Associate Professor In-Residence, Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences
Member, Brain Research Institute, Neuroscience GPB Home Area
Dr. Ziva Cooper is the Director of the UCLA Cannabis Research Initiative in the Jane and Terry Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior and Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences and Department of Anesthesiology at the David Geffen School of Medicine. Her current research involves understanding variables that influence both the therapeutic potential and adverse effects of cannabis and cannabinoids through double-blind, placebo-controlled studies. Current funded projects include 1) understanding differences between men and women in their response to the abuse-related and pain-relieving effects, and the role that circulating hormones and endocannabinoids contribute to these differences, 2) the potential for THC and CBD to reduce reliance on opioids, 3) impact of cannabis use on HIV-associated inflammation, and 4) the effectiveness of cannabidiol to address symptoms associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Dr. Cooper served on the National Academies of Sciences Committee on the Health Effects of Cannabis that recently published a comprehensive consensus report of the health effects of cannabis and cannabinoids. She is past president of the International Study Group Investigating Drugs as Reinforcers, a Board Director for the College on Problems of Drug Dependence, an Associate Editor of The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, and is on several Editorial Boards of journals including Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research and Neuropsychopharmacology.
A selected list of publications:
- Lake Stephanie, Walsh Zach, Kerr Thomas, Cooper Ziva D, Buxton Jane, Wood Evan, Ware Mark A, Milloy M J Frequency of cannabis and illicit opioid use among people who use drugs and report chronic pain: A longitudinal analysis PLoS medicine, 2019; 16(11): e1002967.
- Bedi Gillinder, Hao Xuejun, Van Dam Nicholas T, Cooper Ziva D, Rubin Eric, Vadhan Nehal P, Marino Leslie, Haney Margaret Social motivational processing and interpersonal function in aging cocaine smokers Addiction biology, 2019; 24(5): 1044-1055.
- Adinoff Bryon, Cooper Ziva D Cannabis legalization: progress in harm reduction approaches for substance use and misuse The American journal of drug and alcohol abuse, 2019; 45(6): 707-712.
- Chao Thomas, Haney Margaret, Cooper Ziva D, Vadhan Nehal P, Van Dam Nicholas T, Van Snellenberg Jared, Bedi Gillinder Cognitive function in aging cocaine smokers Journal of psychopharmacology (Oxford, England), 2019; 33(7): 801-810.
- Cooper Ziva D, Abrams Donald I Considering abuse liability and neurocognitive effects of cannabis and cannabis-derived products when assessing analgesic efficacy: a comprehensive review of randomized-controlled studies The American journal of drug and alcohol abuse, 2019; 45(6): 580-595.
- Haney Margaret, Cooper Ziva D, Bedi Gillinder, Herrmann Evan, Comer Sandra D, Reed Stephanie Collins, Foltin Richard W, Levin Frances R Guanfacine decreases symptoms of cannabis withdrawal in daily cannabis smokers Addiction biology, 2019; 24(4): 707-716.
- Cooper Ziva D, Adinoff Bryon Necessity of addressing motivations for cannabis use to guide research The American journal of drug and alcohol abuse, 2019; 45(6): 547-550.
- Herrmann Evan S, Cooper Ziva D, Bedi Gillinder, Ramesh Divya, Reed Stephanie Collins, Comer Sandra D, Foltin Richard W, Haney Margaret Varenicline and nabilone in tobacco and cannabis co-users: effects on tobacco abstinence, withdrawal and a laboratory model of cannabis relapse Addiction biology, 2019; 24(4): 765-776.
- Cooper Ziva D, Bedi Gillinder, Ramesh Divya, Balter Rebecca, Comer Sandra D, Haney Margaret Impact of co-administration of oxycodone and smoked cannabis on analgesia and abuse liability Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, 2018; 43(10): 2046-2055.
- Piomelli Daniele, Weiss Susan, Boyd Graham, Pacula Rosalie Liccardo, Cooper Ziva Cannabis and the Opioid Crisis Cannabis and cannabinoid research, 2018; 3(1): 108-116.
- Cooper Ziva D, Poklis Justin L, Liu Fei Methodology for controlled administration of smoked synthetic cannabinoids JWH-018 and JWH-073 Neuropharmacology, 2018; 134(Pt A): 92-100.
- Cooper Ziva D, Craft Rebecca M Sex-Dependent Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: A Translational Perspective Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, 2018; 43(1): 34-51.
- Piomelli Daniele, Cooper Ziva, Abrams Donald, Grant Igor, Patel Sachin A Guide to the National Academy of Science Report on Cannabis: An Exclusive Discussion with Panel Members Cannabis and cannabinoid research, 2017; 2(1): 155-159.
- Cooper Ziva D, Haney Margaret Sex-dependent effects of cannabis-induced analgesia Drug and alcohol dependence, 2016; 167(1): 112-20.
- Herrmann Evan S, Cooper Ziva D, Bedi Gillinder, Ramesh Divya, Reed Stephanie C, Comer Sandra D, Foltin Richard W, Haney Margaret Effects of zolpidem alone and in combination with nabilone on cannabis withdrawal and a laboratory model of relapse in cannabis users Psychopharmacology, 2016; 233(13): 2469-78.
- Haney Margaret, Malcolm Robert J, Babalonis Shanna, Nuzzo Paul A, Cooper Ziva D, Bedi Gillinder, Gray Kevin M, McRae-Clark Aimee, Lofwall Michelle R, Sparenborg Steven, Walsh Sharon L Oral Cannabidiol does not Alter the Subjective, Reinforcing or Cardiovascular Effects of Smoked Cannabis Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, 2016; 41(8): 1974-82.
- Cooper Ziva D, Johnson Kirk W, Pavlicova Martina, Glass Andrew, Vosburg Suzanne K, Sullivan Maria A, Manubay Jeanne M, Martinez Diana M, Jones Jermaine D, Saccone Phillip A, Comer Sandra D The effects of ibudilast, a glial activation inhibitor, on opioid withdrawal symptoms in opioid-dependent volunteers Addiction biology, 2016; 21(4): 895-903.
- Cooper Ziva D Adverse Effects of Synthetic Cannabinoids: Management of Acute Toxicity and Withdrawal Current psychiatry reports, 2016; 18(5): 52.
- Haney Margaret, Ramesh Divya, Glass Andrew, Pavlicova Martina, Bedi Gillinder, Cooper Ziva D Naltrexone Maintenance Decreases Cannabis Self-Administration and Subjective Effects in Daily Cannabis Smokers Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, 2015; 40(11): 2489-98.
- Balter Rebecca E, Cooper Ziva D, Haney Margaret Novel Pharmacologic Approaches to Treating Cannabis Use Disorder Current addiction reports, 2014; 1(2): 137-143.