Su Yon Jung
“In cancer epidemiologic studies, behavioral and observational studies have been conducted in parallel with genome/epigenome-wide association studies. Cancer researchers widely agree that one-sided research (either behavioral or genomic) cannot completely present the essential risk factors of cancers, so they have now conducted interdisciplinary collaborative studies. My molecular genomic epidemiology to incorporate hormonal and behavioral determinants in cancer prevention and prognosis will afford a rich opportunity for collaboration between the two research areas by its incorporation of the rigorous epidemiologic strategy into the genetic/epigenetic study approach, to disentangle the complicated effects of gene–environment/behavior interactions on cancer.”
Dr. Su Yon Jung, an Assistant Professor in the UCLA School of Nursing, is a molecuar genomic cancer epidemiologist with expertise in study design and data quality assurance, statistically analytic approach, interpretation, and evaluation. Additionally, she was an oncology specialist. During her graduate studies, Dr. Jung analyzed hospital-based metastatic breast cancer data to identify prognostic factors for breast cancer survival. Dr. Jung completed a post doctoral fellowship at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. Jung’s research at UCLA has focused on identifying cancer biomarkers and their genomic mechanisms as potential strategies for cancer prevention. Her genetic/epigenomic approaches is to detect the effect of gene-environment/behavior interactions on the pathways connecting cancer biomarkers to cancer carcinogenesis/prognosis.
A selected list of publications:
- Jung Su Yon, Sobel Eric M, Pellegrini Matteo, Yu Herbert, Papp Jeanette C Synergistic Effects of Genetic Variants of Glucose Homeostasis and Lifelong Exposures to Cigarette Smoking, Female Hormones, and Dietary Fat Intake on Primary Colorectal Cancer Development in African and Hispanic/Latino American Women Frontiers in oncology, 2021; 11(6): 760243.
- Jung Su Yon Genetic Signatures of Glucose Homeostasis: Synergistic Interplay With Long-Term Exposure to Cigarette Smoking in Development of Primary Colorectal Cancer Among African American Women Clinical and translational gastroenterology, 2021; 12(10): e00412.
- Jung Su Yon, Yu Herbert, Pellegrini Matteo, Papp Jeanette C, Sobel Eric M, Zhang Zuo-Feng Genetically determined elevated C-reactive protein associated with primary colorectal cancer risk: Mendelian randomization with lifestyle interactions American journal of cancer research, 2021; 11(4): 1733-1753.
- Nam Gina E, Zhang Zuo-Feng, Rao Jianyu, Zhou Hua, Jung Su Yon Interactions Between Adiponectin-Pathway Polymorphisms and Obesity on Postmenopausal Breast Cancer Risk Among African American Women: The WHI SHARe Study Frontiers in oncology, 2021; 11(9): 698198.
- Jung Su Yon, Papp Jeanette C, Pellegrini Matteo, Yu Herbert, Sobel Eric M Molecular Biology Networks and Key Gene Regulators for Inflammatory Biomarkers Shared by Breast Cancer Development: Multi-Omics Systems Analysis Biomolecules, 2021; 11(9): e00412.
- Jung Su Yon Multi-Omics Data Analysis Uncovers Molecular Networks and Gene Regulators for Metabolic Biomarkers Biomolecules, 2021; 11(3): 1733-1753.
- Jung Su Yon, Scott Peter A, Papp Jeanette C, Sobel Eric M, Pellegrini Matteo, Yu Herbert, Han Sihao, Zhang Zuo-Feng Genome-wide Association Analysis of Proinflammatory Cytokines and Gene-lifestyle Interaction for Invasive Breast Cancer Risk: The WHI dbGaP Study Cancer prevention research (Philadelphia, Pa.), 2021; 14(1): 41-54.
- Jung Su Yon, Papp Jeanette C, Sobel Eric M, Pellegrini Matteo, Yu Herbert, Zhang Zuo-Feng Pro-inflammatory cytokine polymorphisms and interactions with dietary alcohol and estrogen, risk factors for invasive breast cancer using a post genome-wide analysis for gene-gene and gene-lifestyle interaction Scientific reports, 2021; 11(1): 1058.
