Tamer I Sallam
Associate Professor, Medicine, University of California Los Angeles
Member, Gene Regulation GPB Home Area, Molecular, Cellular & Integrative Physiology GPB Home Area
Dr. Sallam is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and a clinical cardiologist at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. He is a member of the Atherosclerosis Research Unit and Cardiovascular Theme Initiative at UCLA. Dr. Sallam graduated from the University of California, Irvine School of Medicine. He completed residency and chief residency training in Internal Medicine at Yale, followed by Cardiology fellowship training at UCLA. Dr. Sallam graduated from the STAR program at UCLA earning a PhD in Molecular, Cellular and Integrative Physiology. The Sallam Lab investigates the role of regulatory RNAs in cardiometabolic disease with a focus on the contributions of lncRNAs and epigentic/epitranscriptomic mechanisms in gene phenotype relationships. In 2015, Dr. Sallam was awarded the Lauren B. Leichtman and Arthur E. Levine Cardiovascular Discovery Fund investigatorship at UCLA. Dr. Sallam is the recipient of an NIH K Award, American College of Cardiology Presidential Career Development Award, American Heart Association Early Career Investigator recognition, and American Society for Clinical Investigation Young Investigator Award. Dr. Sallam currently serves as co-director of the UCLA center for Cholesterol Management and Associate Director of the UCLA Specialty Training and Advanced Research (STAR) Program. The Sallam Lab is currently funded by multiple NIH R01 grants and American Heart Association Transformational Project Award.
- Vuong JT, Stein-Merlob AF, Nayeri A, Sallam T, Neilan TG, Yang EH. Immune Checkpoint Therapies and Atherosclerosis: Mechanisms and Clinical Implications: JACC State-of-the-Art Review.. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2022.
- Repetti GG, Sallam T. The promise of MicroRNAs in myocardial infarction: Mirage or reality?. Trends in cardiovascular medicine, 2022.
- Kallapur A, Sallam T. Pharmacotherapy in familial hypercholesterolemia - Current state and emerging paradigms.. Trends in cardiovascular medicine, 2021.
- Kan RL, Chen J, Sallam T. Crosstalk between epitranscriptomic and epigenetic mechanisms in gene regulation.. Trends in genetics : TIG, 2021.
- Salisbury DA, Casero D, Zhang Z, Wang D, Kim J, Wu X, Vergnes L, Mirza AH, Leon-Mimila P, Williams KJ, Huertas-Vazquez A, Jaffrey SR, Reue K, Chen J, Sallam T. Transcriptional regulation of N6-methyladenosine orchestrates sex-dimorphic metabolic traits.. Nature metabolism, 2021.
- Wang D, Sallam T. Where in the (lncRNA) World Is CARMN?: Safeguarding Against Vascular Dysfunction.. Circulation research, 2021.
- Sallam T. Cardiovascular Outcomes in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Are We Dropping the Anchor or Dropping the Ball?. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2021.
- Middlekauff HR, William KJ, Su B, Haptonstall K, Araujo JA, Wu X, Kim J, Sallam T. Changes in lipid composition associated with electronic cigarette use.. Journal of translational medicine, 2020.
- Trevillyan JM, Moser C, Currier JS, Sallam T. Immune Biomarkers in the Prediction of Future Myocardial Infarctions in People With Human Immunodeficiency Virus.. Clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, 2020.
- Zhang Z, Feng AC, Salisbury D, Liu X, Wu X, Kim J, Lapina I, Wang D, Lee B, Fraga J, Pan C, Williams KJ, Lusis AJ, Scumpia P, Sallam T. Collaborative interactions of heterogenous ribonucleoproteins contribute to transcriptional regulation of sterol metabolism in mice.. Nature communications, 2020.
- Cheng J, Cheng A, Clifford BL, Wu X, Hedin U, Maegdefessel L, Pamir N, Sallam T, Tarling EJ, de Aguiar Vallim TQ. MicroRNA-144 Silencing Protects Against Atherosclerosis in Male, but Not Female Mice.. Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology, 2019.
- Blázquez-Medela AM, Jumabay M, Rajbhandari P, Sallam T, Guo Y, Yao J, Vergnes L, Reue K, Zhang L, Yao Y, Fogelman AM, Tontonoz P, Lusis AJ, Wu X, Boström KI. Noggin depletion in adipocytes promotes obesity in mice.. Molecular metabolism, 2019.
- Shih DM, Meng Y, Sallam T, Vergnes L, Shu ML, Reue K, Tontonoz P, Fogelman AM, Lusis AJ, Reddy ST. PON2 Deficiency Leads to Increased Susceptibility to Diet-Induced Obesity.. Antioxidants (Basel, Switzerland), 2019.
