Member, Cell & Developmental Biology GPB Home Area
Siobhan obtained her BSc Honors in Plant Biology from the University of Guelph, Canada, and her Ph.D. in Plant Molecular Biology from the University of California at Davis, USA with John Harada. She began researching plant mechanics during her NSF-funded post-doc in the lab of Cris Kulemeier in Bern, Switzerland. Siobhan moved to Cambridge in January 2013 to set-up The Plant Mechanics Group at The Sainsbury Laboratory, University of Cambridge. In July of 2017, the lab moved to the Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology at UCLA. Siobhan likes anything to do with patterns and shapes in plants and algae, from sunflower patterning to epidermal cell shape.
A selected list of publications:
- Bucksch Alexander, Atta-Boateng Acheampong, Azihou Akomian F, Battogtokh Dorjsuren, Baumgartner Aly, Binder Brad M, Braybrook Siobhan A, Chang Cynthia, Coneva Viktoirya, DeWitt Thomas J, Fletcher Alexander G, Gehan Malia A, Diaz-Martinez Diego Hernan, Hong Lilan, Iyer-Pascuzzi Anjali S, Klein Laura L, Leiboff Samuel, Li Mao, Lynch Jonathan P, Maizel Alexis, Maloof Julin N, Markelz R J Cody, Martinez Ciera C, Miller Laura A, Mio Washington, Palubicki Wojtek, Poorter Hendrik, Pradal Christophe, Price Charles A, Puttonen Eetu, Reese John B, Rellán-Álvarez Rubén, Spalding Edgar P, Sparks Erin E, Topp Christopher N, Williams Joseph H, Chitwood Daniel H Morphological Plant Modeling: Unleashing Geometric and Topological Potential within the Plant Sciences Frontiers in plant science, 2017; 8: 900.
- Vőfély Róza V, Gallagher Joseph, Pisano Grace D, Bartlett Madelaine, Braybrook Siobhan A Of puzzles and pavements: a quantitative exploration of leaf epidermal cell shape The New phytologist, 2018; 27(19): 2974-2983.e2.
- Bou Daher Firas, Chen Yuanjie, Bozorg Behruz, Clough Jack, Jönsson Henrik, Braybrook Siobhan A Anisotropic growth is achieved through the additive mechanical effect of material anisotropy and elastic asymmetry eLife, 2018; 7(19): 2974-2983.e2.
- Torode Thomas A, O’Neill Rachel, Marcus Susan E, Cornuault Valérie, Pose Sara, Lauder Rebecca P, Kračun Stjepan K, Rydahl Maja Gro, Andersen Mathias C F, Willats William G T, Braybrook Siobhan A, Townsend Belinda J, Clausen Mads H, Knox J Paul Branched Pectic Galactan in Phloem-Sieve-Element Cell Walls: Implications for Cell Mechanics Plant physiology, 2018; 176(2): 1547-1558.
- Arsuffi Giulia, Braybrook Siobhan A Acid growth: an ongoing trip Journal of experimental botany, 2018; 69(2): 137-146.
- Robinson Sarah, Huflejt Michal, Barbier de Reuille Pierre, Braybrook Siobhan A, Schorderet Martine, Reinhardt Didier, Kuhlemeier Cris An Automated Confocal Micro-Extensometer Enables in Vivo Quantification of Mechanical Properties with Cellular Resolution The Plant cell, 2017; 29(12): 2959-2973.
- Braybrook Siobhan A Analyzing Cell Wall Elasticity After Hormone Treatment: An Example Using Tobacco BY-2 Cells and Auxin Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.), 2017; 1497(15): 125-133.
- Carter Ross, Woolfenden Hugh, Baillie Alice, Amsbury Sam, Carroll Sarah, Healicon Eleanor, Sovatzoglou Spyros, Braybrook Sioban, Gray Julie E, Hobbs Jamie, Morris Richard J, Fleming Andrew J Stomatal Opening Involves Polar, Not Radial, Stiffening Of Guard Cells Current biology : CB, 2017; 27(19): 2974-2983.e2.
- Linardić Marina, Braybrook Siobhan A Towards an understanding of spiral patterning in the Sargassum muticum shoot apex Scientific reports, 2017; 7(1): 13887.
- Braybrook Siobhan A Plant Development: Lessons from Getting It Twisted Current biology : CB, 2017; 27(15): R758-R760.
- Braybrook Siobhan A Measuring the elasticity of plant cells with atomic force microscopy Methods in cell biology, 2015; 125(15): 237-54.
- Daher Firas Bou, Braybrook Siobhan A How to let go: pectin and plant cell adhesion Frontiers in plant science, 2015; 6(15): 523.
- Kong Zhaosheng, Ioki Motohide, Braybrook Siobhan, Li Shundai, Ye Zheng-Hua, Julie Lee Yuh-Ru, Hotta Takashi, Chang Anny, Tian Juan, Wang Guangda, Liu Bo Kinesin-4 Functions in Vesicular Transport on Cortical Microtubules and Regulates Cell Wall Mechanics during Cell Elongation in Plants Molecular plant, 2015; 8(7): 1011-23.
- Weber Alain, Braybrook Siobhan, Huflejt Michal, Mosca Gabriella, Routier-Kierzkowska Anne-Lise, Smith Richard S Measuring the mechanical properties of plant cells by combining micro-indentation with osmotic treatments Journal of experimental botany, 2015; 66(11): 3229-41.
- Milani Pascale, Braybrook Siobhan A, Boudaoud Arezki Shrinking the hammer: micromechanical approaches to morphogenesis Journal of experimental botany, 2013; 64(15): 4651-62.
- Braybrook Siobhan A, Peaucelle Alexis Mechano-chemical aspects of organ formation in Arabidopsis thaliana: the relationship between auxin and pectin PloS one, 2013; 8(3): e57813.
- Chitwood Daniel H, Headland Lauren R, Ranjan Aashish, Martinez Ciera C, Braybrook Siobhan A, Koenig Daniel P, Kuhlemeier Cris, Smith Richard S, Sinha Neelima R Leaf asymmetry as a developmental constraint imposed by auxin-dependent phyllotactic patterning The Plant cell, 2012; 24(6): 2318-27.
- Peaucelle Alexis, Braybrook Siobhan A, Le Guillou Laurent, Bron Emeric, Kuhlemeier Cris, Höfte Herman Pectin-induced changes in cell wall mechanics underlie organ initiation in Arabidopsis Current biology : CB, 2011; 21(20): 1720-6.