Shulamite Abra Green
Assistant Professor-in-Residence, Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles
Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior
Ahmanson Lovelace Brain Mapping Center
660 Charles E. Young Drive South
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Dr. Shulamite Green is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences at UCLA’s Semel Institute. Dr. Green received a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology at UCLA in 2014. Thereafter, she completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the UCLA Ahmanson-Lovelace Brain Mapping Center with a focus on pediatric neuroimaging. Dr. Green is currently the director of the Sensory, Cognitive, and Affective Neurodevelopment (SCAN) lab. Dr. Green’s research integrates multiple neuroimaging techniques with behavioral and psychophysiological methodology to determine the biological mechanisms underlying clinical symptoms in a way that can be directly translated to creating interventions and improving quality of life. Much of Dr. Green’s current research is focused on the neurobiological bases of sensory over-responsivity, a common and impairing condition in which individuals over-react to sensory stimuli in their environments, causing challenges with participation in school, work, family life, and the community. Dr. Green conducted some of the first fMRI work demonstrating brain differences in children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) specifically related to sensory over-responsivity, as well as identifying potential brain mechanisms through which some children with ASD regulate their sensory responses. She has continued to build on this work to identify how certain brain areas contribute to or regulate these difficulties and interfere with or facilitate attention and social functioning.
Dr. Green also has a strong interest in the impact of parenting and early caregiving adversity on development, with much of her early work focused on how parenting can confer resilience for children with developmental disabilities. Her current NIH-funded K08 career development award is focused on examining how common and distinct neural, behavioral, and clinical correlates of sensory over-responsivity in children adopted from foster care compared to those with autism.
In addition to the K08 award, Dr. Green’s work has been funded by multiple NIH grants, including a recent R01 from NIMH to study the development of sensory regulation across childhood and adolescence, and has been published in prominent scientific journals including JAMA Psychiatry, the American Journal of Psychiatry, the Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, and Translational Psychiatry. Dr. Green is also the recipient of a dissertation award from the International Society for Autism Research as well as a Brain and Behavioral Research Institute Young Investigator Award.
Dr. Green is passionate about mentoring as well as promoting justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) in her lab, the department, and academia in general. She co-leads the teaching and mentoring JEDI group for the Center for Autism Research and Treatment (CART), and holds monthly JEDI meetings in her lab.
Clinically, Dr. Green serves as the autism specialist for UCLA TIES for Families, a program that provides extensive inter-disciplinary services for families adopting children from foster care. Dr. Green conducts autism evaluations and consultations for therapists working with families in this program.
- Williams ZJ, Schaaf R, Ausderau KK, Baranek GT, Barrett DJ, Cascio CJ, Dumont RL, Eyoh EE, Failla MD, Feldman JI, Foss-Feig JH, Green HL, Green SA, He JL, Kaplan-Kahn EA, Ke?eli-Kaysili B, MacLennan K, Mailloux Z, Marco EJ, Mash LE, McKernan EP, Molholm S, Mostofsky SH, Puts NAJ, Robertson CE, Russo N, Shea N, Sideris J, Sutcliffe JS, Tavassoli T, Wallace MT, Wodka EL, Woynaroski TG. Examining the Latent Structure and Correlates of Sensory Reactivity in Autism: A Multi-site Integrative Data Analysis by the Autism Sensory Research Consortium.. Research square, 2023.
- M?ndez Leal AS, Alba LA, Cummings KK, Jung J, Waizman YH, Guassi Moreira JF, Saragosa-Harris NM, Ninova E, Waterman JM, Langley AK, Tottenham N, Silvers JA, Green SA. Sensory processing challenges as a novel link between early caregiving experiences and mental health.. Development and psychopathology, 2022.
- Ramappa S, Anderson A, Jung J, Chu R, Cummings KK, Patterson G, Okada NJ, Green SA. An Observed Assessment of Sensory Responsivity in Autism Spectrum Disorders: Associations with Diagnosis, Age, and Parent Report.. Journal of autism and developmental disorders, 2022.
- Waisman TC, Alba LA, Green SA. Barriers to Inclusive Learning for Autistic Individuals.. Pediatrics, 2022.
- Lawrence KE, Hernandez LM, Fuster E, Padgaonkar NT, Patterson G, Jung J, Okada NJ, Lowe JK, Hoekstra JN, Jack A, Aylward E, Gaab N, Van Horn JD, Bernier RA, McPartland JC, Webb SJ, Pelphrey KA, Green SA, Bookheimer SY, Geschwind DH, Dapretto M, GENDAAR Consortium. Impact of autism genetic risk on brain connectivity: a mechanism for the female protective effect.. Brain : a journal of neurology, 2022.
- Okada NJ, Liu J, Tsang T, Nosco E, McDonald NM, Cummings KK, Jung J, Patterson G, Bookheimer SY, Green SA, Jeste SS, Dapretto M. Atypical cerebellar functional connectivity at 9 months of age predicts delayed socio-communicative profiles in infants at high and low risk for autism.. Journal of child psychology and psychiatry, and allied disciplines, 2021.
- Patterson G, Cummings KK, Jung J, Okada NJ, Tottenham N, Bookheimer SY, Dapretto M, Green SA. Effects of sensory distraction and salience priming on emotion identification in autism: an fMRI study.. Journal of neurodevelopmental disorders, 2021.