- Sallam T, Tontonoz P. Lnc-ing microRNA activity to atheroprotection.. Nature metabolism, 2019.
- Zhang Z, Salisbury D, Sallam T. Long Noncoding RNAs in Atherosclerosis: JACC Review Topic of the Week.. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2018.
- Sallam T, Jones M, Thomas BJ, Wu X, Gilliland T, Qian K, Eskin A, Casero D, Zhang Z, Sandhu J, Salisbury D, Rajbhandari P, Civelek M, Hong C, Ito A, Liu X, Daniel B, Lusis AJ, Whitelegge J, Nagy L, Castrillo A, Smale S, Tontonoz P. Transcriptional regulation of macrophage cholesterol efflux and atherogenesis by a long noncoding RNA.. Nature medicine, 2018.
- Sallam T, Sandhu J, Tontonoz P. Long Noncoding RNA Discovery in Cardiovascular Disease: Decoding Form to Function.. Circulation research, 2018.
- Rajbhandari P, Thomas BJ, Feng AC, Hong C, Wang J, Vergnes L, Sallam T, Wang B, Sandhu J, Seldin MM, Lusis AJ, Fong LG, Katz M, Lee R, Young SG, Reue K, Smale ST, Tontonoz P. IL-10 Signaling Remodels Adipose Chromatin Architecture to Limit Thermogenesis and Energy Expenditure.. Cell, 2017.
- Zhang L, Rajbhandari P, Priest C, Sandhu J, Wu X, Temel R, Castrillo A, de Aguiar Vallim TQ, Sallam T, Tontonoz P. Inhibition of cholesterol biosynthesis through RNF145-dependent ubiquitination of SCAP.. eLife, 2017.
- Tontonoz P, Wu X, Jones M, Zhang Z, Salisbury D, Sallam T. Long Noncoding RNA Facilitated Gene Therapy Reduces Atherosclerosis in a Murine Model of Familial Hypercholesterolemia.. Circulation, 2017.
- Watson KE, Sallam T. MY APPROACH to the Patient With Memory Loss Who Needs a Statin.. Trends in cardiovascular medicine, 2016.
- Sallam T, Jones MC, Gilliland T, Zhang L, Wu X, Eskin A, Sandhu J, Casero D, Vallim TQ, Hong C, Katz M, Lee R, Whitelegge J, Tontonoz P. Feedback modulation of cholesterol metabolism by the lipid-responsive non-coding RNA LeXis.. Nature, 2016.
- Hoang-Yen Tran D, Hoang-Ngoc Tran D, Mattai SA, Sallam T, Ortiz C, Lee EC, Robbins L, Ho S, Lee JE, Fisseha E, Shieh C, Sideri A, Shih DQ, Fleshner P, McGovern DP, Vu M, Hing TC, Bakirtzi K, Cheng M, Su B, Law I, Karagiannides I, Targan SR, Gallo RL, Li Z, Koon HW. Cathelicidin suppresses lipid accumulation and hepatic steatosis by inhibition of the CD36 receptor.. International journal of obesity (2005), 2016.
- Parks BW, Sallam T, Mehrabian M, Psychogios N, Hui ST, Norheim F, Castellani LW, Rau CD, Pan C, Phun J, Zhou Z, Yang WP, Neuhaus I, Gargalovic PS, Kirchgessner TG, Graham M, Lee R, Tontonoz P, Gerszten RE, Hevener AL, Lusis AJ. Genetic architecture of insulin resistance in the mouse.. Cell metabolism, 2015.
- Sallam T, Ito A, Rong X, Kim J, van Stijn C, Chamberlain BT, Jung ME, Chao LC, Jones M, Gilliland T, Wu X, Su GL, Tangirala RK, Tontonoz P, Hong C. The macrophage LBP gene is an LXR target that promotes macrophage survival and atherosclerosis.. Journal of lipid research, 2014.
- Edris A, Sallam T, Traina MI. A wrong turn in embryologic development: a case of a primary right ventricular intracardiac tumor.. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2014.
- Sallam T, Watson KE. Predictors of cardiovascular risk in women.. Women's health (London, England), 2013.
- Sallam T, Tobis J. Rebuttal.. Catheterization and cardiovascular interventions : official journal of the Society for Cardiac Angiography & Interventions, 2013.
- Sallam T, Cheng H, Demer LL, Tintut Y. Regulatory circuits controlling vascular cell calcification.. Cellular and molecular life sciences : CMLS, 2012.
- Sallam T, Levi D, Tobis J. Coil embolization of left coronary artery pseudoaneurysms arising as a complication of percutaneous coronary intervention.. Catheterization and cardiovascular interventions : official journal of the Society for Cardiac Angiography & Interventions, 2012.