Assistant Adjunct Professor, Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, University of California Los Angeles
2120, 2112, 2128, 2200 CNSI, Crump Institute
570 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095
2151 CNSI, Crump Institute
570 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Faculty, Crump Institute for Molecular Imaging
Dr. Shili Xu received a B.S. in Biological Sciences and a B.S. in Economics from Peking University. He received a Ph.D. from the University of Southern California where he studied small-molecule drug design and discovery. He then studied cell metabolism, molecular imaging, and synthetic lethality for cancer therapy in a variety of small animal models as a post-doctoral fellow at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA). He is currently Director of Preclinical Imaging in the Crump Institute for Molecular Imaging, and Assistant Professor of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology at UCLA.
A selected list of publications:
- Narayanam Maruthi Kumar, Lai Bert T, Loredo Jacquie Malette, Wilson Jeré A, Eliasen Anders M, LaBerge Nicole A, Nason Malley, Cantu Annabelle L, Luton Breanna K, Xu Shili, Agnew Heather D, Murphy Jennifer M Positron Emission Tomography Tracer Design of Targeted Synthetic Peptides via Bioconjugate chemistry, 2021; .
- Yang Liu, Yan Xiaowei, Chen Jie, Zhan Qiong, Hua Yingqi, Xu Shili, Li Ziming, Wang Zhuo, Dong Yu, Zuo Dongqing, Xue Min, Tang Yin, Herschman Harvey R, Lu Shun, Shi Qihui, Wei Wei Hexokinase 2 discerns a novel circulating tumor cell population associated with poor prognosis in lung cancer patients Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2021; 118(11): .
- Xu Shili, Herschman Harvey R Comparison of the Efficacy and Sensitivity of Alternative PET Reporter Gene/PET Reporter Probe Systems That Minimize Biological Variables Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.), 2020; 2126(1): 177-190.
- Kim Stephanie S, Xu Shili, Cui Jing, Poddar Soumya, Le Thuc M, Hayrapetyan Hovhannes, Li Luyi, Wu Nanping, Moore Alexandra M, Zhou Lei, Yu Alice C, Dann Amanda M, Elliott Irmina A, Abt Evan R, Kim Woosuk, Dawson David W, Radu Caius G, Donahue Timothy R Histone deacetylase inhibition is synthetically lethal with arginine deprivation in pancreatic cancers with low argininosuccinate synthetase 1 expression Theranostics, 2020; 10(2): 829-840.
- Li Rui, Ong Stephanie L, Tran Linh M, Jing Zhe, Liu Bin, Park Stacy J, Huang Zi Ling, Walser Tonya C, Heinrich Eileen L, Lee Gina, Salehi-Rad Ramin, Crosson William P, Pagano Paul C, Paul Manash K, Xu Shili, Herschman Harvey, Krysan Kostyantyn, Dubinett Steven Chronic IL-1β-induced inflammation regulates epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition memory phenotypes via epigenetic modifications in non-small cell lung cancer Scientific reports, 2020; 10(1): 377.
- Xu Shili, Herschman Harvey R A Tumor Agnostic Therapeutic Strategy for Hexokinase 1-Null/Hexokinase 2-Positive Cancers Cancer research, 2019; 79(23): 5907-5914.
- Xu Shili, Zhou Tianyuan, Doh Hanna M, Trinh K Ryan, Catapang Art, Lee Jason T, Braas Daniel, Bayley Nicholas A, Yamada Reiko E, Vasuthasawat Alex, Sasine Joshua P, Timmerman John M, Larson Sarah M, Kim Youngsoo, MacLeod A Robert, Morrison Sherie L, Herschman Harvey R An HK2 Antisense Oligonucleotide Induces Synthetic Lethality in HK1 Cancer research, 2019; 79(10): 2748-2760.