- Jung Su Yon, Papp Jeanette C, Sobel Eric M, Zhang Zuo-Feng Mendelian Randomization Study: The Association Between Metabolic Pathways and Colorectal Cancer Risk Frontiers in oncology, 2020; 10(9): 1005.
- Jung Su Yon, Papp Jeanette C, Sobel Eric M, Yu Herbert, Zhang Zuo-Feng Breast Cancer Risk and Insulin Resistance: Post Genome-Wide Gene-Environment Interaction Study Using a Random Survival Forest Cancer research, 2019; 79(10): 2784-2794.
- Jung Su Yon, Mancuso Nick, Yu Herbert, Papp Jeanette, Sobel Eric, Zhang Zuo-Feng Genome-Wide Meta-analysis of Gene-Environmental Interaction for Insulin Resistance Phenotypes and Breast Cancer Risk in Postmenopausal Women Cancer prevention research (Philadelphia, Pa.), 2019; 12(1): 31-42.
- Jung Su Yon, Ho Gloria, Rohan Thomas, Strickler Howard, Bea Jennifer, Papp Jeanette, Sobel Eric, Zhang Zuo-Feng, Crandall Carolyn Interaction of insulin-like growth factor-I and insulin resistance-related genetic variants with lifestyle factors on postmenopausal breast cancer risk Breast cancer research and treatment, 2017; 164(2): 475-495.
- Jung Su Yon, Sobel Eric M, Papp Jeanette C, Zhang Zuo-Feng Effect of genetic variants and traits related to glucose metabolism and their interaction with obesity on breast and colorectal cancer risk among postmenopausal women BMC cancer, 2017; 17(1): 290.
- Jung Su Yon, Vitolins Mara Z, Paskett Electra D, Chang Shine Exogenous estrogen as mediator of racial differences in bioactive insulin-like growth factor-I levels among postmenopausal women The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences, 2015; 70(4): 495-502.
- Frazier-Wood Alexis C, Kim Jihye, Davis Jennifer S, Jung Su Yon, Chang Shine In cross-sectional observations, dietary quality is not associated with CVD risk in women; in men the positive association is accounted for by BMI The British journal of nutrition, 2015; 113(8): 1244-53.
- Jung Su Yon, Vitolins Mara Z, Fenton Jenifer, Frazier-Wood Alexis C, Hursting Stephen D, Chang Shine Risk profiles for weight gain among postmenopausal women: a classification and regression tree analysis approach PloS one, 2015; 10(3): e0121430.
- Paxton Raheem J, Jung Su Yon, Vitolins Mara Z, Fenton Jenifer, Paskett Electra, Pollak Michael, Hays-Grudo Jennifer, Hursting Stephen D, Chang Shine Associations between time spent sitting and cancer-related biomarkers in postmenopausal women: an exploration of effect modifiers Cancer causes & control : CCC, 2014; 25(11): 1427-37.
- Jung Su Yon, Hursting Stephen D, Guindani Michele, Vitolins Mara Z, Paskett Electra, Chang Shine Bioavailable insulin-like growth factor-I inversely related to weight gain in postmenopausal women regardless of exogenous estrogen Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention : a publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology, 2014; 23(3): 534-44.
- Jung Su Yon, Rosenzweig Margaret Sequential Metastatic Breast Cancer Chemotherapy: Should the Median be the Message? Frontiers in public health, 2013; 1(22): 49.
- Jung Su Yon, Rosenzweig Margaret, Linkov Faina, Brufsky Adam, Weissfeld Joel L, Sereika Susan M Comorbidity as a mediator of survival disparity between younger and older women diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer Hypertension (Dallas, Tex. : 1979), 2012; 59(2): 205-11.
- Jung Su Yon, Rosenzweig Margaret, Sereika Susan M, Linkov Faina, Brufsky Adam, Weissfeld Joel L Factors associated with mortality after breast cancer metastasis Cancer causes & control : CCC, 2012; 23(1): 103-12.
- Jung Su Yon, Sereika Susan M, Linkov Faina, Brufsky Adam, Weissfeld Joel L, Rosenzweig Margaret The effect of delays in treatment for breast cancer metastasis on survival Breast cancer research and treatment, 2011; 130(3): 953-64.