotide phosphorylase into the intermembrane space Molecular and cellular biology, 2006; 26(22): 8488-97.
- Chen Hsiao-Wen, Rainey Robert N, Balatoni Cynthia E, Dawson David W, Troke Joshua J, Wasiak Sylwia, Hong Jason S, McBride Heidi M, Koehler Carla M, Teitell Michael A, French Samuel W Mammalian polynucleotide phosphorylase is an intermembrane space RNase that maintains mitochondrial homeostasis Molecular and cellular biology, 2006; 26(22): 8475-87.