- Elliott Irmina A, Dann Amanda M, Xu Shili, Kim Stephanie S, Abt Evan R, Kim Woosuk, Poddar Soumya, Moore Alexandra, Zhou Lei, Williams Jennifer L, Capri Joseph R, Ghukasyan Razmik, Matsumura Cynthia, Tucker D Andrew, Armstrong Wesley R, Cabebe Anthony E, Wu Nanping, Li Luyi, Le Thuc M, Radu Caius G, Donahue Timothy R Lysosome inhibition sensitizes pancreatic cancer to replication stress by aspartate depletion Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2019; 116(14): 6842-6847.
- Abt Evan R, Rosser Ethan W, Durst Matthew A, Lok Vincent, Poddar Soumya, Le Thuc M, Cho Arthur, Kim Woosuk, Wei Liu, Song Janet, Capri Joseph R, Xu Shili, Wu Nanping, Slavik Roger, Jung Michael E, Damoiseaux Robert, Czernin Johannes, Donahue Timothy R, Lavie Arnon, Radu Caius G Metabolic Modifier Screen Reveals Secondary Targets of Protein Kinase Inhibitors within Nucleotide Metabolism Cell chemical biology, 2019; 79(23): 5907-5914.
- Xu Shili, Liu Yajing, Yang Kai, Wang Hanxiao, Shergalis Andrea, Kyani Anahita, Bankhead Armand, Tamura Shuzo, Yang Suhui, Wang Xi, Wang Chih-Chen, Rehemtulla Alnawaz, Ljungman Mats, Neamati Nouri Inhibition of protein disulfide isomerase in glioblastoma causes marked downregulation of DNA repair and DNA damage response genes Theranostics, 2019; 9(8): 2282-2298.
- Machiraju Pavan Kumar, Yedla Poornachandra, Gubbala Satya Prakash, Bohari Taher, Abdul Jaleel K V, Xu Shili, Patel Rahul, Chittireddy Venkata Ramana Reddy, Boppana Kiran, Jagarlapudi Sarma A R P, Neamati Nouri, Syed Riyaz, Amanchy Ramars Identification, synthesis and evaluation of CSF1R inhibitors using fragment based drug design Computational biology and chemistry, 2019; 80(23): 374-383.
- Xu Shili, Catapang Arthur, Braas Daniel, Stiles Linsey, Doh Hanna M, Lee Jason T, Graeber Thomas G, Damoiseaux Robert, Shirihai Orian, Herschman Harvey R A precision therapeutic strategy for hexokinase 1-null, hexokinase 2-positive cancers Cancer & metabolism, 2018; 6(10): 7.
- Argus Joseph P, Wilks Moses Q, Zhou Quan D, Hsieh Wei Yuan, Khialeeva Elvira, Hoi Xen Ping, Bui Viet, Xu Shili, Yu Amy K, Wang Eric S, Herschman Harvey R, Williams Kevin J, Bensinger Steven J Development and Application of FASA, a Model for Quantifying Fatty Acid Metabolism Using Stable Isotope Labeling Cell reports, 2018; 25(10): 2919-2934.e8.
- Xu Shili, Catapang Arthur, Doh Hanna M, Bayley Nicholas A, Lee Jason T, Braas Daniel, Graeber Thomas G, Herschman Harvey R Hexokinase 2 is targetable for HK1 negative, HK2 positive tumors from a wide variety of tissues of origin Journal of nuclear medicine : official publication, Society of Nuclear Medicine, 2018; 6(10): 7.
- Krall Abigail S, Xu Shili, Graeber Thomas G, Braas Daniel, Christofk Heather R Asparagine promotes cancer cell proliferation through use as an amino acid exchange factor Nature communications, 2016; 7(10): 11457.
- Xu S, Adisetiyo H, Tamura S, Grande F, Garofalo A, Roy-Burman P, Neamati N Dual inhibition of survivin and MAOA synergistically impairs growth of PTEN-negative prostate cancer British journal of cancer, 2015; 113(2): 242-51.