- Jung J, Zbozinek TD, Cummings KK, Wilhelm FH, Dapretto M, Craske MG, Bookheimer SY, Green SA. Associations between physiological and neural measures of sensory reactivity in youth with autism.. Journal of child psychology and psychiatry, and allied disciplines, 2021.
- Wood ET, Cummings KK, Jung J, Patterson G, Okada N, Guo J, O'Neill J, Dapretto M, Bookheimer SY, Green SA. Sensory over-responsivity is related to GABAergic inhibition in thalamocortical circuits.. Translational psychiatry, 2021.
- Cummings KK, Lawrence KE, Hernandez LM, Wood ET, Bookheimer SY, Dapretto M, Green SA. Sex Differences in Salience Network Connectivity and its Relationship to Sensory Over-Responsivity in Youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder.. Autism research : official journal of the International Society for Autism Research, 2020.
- Lawrence KE, Hernandez LM, Bowman HC, Padgaonkar NT, Fuster E, Jack A, Aylward E, Gaab N, Van Horn JD, Bernier RA, Geschwind DH, McPartland JC, Nelson CA, Webb SJ, Pelphrey KA, Green SA, Bookheimer SY, Dapretto M, GENDAAR Consortium. Sex Differences in Functional Connectivity of the Salience, Default Mode, and Central Executive Networks in Youth with ASD.. Cerebral cortex (New York, N.Y. : 1991), 2020.
- Hernandez LM, Green SA, Lawrence KE, Inada M, Liu J, Bookheimer SY, Dapretto M. Social Attention in Autism: Neural Sensitivity to Speech Over Background Noise Predicts Encoding of Social Information.. Frontiers in psychiatry, 2020.
- Hernandez LM, Lawrence KE, Padgaonkar NT, Inada M, Hoekstra JN, Lowe JK, Eilbott J, Jack A, Aylward E, Gaab N, Van Horn JD, Bernier RA, McPartland JC, Webb SJ, Pelphrey KA, Green SA, Geschwind DH, Bookheimer SY, Dapretto M, GENDAAR Consortium. Imaging-genetics of sex differences in ASD: distinct effects of OXTR variants on brain connectivity.. Translational psychiatry, 2020.
- Green SA, Hernandez L, Lawrence KE, Liu J, Tsang T, Yeargin J, Cummings K, Laugeson E, Dapretto M, Bookheimer SY. Distinct Patterns of Neural Habituation and Generalization in Children and Adolescents With Autism With Low and High Sensory Overresponsivity.. The American journal of psychiatry, 2019.
- Green SA, Wood ET. The role of regulation and attention in atypical sensory processing.. Cognitive neuroscience, 2019.
- Green SA, Hernandez LM, Bowman HC, Bookheimer SY, Dapretto M. Sensory over-responsivity and social cognition in ASD: Effects of aversive sensory stimuli and attentional modulation on neural responses to social cues.. Developmental cognitive neuroscience, 2017.
- Green SA, Hernandez L, Bookheimer SY, Dapretto M. Reduced modulation of thalamocortical connectivity during exposure to sensory stimuli in ASD.. Autism research : official journal of the International Society for Autism Research, 2016.
- Green SA, Goff B, Gee DG, Gabard-Durnam L, Flannery J, Telzer EH, Humphreys KL, Louie J, Tottenham N. Discrimination of amygdala response predicts future separation anxiety in youth with early deprivation.. Journal of child psychology and psychiatry, and allied disciplines, 2016.
- Green SA, Hernandez L, Bookheimer SY, Dapretto M. Salience Network Connectivity in Autism Is Related to Brain and Behavioral Markers of Sensory Overresponsivity.. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 2016.
- Green SA, Hernandez L, Tottenham N, Krasileva K, Bookheimer SY, Dapretto M. Neurobiology of Sensory Overresponsivity in Youth With Autism Spectrum Disorders.. JAMA psychiatry, 2015.
- Zamora I, Harley EK, Green SA, Smith K, Kipke MD. How sex of children with autism spectrum disorders and access to treatment services relates to parental stress.. Autism research and treatment, 2014.
- Hernandez LM, Rudie JD, Green SA, Bookheimer S, Dapretto M. Neural signatures of autism spectrum disorders: insights into brain network dynamics.. Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, 2014.
- Green SA, Berkovits LD, Baker BL. Symptoms and development of anxiety in children with or without intellectual disability.. Journal of clinical child and adolescent psychology : the official journal for the Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, American Psychological Association, Division 53, 2014.
- Green SA, Carter AS. Predictors and course of daily living skills development in toddlers with autism spectrum disorders.. Journal of autism and developmental disorders, 2014.
- Green SA, Rudie JD, Colich NL, Wood JJ, Shirinyan D, Hernandez L, Tottenham N, Dapretto M, Bookheimer SY. Overreactive brain responses to sensory stimuli in youth with autism spectrum disorders.. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 2013.
- Green SA, Ben-Sasson A, Soto TW, Carter AS. Anxiety and sensory over-responsivity in toddlers with autism spectrum disorders: bidirectional effects across time.. Journal of autism and developmental disorders, 2012.
- Neece CL, Green SA, Baker BL. Parenting stress and child behavior problems: a transactional relationship across time.. American journal on intellectual and developmental disabilities, 2012.
- Green S, Baker B. Parents' emotion expression as a predictor of child's social competence: children with or without intellectual disability.. Journal of intellectual disability research : JIDR, 2011.
- Green SA, Ben-Sasson A. Anxiety disorders and sensory over-responsivity in children with autism spectrum disorders: is there a causal relationship?. Journal of autism and developmental disorders, 2010.