- Singh Sardar Shamshair, Sarma Jagarlapudi A R P, Narasu Lakshmi, Dayam Raveendra, Xu Shili, Neamati Nouri A review on PARP1 inhibitors: Pharmacophore modeling, virtual and biological screening studies to identify novel PARP1 inhibitors Current topics in medicinal chemistry, 2014; 14(17): 2020-30.
- Xu Shili, Sankar Saranya, Neamati Nouri Protein disulfide isomerase: a promising target for cancer therapy Drug discovery today, 2014; 19(3): 222-40.
- Xu Shili, Neamati Nouri gp130: a promising drug target for cancer therapy Expert opinion on therapeutic targets, 2013; 17(11): 1303-28.
- Adisetiyo Helty, Liang Mengmeng, Liao Chun-Peng, Aycock-Williams Ari, Cohen Michael B, Xu Shili, Neamati Nouri, Conway Edward M, Cheng Chieh-Yang, Nikitin Alexander Yu, Roy-Burman Pradip Loss of survivin in the prostate epithelium impedes carcinogenesis in a mouse model of prostate adenocarcinoma PloS one, 2013; 8(7): e69484.
- Saha Sanjay, Reddy Ch Venkata Ramana, Xu Shili, Sankar Saranya, Neamati Nouri, Patro Balaram Synthesis and SAR studies of marine natural products ma’edamines A, B and their analogues Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters, 2013; 23(18): 5135-9.
- Xu Shili, Oshima Takashi, Imada Toshio, Masuda Munetaka, Debnath Bikash, Grande Fedora, Garofalo Antonio, Neamati Nouri Stabilization of MDA-7/IL-24 for colon cancer therapy Cancer letters, 2013; 335(2): 421-30.
- Xu Shili, Grande Fedora, Garofalo Antonio, Neamati Nouri Discovery of a novel orally active small-molecule gp130 inhibitor for the treatment of ovarian cancer Molecular cancer therapeutics, 2013; 12(6): 937-49.
- Debnath Bikash, Xu Shili, Grande Fedora, Garofalo Antonio, Neamati Nouri Small molecule inhibitors of CXCR4 Theranostics, 2013; 3(1): 47-75.
- Zeng Li-Fan, Wang Yong, Kazemi Roza, Xu Shili, Xu Zhong-Liang, Sanchez Tino W, Yang Liu-Meng, Debnath Bikash, Odde Srinivas, Xie Hua, Zheng Yong-Tang, Ding Jian, Neamati Nouri, Long Ya-Qiu Repositioning HIV-1 integrase inhibitors for cancer therapeutics: 1,6-naphthyridine-7-carboxamide as a promising scaffold with drug-like properties Journal of medicinal chemistry, 2012; 55(22): 9492-509.
- Xu Shili, Butkevich Alexey N, Yamada Roppei, Zhou Yu, Debnath Bikash, Duncan Roger, Zandi Ebrahim, Petasis Nicos A, Neamati Nouri Discovery of an orally active small-molecule irreversible inhibitor of protein disulfide isomerase for ovarian cancer treatment Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2012; 109(40): 16348-53.
- Debnath Bikash, Xu Shili, Neamati Nouri Small molecule inhibitors of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (Stat3) protein Journal of medicinal chemistry, 2012; 55(15): 6645-68.
- Millard Melissa, Pathania Divya, Grande Fedora, Xu Shili, Neamati Nouri Small-molecule inhibitors of p53-MDM2 interaction: the 2006-2010 update Current pharmaceutical design, 2011; 17(6): 536-59.
- Yamada Roppei, Kostova Maya B, Anchoori Ravi Kumar, Xu Shili, Neamati Nouri, Khan Saeed R Biological evaluation of paclitaxel-peptide conjugates as a model for MMP2-targeted drug delivery Cancer biology & therapy, 2010; 9(3): 192-203.